• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A VU Meter Amp/Speaker Selector Released by Fosi Audio

solderdude

Grand Contributor
As I posted on the other thread :
Bought one from Audiophonics. Seems to work fine but there are some reasons you probably won't want it.
When turned off, it automatically goes to input amp B and output speakers 2. You can keep using it when turned off that way but only in this configuration.
It does however remember the last inputs/outputs when turning it on. (you don't need power to use input B output 2, for all other configurations you need to power it on)
The VU meters are not buffered! Even turned off, VU meters keep on moving. One would think this is fine, but this means it does interfere in the signal path. It probably does not have a big impact but it might induce some distortion.
On the positive side, the remote did not interfere with my Topping D70s DAC.
The sensitivity of the meters actually is 250-300 watt-ish. That means you won't see much movement in normal use, unless you play loud or need a lot of power.
The sensitivigy-knob should be at max to give a more or less correct reading. Any lower setting and you won't see any reading at all. So the sensitivity knob is rather pointless.
Binding posts are ok but the holes are vertically. Diagonal would have been more easy.
So if you need a speaker/amp switch that can handle high power, it seems usable, but I would not use it in a critical listening environment.
If you want dancing VU-meters without using more than 25 watts, forget it.

Suggestions for improving would include a buffered stage that powers the meters, so any possible distortion (if any) caused by the components would be limited to a minimum and give the possibility for a better match with lower power setups by adding a "sensitivity switch" that eg can swap between the 250 Watt and eg a 25 Watt-scale. The extra cost would certainly be acceptable for such an improvement.

Your comments, most likely, are not about the meter discussed in this thread (LC30) ?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The meter should deflect to half the scale even with 0.2W so wonder why you say you can't use it with a 25W amp.
0.2W on normal speakers is just above average listening levels. 25W peaks should send the meter to half the scale.

When one wants dancing needles they should buy a meter that is connected with RCA and use that before any amp (and no volume control on the DAC)
This device is to show power levels.
The 'sensitivity' adjustment makes no sense unless you can have a calibrated setting for say... 2ohm to 8ohm speakers or so.
As it is now it is just dancing needles with some relation to the speaker amp output level.

The default connection of amp and speakers is weird indeed (with power off).

It's bling with an added speaker/amp selection possibility from the lazy chair.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I posted on the other thread :
Bought one Fosi LC30 switch with VU-meters from Audiophonics. Seems to work fine but there are some reasons you might not want it.
When turned off, it automatically goes to input amp B and output speakers 2. You can keep using it when turned off that way but only in this configuration.
It does however remember the last inputs/outputs when turning it on. (you don't need power to use input B output 2, for all other configurations you need to power it on)
The VU meters are not buffered! Even turned off, VU meters keep on moving. One would think this is fine, but this means it does interfere in the signal path. It probably does not have a big impact but it might induce some distortion.
On the positive side, the remote did not interfere with my Topping D70s DAC.
The sensitivity of the meters actually is 250-300 watt-ish. That means you won't see much movement in normal use, unless you play loud or need a lot of power.
The sensitivigy-knob should be at max to give a more or less correct reading. Any lower setting and you won't see any reading at all. So the sensitivity knob is rather pointless.
Binding posts are ok but the holes are vertically. Diagonal would have been more easy.
So if you need a speaker/amp switch that can handle high power, it seems usable, but I would not use it in a critical listening environment.

Suggestions for improving would include a buffered stage that powers the meters, so any possible distortion (if any) caused by the components would be limited to a minimum and give the possibility for a better match with lower power setups by adding a "sensitivity switch" that eg can swap between the 250 Watt and eg a 25 Watt-scale. The extra cost would certainly be acceptable for such an improvement.
Looks like the only use for me (where I plan to put it anyway) is at the BASS amp of my Tri-Amped system (unconventional: 1 NAD 2200 running at 4 OHMs for the pair of custom subs, [crossed over at 80 Hz] & one NAD 2200 amp for each Dahlquist M-905's carrying the duties from 80 Hz up).
It's true purpose for me is: BLING! Which bears some unknown resemblance to reality.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I’d love to see this measured and reviewed.

We’ve had so many threads recently and discussion of (for example) whether certain measures of some Fosi Audio amps, Topping amps, and the WiiM Amp show issues which would be audible in real-world use.

I think with DACs we’re pretty much all agreed that they’re a solved problem. With amps we’ve maybe just a little tension. I think (and I may be wrong) that most of us think that any amp that’s not badly broken will sound much like any other, and there’s no need to spend a fortune. Others are maybe less convinced. This product, unless it significantly degrades the signal, gives us a chance to answer the question.

Top Bottom