• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 40 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 222 48.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 189 40.9%

• Total voters
it’s not just the class d amp but tpa3255 chip amp.
I think i did not express my self good enough.

I meant i miss „Categories“ like being able to choose parameters of Searching.
Terms like „Compact“ , „Stereo“ or „Multichannel“ or Class D or Transistor , or „Price
range“ etc etc . I personally simply cant know and also remember what each amp is. There are simply too many

Like when looking for a car you can insert „ engine size 1200-2000cc + 4wd+ suv“ hope that makes sense . Dont own a car but watched a friend search and thought
„why is it not like this easy toe search in audio?“ :)

Interested to this V3 for an old pair of Mission 760 still working fine but needing an amp. As I would like to have bluetooth functionality which V3 doesn't have, I've seen that the model BT20A pro is based on the same chip. Are they comparable sound wise or - should the V3 be considered definitely better - is it possible to add an external bluetooth module to it?
I would keep the V3 and get a Wiim to go with it, which will do Bluetooth and the rest.

I have both the v3 and the bt20a pro and I think they are identical, except the bt20a pro has bass/treble tone controls and Bluetooth. I don't know if measurement would show a difference, but my ears can't hear any difference. I also can't think of any technical reason why there should be any difference but someone may correct me.

The only difference might be that you can do very limited room/speaker correction with the tone controls, but there are better ways to do that if it's important.

I have both the v3 and the bt20a pro and I think they are identical, except the bt20a pro has bass/treble tone controls and Bluetooth. I don't know if measurement would show a difference, but my ears can't hear any difference. I also can't think of any technical reason why there should be any difference but someone may correct me.

The only difference might be that you can do very limited room/speaker correction with the tone controls, but there are better ways to do that if it's important.
Ears though being a good measuring instruments are also prone to bias and other errors. I think a technical measurement would be very interesting.

that said, if i may ask , why do you think they are the same? Did you open them up and compared ?

Cheers

Hi All bought three of these to run the 6 surround channels on my anthem mrx 1120. From what I understand those 6 channels on the anthem are class D at 60 wpc where the 1st 5 are 150 wpc class ab I think. Was thinking perhaps offloading those surround channels might help out the lcr and two main surrounds on the main anthem amplifier that tested ok here, but I didn't see measurements with all 11 channels driven.

Anyways when calibrating I have to run each of the V3s at greater than 75% volume to hit the target spl level to match the other speakers on calibration. I do have room to go up on the output gain (I'm at 5 now it goes to 12). I was surprised by this as the anthem class d amps at 60 watts only needed a gain of plus one to get to the 70 the others are calibrated at. I thought the v3 with the 48 volt power supply would be better than the anthem.

BTW I think it sounds great, ran a quick test of some scenes from mad max and bladerunner and I thought it sounded better. However I thought it sounded pretty great to start with so who knows.

Anyways Long question short is there an optimal spot for the volume knob on the V3. Pic of the speaker specs in the next post.

The 4 atmos speakers are the paradigm e80-a and two surround back are e80-iw if that helps.

Last edited:
1000017055.jpg

Yes the optimal spot is the lesser of max, and the point where it would damage your speakers. If you're controlling from an AVR with its own level balancing / room correction then you should definitely max it and calibrate it via the AVR.

I was surprised by this as the anthem class d amps at 60 watts only needed a gain of plus one to get to the 70 the others are calibrated at. I thought the v3 with the 48 volt power supply would be better than the anthem.
It's not about power, it's about gain.

Plus - in any case - your speakers are 8ohm, so even at full power the Fosi is only able to drive them to 90W - which is only +1.75dB compared with the AVR 60W

Hi All bought three of these to run the 6 surround channels on my anthem mrx 1120. From what I understand those 6 channels on the anthem are class D at 60 wpc where the 1st 5 are 150 wpc class ab I think. Was thinking perhaps offloading those surround channels might help out the lcr and two main surrounds on the main anthem amplifier that tested ok here, but I didn't see measurements with all 11 channels driven.

Anyways when calibrating I have to run each of the V3s at greater than 75% volume to hit the target spl level to match the other speakers on calibration. I do have room to go up on the output gain (I'm at 5 now it goes to 12). I was surprised by this as the anthem class d amps at 60 watts only needed a gain of plus one to get to the 70 the others are calibrated at. I thought the v3 with the 48 volt power supply would be better than the anthem.

BTW I think it sounds great, ran a quick test of some scenes from mad max and bladerunner and I thought it sounded better. However I thought it sounded pretty great to start with so who knows.

Anyways Long question short is there an optimal spot for the volume knob on the V3. Pic of the speaker specs in the next post.

The 4 atmos speakers are the paradigm e80-a and two surround back are e80-iw if that helps.
"Anyways when calibrating I have to run each of the V3s at greater than 75% volume to hit the target spl level „
75% does not necessarily mean something. You can`t "directly compare Device A is louder than Device B when the Knob is at 12 o clock“ in a way.

they would have to have the same Input sensitivity and you would have to feed them the same Signal Volume.
Maybe the V3 Input is less sensitive ?

What do you think about the Edifier p17 and p12 speakers.

both have almost the same specifications

nominal input 5/20 watt
impedance 6 ohms
frequency response 55hz-200khz
4 inch

It's not about power, it's about gain.

Plus - in any case - your speakers are 8ohm, so even at full power the Fosi is only able to drive them to 90W - which is only +1.75dB compared with the AVR 60W
Thought maybee offloading the power supply of the main amps might help it. Haven't really bought into the whole separates thing in home theater yet. I wanted to give it a try without having to spend a ton on the amps. Probably would notice more of an impact with seperates for the LCR channels, maybee monoblocks. But Can't find something that would best the 1120 main amplifier section in this price range. Been kicking around getting the 3 channel buckeye purifi or hypex but that bumps it up to like 1500. Not sure I'm willing to shell out that kind of cash to run the experiment. Any recs for the mains?

Thought maybee offloading the power supply of the main amps might help it.
Yes, it will - more power will be available for LCR when driving all channels.

My point was to answer your surprise that the external amps needed to be turned up to full - this is to be expected.

Your external amps are connected after the preamp. The internal amps - after the preamp - are also turned up to full. And depending on the gain - might even then still have a higher gain than your external amps - even though they can deliver lower max power.

Looks like there is a new V3 (Mono) coming soon with PFFB support !!

And a SINAD score > 100

Mono block support first - then a new V3 stereo model
Ooooo..this is cool! Nice..nice..!!

Cool ? Most of the users need a Stereo module... That s not cool at all to pay for 2 mono amps and therefore double the price...

Like you I'll wait for the stereo version and maybe wait longer until it also has a usable high pass filter but mono is useful for people who want to use a separate amp for L and R, doubling the power as well as the price

Like you I'll wait for the stereo version and maybe wait longer until it also has a usable high pass filter but mono is useful for people who want to use a separate amp for L and R, doubling the power as well as the price

With

This a PBTL amp you wont double at all the power but only get about 15 % more power... Check 3E Audio mono vs stereo measurements ))))

Back
Top Bottom