• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 216 49.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 175 39.9%

• Total voters

saberger0357

I drive a pair of JBL Studio 590s (92db sensitive) with the V3 in my main system, source Wiim Pro into a Schiit Modi 3E and then into a line stage/preamp. The V3 performs very nicely and I leave lots of power in reserve even with louder SPLs than are comfortable for me.

The V3 is the first Chinese chip amp (I've tried several) that I'm happy to keep in my main system indefinitely. For me it's that good.
Ditto.

marX

Anyone here using older SVS subwoofers along with their Fosi V3 amp?

I mean I got an offer for an SVS PB 1000 for £449. I know it's an older design and ported. But would it be good enough for music?

I want to use the built-in in line level cutoff feature of the sub at 80hz so that I can free the Fosi V3 and my Revels from playing low.

If I want to go for newer models, the sealed version is £600 and the ported version is like £800, a bit costly for my liking.

marX

Anyone here using older SVS subwoofers along with their Fosi V3 amp?

I mean I got an offer for an SVS PB 1000 for £449. I know it's an older design and ported. But would it be good enough for music?

I want to use the built-in in line level cutoff feature of the sub at 80hz so that I can free the Fosi V3 and my Revels from playing low.

If I want to go for newer models, the sealed version is £600 and the ported version is like £800, a bit costly for my liking.
I just bought an SVS SB 1000 Pro!

Hope I can get it level matched with my little Fosi and the Revels.

T&T

Before buying the smsl su1, my favorite opamp on Fosi V3 was lme49860 with smsl su1 the Sparkos labs SS3602 is muchhh better by far, I will try the Muses02 but I doubt will beat the Sparkos.
Using Wiim Pro and smsl su1 both power with a power bank that uses 18650 batteries super clean sound.

Gratefuldad

Anyone know if the 3.5 mm "Pre Out" at the back of the unit is properly controlled by the volume control, or is it the always the same level as incoming line level?
Not sure if this has been answered. The preout is before the volume control.. as such not affected by it.

burkm

The so-called "Pre Out" ist not controlled by the volume control, it can be used as an input too, because it is just directly parallelized to the regular RCA input. It thus is just an "Aux In-/Out".
The desciption as "Pre-Out" is just a misconception.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The so-called "Pre Out" ist not controlled by the volume control, it can be used as an input too, because it is just directly parallelized to the regular RCA input. It thus is just an "Aux In-/Out".
The desciption as "Pre-Out" is just a misconception.
Fosi Audio seems to be a great company that has good potential in affordable high-quality low-cost amps. If I had any influence, I would like them to stop using such incorrect term such as pre outs that are not, and RMS power that don't actually make sense.

Toku

Major Contributor
Fosi Audio seems to be a great company that has good potential in affordable high-quality low-cost amps. If I had any influence, I would like them to stop using such incorrect term such as pre outs that are not, and RMS power that don't actually make sense.
This is not limited to Fosi, but applies to the entire audio industry in China.
But recently, I think things are gradually improving.
I have been appealing for the adoption of the taper A volume pot and 63V power supply capacitor adopted in the V3 for four years now, and this time, with the Fosi V3, it has finally become a reality.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But recently, I think things are gradually improving. If you notice anything, please feel free to comment.
I have been appealing for the adoption of the taper A volume pot and 63V power supply capacitor adopted in the V3 for four years now, and this time, with the Fosi V3, it has finally become a reality.
I would add that it isn't just China either. Just look at published specs of North America (probably European countries too) companies, on power output, and power consumption that are really very basic stuff, yet they won't bother doing it right, but continue to help normalizing things that are technically incorrect, and potentially confusing. The need for super high (1000 or more..) damping factor was another one (such as Crown Audio's claims), but in recent years they seem to have stopped twisting that one.

plastico

For shits and giggles I hooked up my IPOD in the pre-out input and I can use the volume control on the V3 to raise or lower the volume.
Cheers, Doug

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For shits and giggles I hooked up my IPOD in the pre-out input and I can use the volume control on the V3 to raise or lower the volume.
Cheers, Doug
This pre-out is line-in/out in functionality.
You are using pre-out as input, and input volume can be controlled by vol. knob.
It won’t be the case when you connect pre-out to another amplifier or powered speakers.

plastico

This pre-out is line-in/out in functionality.
You are using pre-out as input, and input volume can be controlled by vol. knob.
It won’t be the case when you connect pre-out to another amplifier or powered speakers.
"I see" said the blind man!:)
Cheers, Doug

burkm

But recently, I think things are gradually improving. If you notice anything, please feel free to comment.

This is probably due to translation. English tongue is not what they use daily...

Toku

Major Contributor
I would add that it isn't just China either. Just look at published specs of North America (probably European countries too) companies, on power output, and power consumption that are really very basic stuff, yet they won't bother doing it right, but continue to help normalizing things that are technically incorrect, and potentially confusing. The need for super high (1000 or more..) damping factor was another one (such as Crown Audio's claims), but in recent years they seem to have stopped twisting that one.
Yes, I also think that your point is correct.
Japanese audio manufacturers have been doing the same thing as Chinese manufacturers. Users also need to have the knowledge to see through it.
This may be a bit extreme, but I think there is a hidden idea in the audio industry that it is worse to be deceived than to deceive people.
(I am not sure if the English sentences are correct)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I also think that your point is correct.
Japanese audio manufacturers have been doing the same thing as Chinese manufacturers. Users also need to have the knowledge to see through it.
This may be a bit extreme, but I think there is a hidden idea in the audio industry that it is worse to be deceived than to deceive people.
(I am not sure if the English sentences are correct)

I believe many of us are here not only to learn from each other, but also to help the beginners to "see through it". "it" being the misleading claims and marketing info, myths and hypes etc., whether those stuff are to deceive intentionally or not.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think toku is saying basically 'caveat emptor' which is kind of fair here

if you dont know what you're doing go to your local B&M and get a Yamaha 301 with a warranty and all

if you choose to buy a Fosi or Aiyima or even SMSL and especially Topping and you're buying stuff shipped from China then maybe you need to educate yourself

but even Fosi are super strange when it comes to post sales support as seen even here

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
if you dont know what you're doing go to your local B&M and get a Yamaha 301 with a warranty and all

Actually, the guy that buys the Yamaha AS-301 will get a fantastic product, with tons of flexibility, a heap of inputs, full remote, a decent warranty, spare parts, way better resale, and something he/she will be proud to own, rather than something he/she will need to make excuses for.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Yamaha A-S301 is a different kind of product, that costs 3.5 to 4X the price of the Fosi Audio V3. It has the advantages that restorer-john mentioned, but for someone with a limited budget, and doesn't need the extra functionality of the 301's, the V3 is a viable option. I have two and so far I am happy with them.

Top Bottom