• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Pancreas

A powered hub has a separate power supply, while USB data goes over your PC. If you turn off or reboot the PC the hub stays on and there will be no pop (hopefully).

What interface are you using?

Scarlet Solo 3rd gen which is USB powered. As some guy said, he doesn't have this problem with his PC. The issue here is both my PC USB ports and the audio interface that needs power from the computer USB port.

The cheapest solution is to either get a powered USB hub as you said or buy an interface with its own power supply, that only data goes over USB.

My computer monitor has USB ports, but when I connected this audio interface to it, the green light did not turn. It doesn't have sufficient power.

Lilith

In my case I also get less noise when using a powered hub, so that can be another advantage. Does the USB power on your PC goes off when rebooting?

Pancreas

In my case I also get less noise when using a powered hub, so that can be another advantage. Does the USB power on your PC goes off when rebooting?

That's what I don't know, but I think it does, because the green light on the interface turns off, when it lights up again every time there is a pop sound as if is in sync.

I'll try a power hub, can always return if it doesn't help. Thanks.

Pancreas

News

I tried the speakers with the audio interface on my brothers laptop. It produces the same pop sounds when windows turns on and off.

This means the issues is not my PC. Its the audio interface. It either needs more power than what my PC or my brother's laptop can give.

So, if I buy a powered USB hub, is possible that the problem may still happen?

The solution is to buy a different interface

Lilith

Get the dlink hub from above if it is available for you.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For example, when I turn on and off the speakers with the button on the back, I get no thump sound.

I was getting this "thump" sound after turning on and off my surge protector. I ordered a newer surge protector to test it. The simple solution for this is to leave the surge protect on all the time which I plan to do but I don't trust these MOV protector thats why I turn them off when I leave home or go to sleep. I'm going to buy a Zero surge protector.

My issue is little pops that happen when the computer gives power to the audio interface, how do I know this?

The pop and green "monitor" light on the interface are in sync, which means is caused by the power from the computer, from the USB.

The solution to this is buy an audio interface with its own power supply, that way, the interface is only connected to PC for data, not power.
Yeah, fine, that's why I was saying you could just turn your speakers on & off manually after you turn on your PC and before you shut it down. If you were to put all your Genelec speakers power source from one power strip that has a manual switch on it, then you just flip that one switch to turn all your speakers on & off. My understanding is that you're only getting the thumps when you turn on your PC and when you turn it off - or have I misread your situation?

Pancreas

I tried that. Turning off the speakers with the back button. Then turning off computer, and turning it on again. Let the interface get powered and enter windows, wait a minute. Then, when I click the button on the back of speakers, I still get the pop on both of them.

If I connect the speakers to a different outlet or surge protector, same thing happens. If I connect speakers to another surge protector and turn them on and off, I get the pop.

If I connect the speakers to an outlet, but not to the audio interface, and turn it on or off. I get no pops.

This is better than the 3 or 4 pops that happen if the speakers are on before the computer is on, but it doesn't solve the problem.

This is because the problem comes from the crappy focusrite interface.

If you google focusrite scarlett pops, youll find tons of complaints of it on reddit, forums, etc. Some have them while playing music or using software, which I don't YET

I read people that have the issue despite having a Focusrite with its own power supply, so I don't know, but clearly is not my computer. I tested on my bro's laptop, produced same pops.

Probably the only solution is to get with a different brand lmao

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Weird, ok.

Liya

I have never heard anyone about power consumption. I measured the power consumption of these genelec 8030s, when playing some background radio. Just 2--3 watt each, and a few watt for my streamer. With a few thousand hours yearly usage, this saves substantial energy costs, compared to a "real hifi" set up.
Good point. Power consumption of the 8030's was quite important for me when chosing monitors as I have them on most of the day and every day.

Pancreas

I believe Focusrite masks their poor products with customer support. I see them everywhere in all forums, but they give you generic bullsh*t responses like Microsoft does when you post in their forums. You've tried everything they say and it still doesnt work because they themselves have no clue how to fix their problem.

They just sell you the illusion that their products are great. When people have a constant reoccurring issue on multiple systems it's not the users fault! Fix your sh*t!

You - have a problem, tell focusrite
Focusrite - what? where? I don't see anything, turn your PC on and off, did you check the power cable, you must be an idiot since you didn't optimize your PC

Just a mask... a facade for quality when the actual problem lies deep down in focusrite's firmware/hardware

It makes sense that they play dumb when you say you've got a problem. They've got products to SELL.

Still it's a decent product if you are on a budget & they could not give a rat's @$$ if you happen to have a problem so I will give them that, but still glitchy as f*. What's worse, a company that ignores their customers problems entirely, selling a product as is, and doing it with open awareness, or a company that pretends to offer solutions solely for PR purposes, but don't actually end up solving anything?

In my mind they are nearly the same. One is actually worse because they mislead the customer into thinking that the problem actually lies with them and not the product.

Or maybe Focusrite is just too blind and naive to admit they've got a freaking problem and they're products don't match up to the quality they promise.

Pancreas

Maybe I should just leave my computer on all the time lol

another option is a power sequencer

apparently this pop is normal and the only way to avoid this is following the proper sequence

turning on speaker last and turning them off first

so the only way to simplify this is putting them in a surge protector

Last edited:

Pancreas

found the solution

a power sequencer, set it to turn off speaker before audio interface and turn on interface before speakers

but for this to work, I would need an audio interface with its own power supply, so is independent from the computer

Pancreas

I still get the "thump" noise even if the Genelec are NOT connected to the audio interface.

I put them on a surge protector, nothing else, when I turn on the surge protector, makes a pop, turn off, makes a thump. So if I get this power sequencer, I'll probably still experience the same thump as it acts as power strip basically.

This seems to be "normal" for these speakers and some rep said it here. Its caused by the amplifiers. There is no way to avoid, it can only be reduced if you power on and off from the button on the back. This is because there is no sudden surge of electricity if the surge protector is always on, whereas when you turn it on and off, there is, so create a louder thump.

This is different from the sounds I get when turning my computer on and off though.

Whether I leave my speaker on and connected to a different surge protector. I get the pops whenever my PC powers on and off. That issue seems to be more related to the interface getting power from the PC.

So I don't know whats the solution now.

Literally the only solution to avoid any thumps and to avoid having to do the "sequence" is to just leave your whole studio on 24/7 but that would reduce lifespan of the speaker and all the components

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
I still get the "thump" noise even if the Genelec are NOT connected to the audio interface.

I put them on a surge protector, nothing else, when I turn on the surge protector, makes a pop, turn off, makes a thump. So if I get this power sequencer, I'll probably still experience the same thump as it acts as power strip basically.

This seems to be "normal" for these speakers and some rep said it here. Its caused by the amplifiers. There is no way to avoid, it can only be reduced if you power on and off from the button on the back. This is because there is no sudden surge of electricity if the surge protector is always on, whereas when you turn it on and off, there is, so create a louder thump.

This is different from the sounds I get when turning my computer on and off though.

Whether I leave my speaker on and connected to a different surge protector. I get the pops whenever my PC powers on and off. That issue seems to be more related to the interface getting power from the PC.

So I don't know whats the solution now.

Literally the only solution to avoid any thumps and to avoid having to do the "sequence" is to just leave your whole studio on 24/7 but that would reduce lifespan of the speaker and all the components
I don't think so, mine have only a mild thump of the amp powering on when it goes from standby (lights off) to on (lights on) mode. and in between rebooting PC or so never have any kind of sound coming on (I am a PC builder for long so quite often update/test parts in my PC which the speaker will power on in first time and left on before auto standby kick in). it's pretty sure now that it's the surge protector and/or the interface issue. I am using a surge protection power strip from belkin, maybe you should stop using the surge protector and change to the power strip with surge protection instead.

Pancreas

I don't think so, mine have only a mild thump of the amp powering on when it goes from standby (lights off) to on (lights on) mode. and in between rebooting PC or so never have any kind of sound coming on (I am a PC builder for long so quite often update/test parts in my PC which the speaker will power on in first time and left on before auto standby kick in). it's pretty sure now that it's the surge protector and/or the interface issue. I am using a surge protection power strip from belkin, maybe you should stop using the surge protector and change to the power strip with surge protection instead.

thats the mild thump im talking about is not super loud is just annoying, I don't use the stand by feature, but when i had it on, the same thing happened regardless. So this thump when powering on or off the speakers is normal.

My main issue is the pops that happen when turning on and off the pc.

So yeah it seems to be the audio interface. What audio interface do you use?

YSC

Major Contributor
thats the mild thump im talking about is not super loud is just annoying, I don't use the stand by feature, but when i had it on, the same thing happened regardless. So this thump when powering on or off the speakers is normal.

My main issue is the pops that happen when turning on and off the pc.

I use a holoaudio spring2 dac, not too expensive well measuring R2R dac in itself but not budget friendly either, if you are ok with a higher budget and need the functionality, a RME-ADI should be great, and if prefer a small box with limited budget, I think the various topping dacs are fine for the use as I didn't recall seeing any pop complains thus far.

Pancreas

My solution will probably be a interface with its own power supply. Even then, you have to follow the sequence of power on speakers last and power off first.

When I do it like this, I only hear one mild pop

If I don’t follow the sequence, I hear like 3 or 4

If you power on and off the speakers independently from the interface or not, you’ll always get some thump noise.

Its the nature of powered speakers, some just are better disguising this. I play guitar and the same pops and thumps happen when you turn on and off most combo guitar amplifiers

Apparently Genelec didn’t bother to put a relay on their speakers to mitigate this pop/thump

Lots of complaints about it on genelec forums and the genelec reps say is normal which it is just annoying

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
My solution will probably be a interface with its own power supply. Even then, you have to follow the sequence of power on speakers last and power off first.

When I do it like this, I only hear one mild pop

If I don’t follow the sequence, I hear like 3 or 4

If you power on and off the speakers independently from the interface or not, you’ll always get some thump noise.

Its the nature of powered speakers, some just are better disguising this. I play guitar and the same pops and thumps happen when you turn on and off most combo guitar amplifiers

Apparently Genelec didn’t bother to put a relay on their speakers to mitigate this pop/thump

Lots of complaints about it on genelec forums and the genelec reps say is normal which it is just annoying

I don’t think so, I literally never touch the power button since I got them 1.5 years ago, and only ever have the mild pop when it goes out of standby when I play music the first time, and then no matter what I do, it didn’t pop during restarting

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

If you find that annoying how about selling the speakers?

This is not an audio interface thread, please move somewhere else for this.

Top Bottom