• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

YSC

Major Contributor
Do you get a pop or thump sound when windows starts or restarts? It always happens, even if the speakers are on and not sleeping. If I decide to restart windows, then when the computer logo appear, it makes a low thump, then another one before entering the screen where you put your password

I'm on windows 10

I think is related to windows rather than the speakers as they're new basically

I read it could be "sound scheme engaging and disengaging" but dont know how to disable that or change the sound

I wonder if is caused by the fact that I have the Genelec sleep mode on. Unlikely cause I never let them go to sleep. I turn off my surge protector before I go to sleep, then turn it on when I'm going to use the computer in the day. When I turn it on, the speaker do make a thump noise as well, probably from the current waking them up?

That doesn't explain why it still happens when they are already on, but only on windows startup or restart.
I used to disable all windows sound effects so it don't do so, a mild thump does occur once it goes out of sleep though

RickNRoll

The thump is when windows turns on/off the USB power or a hard power cycle is done. Better circuits designs will make sure the power surge doesn't affect the output signal.

Pancreas

The thump is when windows turns on/off the USB power or a hard power cycle is done. Better circuits designs will make sure the power surge doesn't affect the output signal.

I returned the focusrite and got Motu ultralite mk5

No pops when turning computer off and on or restarting, the problem all along was focusrite

mrmojo

Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced desk stands? I don't want to pay the prices the genelec stands sell for.

pehu63

YSC

Major Contributor
Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced desk stands? I don't want to pay the prices the genelec stands sell for.
I think the genelec stands are around $150 each? actually you could find anything sturdy enough and just put a box below and call it a day if budget is tight

dingdong3

Does anyone have the best PEQ values for this 8030c product? I will apply it to the minidsp PEQ tab, and I want to apply the EQ with the highest score.

dingdong3

Hi,

For those who are trying to EQ these speakers here are the predicted scores (corrected Spin data):

- No EQ: 6.31
- @amirm EQ score 6.44
PEQ 2500.0Hz, 2.00dB, 3.00:
- @amirm Optimized EQ score 6.50
PEQ 2655.0Hz, 2.00dB, 2.00:
View attachment 74261
- Full EQ Score: 6.83
PEQ 273.7Hz, 1.17dB, 0.94,...
PEQ 1720.0Hz, -2.27dB, 2.52,...
PEQ 2250.0Hz, 2.25dB, 0.88,...
PEQ 4630.0Hz, -0.97dB, 7.30,...
PEQ 6785.0Hz, -0.73dB, 4.44,...
View attachment 74259

Cheers
M

Hi Maiky, Thanks your EQ value.
Is there a new EQ that you made recently?
I've seen you offer two general EQLW and EQLW SCORE in review threads on other speakers after 21.
I really liked your EQ LW SCORE value when using speakers from JBL and other brands, and I would appreciate it if you could share the latest EQ with your know-how on the 8030c.

Pancreas

K&M 26772 almost feel like they were made the 8030c

looks ok but the Genelec stands are nicer tbh also more secure

with this one or any other stand, is just sitting there with the isopods, since these speakers dont have flat surface

KnM is a great brand though. I have their guitar stand, is awesome quality, but for these curvy Genelec speaker is better to go stock

too bad they like $125 each, im still hoping to find used ones, eventually i may just pull the trigger and buy the damn stands lol

bascurtiz

looks ok but the Genelec stands are nicer tbh also more secure

with this one or any other stand, is just sitting there with the isopods, since these speakers dont have flat surface

KnM is a great brand though. I have their guitar stand, is awesome quality, but for these curvy Genelec speaker is better to go stock

too bad they like $125 each, im still hoping to find used ones, eventually i may just pull the trigger and buy the damn stands lol

Just be done with it.
The first thing I noticed on the 8030's is that the sweetspot is really at ear height.
So you are missing alot when they just sit on their isopads/desk.
They look pretty and do their job well (in combo with Chord Mojo 2) :cool:

20230402_041446.jpg

cuby

Just be done with it.
The first thing I noticed on the 8030's is that the sweetspot is really at ear height.
So you are missing alot when they just sit on their isopads/desk.
They look pretty and do their job well (in combo with Chord Mojo 2) :cool:

View attachment 276501
I am interested in your setup, would you mind sharing your connection from Mojo 2 to 8030? 3.5mm to RCA and RCA to XLR or straight 3.5mm to XLR?
thanks

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey guys, I've got an option to buy 8 year old 8030c (G three actually) . But I'm worrying about the lifespan that remains in the amps. What do you guys think?

Optically they look really good still.

3125b

Major Contributor
Plenty of 20+ year old Genelecs for sale second hand that still work just fine, I wouldn't be too worried. Of course you could always be unlucky and have it break right the next day, obviously a used item doesn't come with a warranty.
Whether they are a good buy or not really depends on the price.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys, I've got an option to buy 8 year old 8030c (G three actually) . But I'm worrying about the lifespan that remains in the amps. What do you guys think?

Optically they look really good still.
I wouldn't buy it without at least 50% off of shelf price or if I would know the seller and the conditions the speakers have been kept in. Those Genelecs are almost indestructible and they might have been bounced off the floor numerous times without visible damage.

Yeah, they are probably fine but the upside might not be enough if they aren't cheap enough.

Pancreas

In November, I got the 8030c pair for $900 cash from a local guy.

He bought them from Sweetwater in June, my serial number says manufactured March 2022

I used the screenshots from his purchase to register the speakers with Genelec, so my warranty ends in June 2027

I don't think you can find them cheaper than that anywhere especially without tax and shipping

YSC

Major Contributor
Plenty of 20+ year old Genelecs for sale second hand that still work just fine, I wouldn't be too worried. Of course you could always be unlucky and have it break right the next day, obviously a used item doesn't come with a warranty.
Whether they are a good buy or not really depends on the price.
Heard about this also but tbh as a PC geek for longer than audiophile, electronics do have immature death if luck is bad and mistreated, plus even the best brands have a failure rate, so yea, it likely will live longer than you want to keep it, but it's always a chance of dying early, if it's not a really good deal I would prefer brand new myself

Roolieman

Hi all,
Hope you can help about my dilemma.
I have recently bought pair of Focal alpha 80 evo's, for nearfield music listening on my computer desk at home. Room is pretty small, 10m2, without acoustic treatment. For some type of music, electronic, blues and similar are ok, but for rock for example, highs are just to harsh for longer listening so I'm looking for alternative and heard good things about Genelec monitors.
Choice is between 8030c w. 7050c or 8330a w. 7350a. Second combo is better in terms of adjustability with GLM but I'm not sure can I use calibration mic that I already have from Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 room correction system and connecting laptop with ethernet directly to speakers or I need GLM kit for that?
Are there any sound differences between the two and would it make sense to get 8030c with 7350a sub or vice versa, 8330a with 7050c to cut down some expenses?
Sound wise as I understood reading multiple threads on this forum, without sound correction, they should sound the same, or maybe I'm wrong.

Top Bottom