• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 215 49.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 175 40.0%

• Total voters

Mordor

Crap cables (no ofense).

Mordor

This weekend i have chance to test V3 Vs PrimatLuna Prologue One full tube and some expensive B&W speakers.

There isnt comparation between the two, but despite everything, taking in consideration the prices, the V3 did show good bass and sound overall.
Some details were lost, difficulty to keep more complex music in order and stage....but for the price, was very ok.

Just for curiosity, we had to put volume near 95% on Fosi, just to ear high enough the sound from these speakers, as much as 45% volume on the Luna....

Nice time spend, good musice and lot of share of experiences......thats the most important!

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This weekend i have chance to test V3 Vs PrimatLuna Prologue One full tube and some expensive B&W speakers.

There isnt comparation between the two, but despite everything, taking in consideration the prices, the V3 did show good bass and sound overall.
Some details were lost, difficulty to keep more complex music in order and stage....but for the price, was very ok.

Just for curiosity, we had to put volume near 95% on Fosi, just to ear high enough the sound from these speakers, as much as 45% volume on the Luna....

Nice time spend, good musice and lot of share of experiences......thats the most important!

the best way to compare is with levelled gain / blinded tests ... then you'll know the truth (the awful truth in some blinded test i done :) )
without that, surely we pay much more than is needed for a decent sound (nordost cables? :cool:).

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor

I don't know if this is causing any problem(s), but it doesn't look like the + (red) speaker cable termination for the right channel is making good (any?) electrical contact with its binding post. Overall, those terminations are too large -- their "tines" are too far apart -- for the typically undersized binding posts found on most "chip amps."

MCH

Major Contributor
Aren't you concerned about those spades shorting? I recently got some about the size of yours and decided keep the bananas. The posts were a bit farther apart but still, scared me.

Mordor

It was just a small test. The cables were well connected and yes, we were afraid they could short. We were extra carefully, but everything went well, the 2 speakers made sound!

Just hear 2 or 3 songs, previously weird on the PrimaLuna. Wasn`t a serious test, just take the chance to compare with a serious system.

The best part, was the fun, and see a old friend from 30 years ago!

Reactions: MCH

guy48065

I wanted the output binding posts to be wired over/under rather than side/side in order to get standard 3/4" spacing, for dual banana plugs. Fortunately Fosi hard-wires the jacks rather than use PCB-mount posts, so moving them is an easy task.

IMG_20240117_070559.jpg

IMG_20240117_072640.jpg

IMG_20240117_073608.jpg

KintsugiUwU

Hi, wanted to ask if the load dependency issue with a pair of KEF Q150 will result in a not so great listening experience

Attachments

• hardisj_q150_impedance.png
    hardisj_q150_impedance.png
    111 KB · Views: 36

nathan

Would love to learn how read this graph is the context of this amp.

index.php

Does spending the extra $45 for the 48v power supply become a necessity for these speakers being driven by this amp, or am I reading the impedance graph wrong?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would love to learn how read this graph is the context of this amp.

index.php

Does spending the extra $45 for the 48v power supply become a necessity for these speakers being driven by this amp, or am I reading the impedance graph wrong?
You're reading it wrong.

Minimum impedance is around 5ohm - certainly above 4 ohm. In any case the extra volts of the 48V doesn't really improve the ability to drive difficult speakers. You need current for that, And even then it only really applies at high output.

nathan

You're reading it wrong.

Minimum impedance is around 5ohm - certainly above 4 ohm. In any case the extra volts of the 48V doesn't really improve the ability to drive difficult speakers. You need current for that, And even then it only really applies at high output.
Thanks. So the 48v power supply would just get me more watts for driving my selected speakers to a higher output level, but not be necessary based on the impedance presented by the speaker (which falls well within the range of what the Fossi V3 can readily take care of)?

Conversely, any downside to the higher voltage power supply (other than increasing the cost by 50%)? Since it is a switching power supply, it doesn't tend to draw lots more power from the wall unless it actually needs it, IIRC.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. So the 48v power supply would just get me more watts for driving my selected speakers to a higher output level, but not be necessary based on the impedance presented by the speaker (which falls well within the range of what the Fossi V3 can readily take care of)?

Conversely, any downside to the higher voltage power supply (other than increasing the cost by 50%)? Since it is a switching power supply, it doesn't tend to draw lots more power from the wall unless it actually needs it, IIRC.
Right on both counts. More power (a bit) and no downside.

Ungeduld

I didn't like the sound of the Fosi V3, so much so that I returned it to Amazon. Compared to the Aiyima A07, the sound seems duller. It's all there, but it lacks the clarity, flesh and presence that are so impressive from such an inexpensive amp as the Aiyima. Even the Aiyima Max isn't as good.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
I didn't like the sound of the Fosi V3, so much so that I returned it to Amazon. Compared to the Aiyima A07, the sound seems duller. It's all there, but it lacks the clarity, flesh and presence that are so impressive from such an inexpensive amp as the Aiyima. Even the Aiyima Max isn't as good.

Interesting. I resisted the urge to buy a couple of the newer/better-measuring TPA3255 amps to replace the A07s in my 7.1 system, and I must confess that I now feel quite thoroughly vindicated in that decision. :cool:

Talisman

Forum Donor
But sure but sure

Lux_ury

Its true I found some speakers with low ohms prefered the A07, mids and highs had more clarity! All tests were blind. On some speakers the V3 created a veiled wall or flatness untill you cranked the volume very high. But some 8ohm speakers love the the power and sounded better on the V3. Synergies is very dependent upon speakers imo.
Also depending on genre of music makes recordings sound different on each Amp.
You should try A07 with active sub it's the best of both worlds clarity with meaty bass to balance overtly bright highs.
Still my V3 (48v)sounds sweet on my 3 way Infinity's which falls flat on the A07.
vice versa on my 2 way B&Ws.(32v)

Last edited:

Lux_ury

Were they also accurately level matched? WIth a DVM?
Nope I send people who can hear better than me run a few tests at the same levels ask which they liked run the same tests without changes to check if they think I've changed something then use that to determine which they preferred.
one friend is literally blind I trust her ears more than mine.
I have fun testing peoples perception of bias, but some tests are night and day no matter what volume is set. Don't get me wrong I love science methodology, but you know what....... you like what you like

Top Bottom