• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 31 4.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 655 94.1%

• Total voters
They are large and heavy and the nylon handle doesn't help because you have to insert the other hand into the "front slot" of the reflex to lift them.

DC0C30CF-DE25-4AD7-92E7-899509B1F761.jpeg

I managed just fine unpacking and setting them on stands by myself. Not saying you will manage, but I did. 32kg is not a lot but the shape makes them difficult to handle. Especially if you try to not touch anything but the handle like instructions say. That's just impossible unless you're placing them face down somewhere. Genelec just doesn't want to you poking cones.

I can confirm they are an absolute pain to move single person. Main worry is because of their size, shape, and weight they feel slippery and liable to fall out of the hands. There are no sharp edges on their sides, so nothing to wedge into. I’d ask for help from someone else to avoid having an expensive whoopsie.

I can confirm they are an absolute pain to move single person. Main worry is because of their size, shape, and weight they feel slippery and liable to fall out of the hands. There are no sharp edges on their sides, so nothing to wedge into. I’d ask for help from someone else to avoid having an expensive whoopsie.

This is also why the Atlas stone lift in strongman competitions are mind bogglingly difficult. It is a spherical rock with no place to get a good purchase with your hands. You might want to watch some strongman tutorials. :)

SCM50 ASL are 49kg so 8361 is pretty light weight lol
Screenshot_20240511_002217_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
This is also why the Atlas stone lift in strongman competitions are mind bogglingly difficult. It is a spherical rock with no place to get a good purchase with your hands. You might want to watch some strongman tutorials. :)
Same in rock climbing. Look up slopers.
Also, moving a dead or paralysed human body. Hard to get a grip through the centre of mass without causing injury.
I reckon 8361s are much easier, tbh.

I remember seeing a graph where the preference score for all speakers were plotted against their pricing. Where is this graph? I can’t find it

This post may be quoted one day in a true crime show. That kind of knowledge is very... specific.
Guy get caught with a dead body told police: I wanna put a 8361a on my desk, to avoid damaging the speaker I was told to kill somebody and try lift the dead body while not hurting it

Guy get caught with a dead body told police: I wanna put a 8361a on my desk, to avoid damaging the speaker I was told to kill somebody and try lift the dead body while not hurting it
"For science. Er, actually, Audio Science"

Probably not very relevant but I've had the pleasure of listening to a pair of these at Music Matter, Preston a few years back and they were absolutely amazing...

I'd gone to listen to a few different (much, much cheaper monitors) - 8020s, ADAM A5Xs, Focals, JBLs etc and they were setting up some other Genelecs and they just started to unbox these

I got the pleasure of lifting the bloody things too; think they're around 35kg or something like that; not heavy for someone with my bad habit of lifting very heavy things; but the handle is awkward as the damn thing swings on your :facepalm: haha

But they sounded absolutely amazing; I've never heard speakers like them before... Made it sound like Ian Anderson was in the room singing Heavy Horses ;)

Back
Top Bottom