• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

cEbNVDyfMy

Forum Donor
Hi All,

I need a new hifi setup and would like to go active, ideally with built in DSP. I also ideally like cardioid directionality if possible given the space available in my home, and need to be near walls.

I need a set of speakers for my bedroom, and another for my living room/main listening area.

Sources will be 95% streaming services and rarely vinyl.

The bedroom is:
12’10” x 15’6” with 9’ ceilings
The living room is:
18' x 24’ with 13’6” ceilings

For bedroom, I'd like to stay under $7k USD new or used, considering:
  1. Buchardt Audio Anniversary 10
For living room system, I'd like to stay well under $30k USD new or used if possible, considering:
  1. Dutch & Dutch 8c
  2. Genelec 8351B or 8361A with the Genelec W371 (this would be at the top end of my budget)
    1. Speaking of this setup, is there any advantage of the 8361A over the 8351B when used with the W371?
There are also the GGNTKT, Sigberg Audio, Mesanovic and Kii products to consider, but I have not seen an advantage of any of these over the Dutch & Dutch 8c or Genelec 83XXx + W371 combo above. Feel free to educate me if I am wrong.

Open to all options. I really want to avoid playing the component matching game, I don’t have time for it and don’t enjoy it. I also don’t want to spend a lot of time integrating a subwoofer. However if the subwoofer is part of the OEM system and can integrate seamlessly and with DSP, I’d be open to it. I like the integrated system idea.

Open to all options. I really want to avoid playing the component matching game, I don’t have time for it and don’t enjoy it. I also don’t want to spend a lot of time integrating a subwoofer. However if the subwoofer is part of the OEM system and can integrate seamlessly and with DSP, I’d be open to it. I like the integrated system idea.

Since you’ve shortlisted Genelec, I would recommend you to go for Genelec.

If you like to play super loud then 61 else 51.

The buchardt A700 (and new LE variant) have cardioid dispersion and may meet what you're looking for (though do note that its max SPL is limited in cardioid mode - don't know what kind of volumes you're after).

I'm waiting for a pair of A700 LE's to arrive (will be putting a miniDSP in front of it for Dirac, not using WiSA). For me and my space, aesthetics ruled out anything like Genelecs :-/

I have a small Genelec setup and the Mesanovics. While the Mesanovic speakers sounded just right from the start - at least to my ears - without any eq the Genelecs improved a lot with their GLM. Either way you may want to add a subwoofer. Genelec has the advantage of the GLM software and also the cardiod works down to 60 Hz which is the lowest of the manufacturers you already named. The Dutch & Dutch speakers also have built in room correction capabilities and clever "bass-coupling" to the rear wall so you probably won't need subwoofers if you place the speakers near a wall.
Unfortunately, you'll probably not be able to compare all these speakers in similar rooms. I ordered the Mesanovic speakers simply after reading a review with all the performance graphs. My budget was much lower and I already had the subwoofers so it was an easy choice. However, for 30k I would either choose Sigberg or Genelec ... proably Sigberg, with a custom finish these speakers would look really nice in an home environment.

If you like to play super loud then 61 else 51.
Since the w371a will cover everything from 200 Hz or even higher there is no need for the 8361s bigger woofers. The 8351 and 8361 have the same mid/high driver configuration.

Given your urge for simplicity and fewer components, I'd probably go for the D&D 8C in the living room. Anyone who's posted about them on here seems to have loved them, their measurements are fantastic, and they are reportedly pretty much set-it-and-forget-it. @Purité Audio has done a lot of demos with them.

Your options all sound pretty great, and you are getting solid advice. Have you considered Dynaudio Focus 10 for your bedroom?

Last edited:
Your options all sound pretty great, and you are getting solid advice. Have you considered Dynaudio Focus 10 for your bedroom?
No I have not, but will have a look. Thanks for the idea.

I was going to suggest Dynaudio Focus 10’s for the bedroom too. No component matching required as you literally don’t need anything else.

The big benefit is Dirac Live built in. But they also have an automatic loudness option where the bass is boosted at low volume so you can play them really quiet but still perceive bass.

I had exactly the same "simple" quest except the bedroom was for me the tv corner inside the big open living room. I tried so many, too many, to finally end up with Buchardt A700 and still a passive set up for TV as I didn't find any match...yet. It's actually really really hard to beat a good 2.1 system.

The only option I would consider would be Dutch 8c or beolab 50 (used to stay within your budget) and I'll had KEF LS60W to your shortlist, it's really a great and so versatile all in one system, very difficult to choose between the A700 and those. And of course there is a big factor, how loud to you want them to sing ? I found this point to be a real challenge in a big room, especially with high ceilings like you have.
Depending on your answer you could also wait for futur Dutch floorstanding or go Beolab 50

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom