• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 215 49.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 175 40.0%

• Total voters

Bobemeg

Looks like there is a new V3 (Mono) coming soon with PFFB support !!

And a SINAD score > 100

Mono block support first - then a new V3 stereo model
Too many releases I just sold two v3s I'm waiting for my 2 za3s to come and now they're working on another model

nathan

I welcome the innovation. These folks are really pushing the whole marketplace to better performance at better prices.

And I say this as someone whose V3 literally shipped in the past week from overseas and hasn't even received it yet (and would have ordered this upgraded version had it been available).

Last edited:

grogi.giant

Yes yes YES!

With cooling of original V3, upgraded subwoofer output of the v3 2024 and PFFB, this might be the I really don't want more solution. ;)

Yeah, right... How many time did I said it? This week?

PlasticDoc

Looks like there is a new V3 (Mono) coming soon with PFFB support !!
And a SINAD score > 100
Mono block support first - then a new V3 stereo model

"Efficiency is doing the thing right. Effectiveness is doing the right thing." - Peter Drucker

It looks like Fosi Audio is finally entering the "Effectiveness Phase". Hats off to Fosi.

But, and this is a big but, the model to look for will be the Fosi V3 PFFB STEREO.

Two notes:
a) SINAD: a SINAD of 100dB, even with XLR inputs only, will be very difficult to achieve; with RCA inputs it would already be very good to have values higher than 94dB.
b) Total power (watts RMS): it's to be expected that the V3 PFFB STEREO will be slightly less powerful than the normal V3, but this is perfectly acceptable given the price/performance ratio.

Last edited:

PlasticDoc

I can already imagine this V3 PFFB matchbox shaking the Larsen 4.3 speakers down to its almost 20Hz bass.

Last edited:

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I like the monoblock for a very simple and (I think) very important reason: no volume potentiometer. Why?

Because really good analog volume potentiometers are very expensive and when you look at the price tag and read some opinions: "i hear imbalance in channels", "some noise moving the volume", etc etc. Cheap potentiometers lowering SQ.

So, we remove the analog potentiometer and we can have a hell of amplifier at that price.

My opinion.

guy48065

I'm content just keeping the V3 volume knob at 100% so the signal doesn't go thru that low-spec resistive element.

mike70

I'm content just keeping the V3 volume knob at 100% so the signal doesn't go thru that low-spec resistive element.

It doesn't go? ... I understand 100% volume is better than at the 20% ... but, the best is no potentiometer at all, in other way the signal isn't bypassed internally.

The mono doesn't have that problem and stereo needs the volume bypass (as Aiyima implementation).

Last edited:

guy48065

It doesn't go? ... I understand 100% volume is better than at the 20% ... but, the best is no potentiometer at all, in other way the signal isn't bypassed internally.

The mono doesn't have that problem and stereo needs the volume bypass (as Aiyima implementation).
Correct--doesn't go. At 0 & 100% the pot wiper rests on the solid pads at the end of the resistive arc.
True--it IS another connection that will eventually get dirty and start to sound scratchy. 10 years or more. At that point if I'm still using it (not likely) I'll solder a jumper across the pot.
Then it'll be just a power switch.

grogi.giant

The audio signal does not go through a potentiometer. Potentiometer is used to control analogue (op-amps or transistors) or digital (exp. NJW1194) volume control circuitry.

guy48065

The audio signal does not go through a potentiometer. Potentiometer is used to control analogue (op-amps or transistors) or digital (exp. NJW1194) volume control circuitry.

Everything is behind the volume pot. There are no buffers on the inputs. It is impossible to overdrive the input.
I took this to mean the analog signal goes from the RCA inputs straight to the volume pot, then to the op-amps.

mike70

sometimes we're too much technical ... change what i said for "volume control device", i'm not an electronic engineer, but i know that analog volume control is costly to do it right ... and if you have an entire amplifier at 100 usd, maybe your volume control isn't one of the very good ones.

Maybe is more clear in that way, if not, it's ok, we can go ahead with the thread.

TurtlePaul

There is a teardown of the V3 on the front page. The signal very much goes through a 2-gang pot. Where is there a digital volume control IC? I don’t see it.

colombiamgold

Hi forum

I just want to know...if the pre/sub out its been used to connect to a sub....the mains out of the amplifier continue to provide a full range signal to the speakers?

if the sub have a variable loss pass filter that can be adjust from lets said 40hz to 300hz..the other 2 channels continues to receive the full 20-20.000 signal? or its just adjust to the frequency that the pre/sub outputs setups and get its from 300hz up??

thanks

grogi.giant

I just want to know...if the pre/sub out its been used to connect to a sub....the mains out of the amplifier continue to provide a full range signal to the speakers?
Yes

if the sub have a variable loss pass filter that can be adjust from lets said 40hz to 300hz..the other 2 channels continues to receive the full 20-20.000 signal?

You will need to set the crossover frequency on the sub in a way that it kicks in when the speakers stop playing. Let's say your mains have -3dB at 42Hz - you set the sub crossover to 42Hz...

carlo

Interested to this V3 for an old pair of Mission 760 still working fine but needing an amp. As I would like to have bluetooth functionality which V3 doesn't have, I've seen that the model BT20A pro is based on the same chip. Are they comparable sound wise or - should the V3 be considered definitely better - is it possible to add an external bluetooth module to it?

Zek

Major Contributor
Look reviews, and compare
index.php

index.php

Talisman

Forum Donor
Interested to this V3 for an old pair of Mission 760 still working fine but needing an amp. As I would like to have bluetooth functionality which V3 doesn't have, I've seen that the model BT20A pro is based on the same chip. Are they comparable sound wise or - should the V3 be considered definitely better - is it possible to add an external bluetooth module to it?
From the amplifier's point of view it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to hear any kind of difference.
It should be noted, however, that the Bluetooth of the bta20pro does not have LDAC, so you could also think of a V3 combo with LDAC receiver (for now LDAC receivers are around 40/50 euros)
Make your own assessments. But whichever of these solutions you choose there will be no day/night difference

Top Bottom