• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 216 49.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 175 39.9%

• Total voters

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you know how this fosi would compare against the aiyima A07

Overall, the V3 measures better -- which isn't surprising considering that the A07 is a 4+-year-old design. Whether the improved performance of the V3 results in improved SQ in any particular system depends on the other specifics of that system. In my case, I surmised that swapping my A07s -- which post-DSP drive the four ambience/surround speakers in a 7.1 configuration -- for newer/better TPA-3255 chip amps like a pair of V3s wouldn't make any audible difference, so I passed on Fosi's excellent recent sale on AliExpress.

I received my V3 yesterday. I had been concerned with its ability to handle my 4 ohm, 88dB sensitivity Polk LsI9 “book shelf” speakers which I have resurrected to serve in a “near field” setup and so I ordered it with both the 32 volt and 48 volt power supply based on what I had been reading here. My idea is to have the Polks serve both as computer monitors and as speakers for another “listening position” centered approximately 8 feet away.

The source is a Cambridge Dacmagic 200m which has a 2.1 mv output. I listen to Internet radio (WQXR in NYC) and Qobuz exclusively (and, I believe, faultlessly) streamed through a USB-connected 2015 vintage 27” iMac which sits on the same desk along with speakers and other components.

Starting with the 32 v power supply I selected Lana Del Ray’s “Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd” track. I was disappointed to hear moderate static in the vocals at even the low volume I had started with so I switched to the 48v which had little effect—but I soon realized that the audible distortion was due to the “SoundSource” eq “pop” setting. Once I removed that, it disappeared. (I subsequently confirmed that SoundSource was the problem by duplicating the issue with my other amp/speaker combination and headphones plugged into the Dacmagic which is also a headphone amp).

The V3 is silent, has audibly perfect separation and a good “center image”, made evident by the vocals seeming to come from the centered computer.

Now I’m happily running the V3 on the 48V power supply. I barely have the extremely sensitive (perhaps to a fault) Volume knob past 9 0’clock before it starts getting too loud for my neighbors—(i live in a small apartment in Brooklyn.) So far, so good. Here is a picture of the unit with the James Industries form-fitting heatsink which I have installed even though the unit gets just a bit warm.

I selected the V3 due to its small size, it’s power, its austere feature set and its good reviews on this forum—aside from its price, of course. The alternative for me would be to run the speakers with my Rotel RB-1582 but it’s already driving a pair of 4ohm Martin Logan floor standers. I could theoretically use one of those Neohipo switchers with the VU meters, but Amir’s ominous warning about amp/speaker switchers in general dissuaded me of that notion.

View attachment 336808
What role does the slinky play ?

Guilherme Matos

Why hello everyone! I just got a V3 32v for Christmas, and as I'm setting it up with my Kef "Egg" 6ohm speakers, playing at moderate volume (10-11 o'clock, barely pushing it, I think) I find that my left channel, and *only* the left channel, drops randomly (well, when there's a rapid change in volume on the track).
Have I gotten a defective unit? Am I playing too loud for the 32v? Any input is appreciated!

Update: Found myself the problem, and it was of course user error ;-;. Seems that some other equipment I have that takes a high-level input ties the negative together, which meant trouble for the amp and it entered safe mode. By "other equipment" I meant my subwoofer, and surprisingly the V3 makes the subwoofer pretty unneeded in most tracks I usually listen to. Very satisfied :)

Last edited:

wirn

Thanks for the excellent review.
Do you think this amp will pair up nicely with Dali zensor 5?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the excellent review.
Do you think this amp will pair up nicely with Dali zensor 5?
Welcome to ASR!

The Dali Zensor 5 should not be a difficult load for the V3. The V3 should work fine.
(Source: https://www.dali-speakers.com/media/3222/dali-zensor-whitepaper.pdf)
Dali-Zensor-5.png

KintsugiUwU

Hi, just bought this Amp. I will use it to power a pair of Kef Q150 for desktop setup. Do I need a preamp like the Fosi P3 or a DAC? The amp will be connected to the 3.5mm jack of my 2020 M1 MacBook Pro.

I'm asking this question because I saw lots of people here saying the with a preamp this V3 sounds a lot better

Last edited:

mike70

If we go to the roots ... an amplifier can sound different with the same signal if the source adds distortion / noise or doesn't have the right output voltage / impedance to match the amp.

If you use a decent DAC (noise / distortion is the same or better than a preamp) and it have low impedance / 2 volts output (aprox) ... why the preamp will sound better?

Maybe if that "lot of people" have their opinion based on a gain levelled blinded test ... I'll take it as an option.

KintsugiUwU

If you use a decent DAC (noise / distortion is the same or better than a preamp) and it have low impedance / 2 volts output (aprox) ... why the preamp will sound better?
I will use the built in dac of the MacBook so I assume it's better than the well regarded apple dongle. I was using the same setup with my NAD 3240PE and it sounded really good (I'm no audiophile but I can at least distinguish good sound from bad). I just can't get when people mention "it sound better", like 0.1% better, 50% better, 90%??? I'm sure doing a preamp would help this amp achieve higher volumes but is it worth it to spend more money?

OldTimer

I will use the built in dac of the MacBook so I assume it's better than the well regarded apple dongle. I was using the same setup with my NAD 3240PE and it sounded really good (I'm no audiophile but I can at least distinguish good sound from bad). I just can't get when people mention "it sound better", like 0.1% better, 50% better, 90%??? I'm sure doing a preamp would help this amp achieve higher volumes but is it worth it to spend more money?
Much much better, probably 1000%.

OldTimer

Bruh

For real, I'll try to get the Fosi Audio P3 to match with this V3, it's only 75€ with shipping and taxes included.
The cheapaudioman yt also said punchier bass with P3 but I use my old integrated amplifier as pre-amp.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, just bought this Amp. I will use it to power a pair of Kef Q150 for desktop setup. Do I need a preamp like the Fosi P3 or a DAC? The amp will be connected to the 3.5mm jack of my 2020 M1 MacBook Pro.

I'm asking this question because I saw lots of people here saying the with a preamp this V3 sounds a lot better
No, you don't need a preamp. The 3.5mm jack will be fine.

lucabrasidu13

Good morning,

Having recently acquired a Fosi V3 in 48v, a WiiM Pro Plus and a pair of Davis Acoustics Ariane 5, for 816 euros all, new.

Very satisfied with the result, a treat.

One question please...

I configured the WiiM volume control with 2Vrms, I seem to hear a better sound when I put the volume of the amp up and that of the WiiM lower, in comparison with the volume of the amp at half and that of the Wiim higher.

I have the impression that the sound is more nervous, more controlled, less messy...

Have you noticed anything similar?

Is it normal?

Is there any risk in using the amp like this?

I thank you in advance.

Dreyfus

Given a set of Mission QX-2 MKII with roughly 88 dB sensitivity in a rather small room, would you prefer the 32V psu over the 48V PSU for better volume control range on the pot?

The DAC will be a Topping EX5 by the way. SNR will probably be best when cranking the amp up and controlling the volume via the EX5.
48V could be a little over the top, I guess.

Regards,
Dreyfus

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you noticed anything similar?

Is it normal?
That would not normally be the case. Normally you would expect the sound quality to be better with a higher signal into the amp (Better SNR).

However:
Is there any risk in using the amp like this?
Not at all. If you prefer it this way, there is absolutely no problem running it like that.

mike70

That would not normally be the case. Normally you would expect the sound quality to be better with a higher signal into the amp (Better SNR).

in a subjective way, some people finds better sound with lower SNR ... remember valvular amplifiers, as an example.
we all listen different and sometimes a cleaner signal can be associated to a "clinical / sterile" sound (even more with the awful / compressed recordings we usually have) .
in that way, the system can "hide" the ugly signal better than in a resolutive system
that happens.

OldTimer

in a subjective way, some people finds better sound with lower SNR ... remember valvular amplifiers, as an example.
we all listen different and sometimes a cleaner signal can be associated to a "clinical / sterile" sound (even more with the awful / compressed recordings we usually have) .
in that way, the system can "hide" the ugly signal better than in a resolutive system
that happens.
For soft listening at night, I set the volume at 36% on Airplay while at the amp at 85%.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
that happens.
I don't think anyone likes noise. Valves or otherwies. I think you are talking about harmonic distortion - which has nothing to do with SNR.

And that whole thing about clean = sterile/clinical is simply audiophile nonsense.

mike70

I don't think anyone likes noise. Valves or otherwies. I think you are talking about harmonic distortion - which has nothing to do with SNR.

And that whole thing about clean = sterile/clinical is simply audiophile nonsense.

Yes, you're right, I talked about THD.

But, I really think that a cleaner / flatter sound can be perceived more clinical than a "V" eq style sound you get with some vintage components (as an example).

Yes, is a nonsense, but many people LOVE that sound ... I have had experiences on that ... a decent class D is perceived in that way compared to a classical Marantz 2325. Not everyone have / want to be right on it, they only listen what they like / find better. And it's ok for me.

Top Bottom