• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 216 49.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 175 39.9%

• Total voters

burkm

I don't know, but my point of view is, that an "unvisible" damage (to me) is not covered by warranty or would warrant a "costly" (China !) exchange, considering the distance and cost of this. I didn't see any malfuntion or misalignment on those pictures I had access to. The main problem is, that one has to "prove" visibly or audibly a deficiency somehow, such that to be at least acceptable to the other side. If one can't talk to the opposing side and explain it in person or present a visible evidence or malfunction, how is the reaction of the opponent to be judged then ? Its quite a distance between Canada and China...

I would be surprised, if this is really a problem caused by the transport company (logistics), because of the thick foam protecting the inerts of the package. I would rather think, that this is a somehow "defective" part caused by the supplier of the potentiometer, which seemed to got annoticed during production of the unit and - probably - the corresponding part manufacture. There probably has been a sort of quality control by Fosi, although the product is "cheap"by normal means, but the character of this deficiency has not been registered as such during this control.

I don't know, if an unconditional return is possible. As such You have to have a look at the written sales agreement and its conditions. I am not familiar with chinese law...
Thus i will keep myself out of this dispute...

Last edited:

burkm

I told them that I would like to return it, and they told me to put it in a vice and bend it back.. :rolleyes:
Unfortunately I don't really know, what you told Fosi.
You should at least try to "amplify" your arguments by providing more photos, which show any existing problem "better" than the ones shown here...

SuperDerpBro

It's pretty clear in most of the pictures provided. If you cannot see it, iduno what to tell you. It's pretty clear.

It looks a bit worse in person.

It's only $100, I'll move on. Probably (honestly) sell it on FB market for $50.

Never buying Chifi again though. I had a problem with a tb10d as well. Though, they did eventually send me a replacement after 7000 emails.

Guess I'll try a Yamaha R-S202 factory direct refurb for this setup.. though I did want it to be small. :/

Zek

Major Contributor
6Yz3W6X.jpeg

I don't see anything wrong on this picture... :oops:

burkm

That is my problem too. I don't see it, probably because the amps front is not parallel to the picture sides ?
Is the volume knob slightly "slanted" mounted ? Really hard to see...
To state "its clear..." is not true at least for me...

Note: I am reading a lot about the "30-day return period" after sales. Did you take that into account: Just return the "defective" amp within the stated period and order a new one ?

Last edited:

Mordor

The problem with many chinese products, is the quality control.....sometimes is horrible.

This is one of the cases.....

-Jim-

It's pretty clear in most of the pictures provided. If you cannot see it, iduno what to tell you. It's pretty clear.

It looks a bit worse in person.

It's only $100, I'll move on. Probably (honestly) sell it on FB market for $50.

Never buying Chifi again though. I had a problem with a tb10d as well. Though, they did eventually send me a replacement after 7000 emails.

Guess I'll try a Yamaha R-S202 factory direct refurb for this setup.. though I did want it to be small. :/
@SuperDerpBro Are you in Metro Vancouver? If so I'll give you $50 for it with the 48 volt power supply. I'm not put off by the bent pot.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
The problem with many chinese products, is the quality control.....sometimes is horrible.

This is one of the cases.....

QA/QC is one thing but its also how they deal with post sales

even a brand as vaunted as Fosi seems to regress back to their Sino ways... do you expect any western company to ask customers to... and I quote... "stick it into a vice"

lol is this real life???

a normal friggin' company would ask for this back and a new unit to be sent to the customer and then some investigation into how this left the factory like that

but nah... let's just screw the customer and bury our heads in the sand... tell me a more chinese way.... i'll wait

boz

Hello welcome!
In my opinion, you should try it a little more. According to what I have read, this amplifier with a 32v source gets a little happier after 2 or 3 o'clock, then the differences with the Aiyima begin to be felt.
I know I'm coming back a while after I sent my original message, but want to say I'm very happy with the amp now and think it sounds great!, thanks for the encouragement to stick with it a little bit more ; )

-Jim-

Gents, let's not post racist comments. These are just companies who may not perform as you'd like.

I know dealing in items for warranty coverage overseas is a risk we take to get items for the lowest cost. (yes- I too have bought the odd thing direct from China with mixed results.) Blame the company not the Chinese. Would you hurl insults at all Americans if you were having warranty difficulties with your new Ford F-150? I think not.

burkm

That is probably the way Chinese customers are treated too. I don't think, that they care about this 100$ amp as much because of cost considerations.

Those foreign customers may be thousands of miles away and present arguments, which local customers might not present at all. I myself had problems in identifying anything really wrong with the unit when looking at the photos provided, although they should be "clearly" showing the defect stated. One must consider the situation they are in then: low cost product with an unclear (at least for me) "defect" wanting a new unit in exchange for what they got (free of charge). Sending back the "defective" unit and delivering a new unit in exchange might proof to be quite expensive (I don't really know, how the international transports back and forth are calculated). This might have to be calculated already into the sales price as western companies do or not. Considering those costs might lead to the expected result "...they don't really care", because new sales will probably not happen in the near future anyway, thus an exchange for a new product will not happen.
There is no general audience, who would care about the comments and steps taken, like on "ebay" or "amazon" etc. and no real penalty in "letting it go...".

@SuperDerpBro
If Your response to that story is " I never buy ChiFi again..." that's fine with me, although most of those stories and corresponding reactions have been known before as that is the "real" risk in dealing with Chinese sellers.

Last edited:

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
On a separate note, are all amps that measure at 1 kHz the same? A 50 watt Yamaha blowing this 85+ watt amp out of the water on pure power?

Start watching at the 11 min 10 sec mark

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
On a separate note, are all amps that measure at 1 kHz the same? A 50 watt Yamaha blowing this 85+ watt amp out of the water on pure power?

He never shows the Fosi power supply on the video that I can see - I'm thinking he was using the 32v supply, not the 48...which would negate all of his gripes about power...

Juampa1989

How many vrms does the maximum input have on the analog inputs? , so I see which dac to buy. And what happens if I feed it less vrms?

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
did you watch the video ? he clearly goes into buying the 48v option
No, didn't watch all of it...it's so very long...must have missed that. Well, anyway, I don't disagree that for folks wanting to play at very high volume levels, there are better choices that the $100 class D amps, but they are fine for low to moderate music volume levels.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Good tests but he just said 5A power supply a few times, don’t think he ever said 32v or 48v. He probably have 32v that comes with amp as default on purchase.
Correction: He actually shows PSU in the beginning and shows 48v PSU.
But anyways, What does it mean in real world, That Fosi v3 can not play music to not-so-high levels???
Everyone knows that power figures provided for such chip amplifiers aren’t true in practice, and that there are limitations for sure. But we also have many different measurements available which tells close enough information.
I think every one would at least agree that these TPA3255 amps are great value for it’s price.
No one is stopping anyone from buying expensive bulky amplifier if they need for there use.

Add: I just tested my Aiyima A07 Pro (running with 36v PSU) playing Elac DBR62 to 85 - 90 db for 5+ minutes, approx 2.5 meters from speakers, with iphone app called decibel x. No issues.

Last edited:

wpo7

No, didn't watch all of it...it's so very long...must have missed that. Well, anyway, I don't disagree that for folks wanting to play at very high volume levels, there are better choices that the $100 class D amps, but they are fine for low to moderate music volume levels.
yes he went into at the beginning, his humour is a little dry and meandering when you're looking for basic info only.

Top Bottom