• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ImDino

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 4th gen. It's clean and has a fair amount of power but I want smoother mids to highs, wider soundstage and more full bass. I was thinking of connecting an amp to output 3-4 on my Scarlett.

Any DX3 Pro+ users with a similar setup? Do I simply get 1/4 to coax cables? What can I expect from the sound when connecting to my existing interface as opposed to plugging it directly to my computer with USB?

OP
I

ImDino

I don't think you can do that with a DX3 Pro+... you need something that can be used as a plain amp, like an L30 (if cascaded from the headphone out with an adapter cable) or L50.
It has coax L/R in, I should be able to convert 1/4 to coax no?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd recommend the Topping l30 if if you've got RCA out in the Scarlett and use that. The lower output impedance let's you use IEMs without changing the sound like it does on the DX3 Pro. Your expecting a lot that an amp and DAC can't provide, 90 percent of that is the headphones. The only 2 amps where I noticed the soundstage is larger at all is the Topping a90 I've got, and the Drop One single end version of the thx 789. If you can find the One it would be ideal since it's RCA input. They show up on eBay sometimes (not in production like the L30 II).
I've got a DX3 Pro+ and it's great for demanding headphones, but not good for low ohm IEMs. The DX5 I sold last week was a lot nicer/more versatile.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I'd recommend the Topping l30 if if you've got RCA out in the Scarlett and use that.
It doesn't have that, but there is the headphone output which by itself should be more than fine with a matching cable.

Frequency Response20-20kHz ± 0.1dB @ 33Ω / 300Ω
Dynamic Range115dB @ 300Ω
THD+N-108dB @ 300Ω
Maximum Output Level11dBu into 300Ω

OP
I

ImDino

It doesn't have that, but there is the headphone output which by itself should be more than fine with a matching cable.

Frequency Response20-20kHz ± 0.1dB @ 33Ω / 300Ω
Dynamic Range115dB @ 300Ω
THD+N-108dB @ 300Ω
Maximum Output Level11dBu into 300Ω
Sure but why not 1/4 to RCA adapters? I hope they're not fundamentally bad or anything. (Trained ears but nooby in audio tech)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Sure but why not 1/4 to RCA adapters?
You can't get the cables you'd need off the shelf, and using readily available 1/4 TS to RCA basically shorts out one half of the output, which I doubt it would be very happy about. What you'd need is RaneNote 110 #10B.

1/4" stereo to dual RCA cabling is a lot more easily available, and the headphone out still is more than good enough for feeding a headphone amp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom