• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 640 94.3%

• Total voters

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol
I'm just wondering if a(not so) small monitor + a sub could compete with a beast like the 801 D4 for about 30% of the cost because I've always dreamed about the 800 series and big Focals when I was younger and I'll never be able to afford them
Big budget B&W are mediocre performance for a premium price. Super expensive Focals are also almost certainly overpriced, until/unless measurements prove otherwise.

Trell

Major Contributor
22179239.jpg

So many posts and threads here and sometimes it feels still like at day one...
The anticipation of a possible purchase can give more pleasure than the act of buying or owning it, which incidentally also explains why so many loose interest in their latest acquisition.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The anticipation of a possible purchase can give more pleasure than the act of buying or owning it, which incidentally also explains why so many loose interest in their latest acquisition.
Very true words!

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then I only hope what @Pearljam5000 is going to buy eventually meets the excitement and expectations from >1700 posts! Good thing this is the right place for such anticipation, as we will do our best here to provide reliable objective data and evidence to help Pearljam make the best purchase possible whenever that time comes! :) I would have saved a lot if I was similarly patient, and just saved up and got Genelec 8361A’s or Revel F328Be’s!

YSC

Major Contributor
Big budget B&W are mediocre performance for a premium price. Super expensive Focals are also almost certainly overpriced, until/unless measurements prove otherwise.
For B&W I never feel the objective measurement and subjective listening makes me wanted any of them. For floor standers I remember I loved the KEF blade and some i forgot the name focal in a showroom. For focal I feel they likely measured quite well with flattish FR but no proof. Though you will be for sure paying a premium to them

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol
I'm just wondering if a(not so) small monitor + a sub could compete with a beast like the 801 D4 for about 30% of the cost because I've always dreamed about the 800 series and big Focals when I was younger and I'll never be able to afford them
I would go out on a limb and suggest a pair of JBL 708p + a pair of SVS PB1000 Pro at around $5000 would surpass the 801 D4 in all categories except looks.

I understand the sentiment: Before ASR, I had set my goals on a pair of speaker that would be around $25,000 , speakers not system, I would still need amplifier and in my mind (then) a preamp + DAC + Transport... Was quietly contemplating such a system. Today, thanks to ASR I am enjoying the following:
a Denon AVR X-3400H (no longer manufactured, replaced by the 3700H at $1500)
JBL LSR 308 around $500 the pair
A miniDSP 2x4 HD for subwoofer Integration and EQ at $250
A pair of Dayton Audio SUB 1500 at around $500 for both...

So far the best system I've had. I have had several systems where the cables cost easily three times more than the above total...

As for never been able to afford them .. You never know :) ... , but hanging so much around here, I am certain you would no longer go for the Focal or B&W...

I suggest you seriously think about committing yourself to a similar system, there is much joy in listening to music through mine...

Peace.

3125b

Major Contributor
If you want to compare pro audio vs. hi-fi I would argue you could compare the Genelec 1235AP main monitors to those B&W. The Genelec are a little bit more expensive at MSRP of 20200€ each, but they are actives so the B&W would require buying amps as well making them about equal (in Europe at least). Unfortunately manufacturers are really hesitant to state the prices for these pro monitors online, but an open-box pair of the TOTL 1236A sold for 39000€.

Found a measurement of B&W 800 D3: https://www.fidelity-online.de/bowers-wilkins-800-d3-messungen/
Same setup S&R uses, so these are comparable: https://www.soundandrecording.de/eq...-mit-voll-koaxialer-treiberanordnung-im-test/
Directivity and FR are clear wins for the Genelec, the B&W are capable of somewhat higher SPL though.

Last edited:

oversky

This is so true even for an impossible purchase.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
<snip>
Directivity and FR are clear wins for the Genelec, the B&W are capable of somewhat higher SPL though.
Here is the measured maximum SPL of the B&W 8003..
9-Bowers-Wilkins-BW-800-D3-maximaler-Pegel.jpg

and the 1236A

specs_icon_spl.png

SPL
130 dB
specs_icon_frequency_response.png

Frequency Response
17.5 Hz - 26 kHz (-6dB)

No comparison... Very few Home speakers are capable of such output...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go out on a limb and suggest a pair of JBL 708p + a pair of SVS PB1000 Pro at around $5000 would surpass the 801 D4 in all categories except looks.

JBL 708 aren’t pretty, but they don’t look like expensively finished sewer pipes, either.

IMO the latest gen Nautilus took a huge step back in looks.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL 708 aren’t pretty, but they don’t look like expensively finished sewer pipes, either.

IMO the latest gen Nautilus took a huge step back in looks.
This is so subjective though, as we all know. I think the JBL look fine, but think the Genelec look vastly better. While others think the Genelec is the ugliest thing they’ve ever seen. I also think B&W Nautilus are pretty ugly, while Focal’s high end is really beautiful (though I’d never pay the crazy prices for something that almost certainly does not even outperform my Genelecs).

oversky

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Genelc 8361A studio monitor (powered active speaker). It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $4,995.
Hi, amirm,

The Estimated In-Room Response is not included in the attached file.
Do you still have these data?
Thank you, and Happy New Year.

Descartes

Major Contributor
For B&W I never feel the objective measurement and subjective listening makes me wanted any of them. For floor standers I remember I loved the KEF blade and some i forgot the name focal in a showroom. For focal I feel they likely measured quite well with flattish FR but no proof. Though you will be for sure paying a premium to them
Yep many French brand names are sold at premium prices “Ils ont un air de je ne sais quoi!”

Descartes

Major Contributor
Behind acoustical transparent screen for movies, look is hidden!

oversky

Thank you.
I need the csv file, and load it into REW to compare to other speakers.

YSC

Major Contributor
Yep many French brand names are sold at premium prices “Ils ont un air de je ne sais quoi!”
I would say most brand names, for KEF and Focal etc. if you compare with Neumann and Genelec with their speakers combined with a competent amp you will very likely ended up a lot more expensive, but then beside the similar (not too far behind at some cases) objective performance, you also get some furniture grade design, which is entitled for the premium. You know, when one gets rich, the choice of stuffs starts to deviate from pure performance and price considerations

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

oversky

CMB

I have the impression that Focal s prices are much more « flexible » than typically Neumann or Genelec.

You often can find offers or negociate their price at some time. As an example, I have seen brandnew Sopra 2 as low as 9k Eur last year, while official price now are around 14k.

Some say, french dont buy a product but the buy a reduction.

Top Bottom