• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Chora 816 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 28 9.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 56.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 97 32.4%

• Total voters

Snix

These are my everyday speakers (for TV, youtube and stuffs).
Love them, especially considering the price, they perform more than "well enough".

For me they feel like bigger bookshelves with a bit of extra oomph,
kinda lively yet enough bass without being too boom-ey/bloated like other cheap floorstanders.

The build & finishing aren't too shabby either.

AnthonyH

Forum Donor
I thought 87 db was on the higher end these days,especially for bookshelves. Seems like the majority are 85 or even less. Would they really require that much power?
I was surprised also. My first thought was that I had misinterpreted the oscilloscope scale and the voltage was off by a factor of ten, but that would make no sense because then I would be content with a 5W amplifier. I should have emphasized that these transients are very short, typically 10 to 50 mS and much shorter than the 1000 mS of an SPL meter which would smooth them out substantially. Except for classical music and jazz, recordings are typically mixed with significant volume compression (see https://musicproductionnerds.com/compression-settings-vocals for example) and you wouldn't see as high a dynamic range in pop music as I measured with classical.
I have another test in mind. REW will let me generate a sinewave with a level shown as dB full scale and I can measure the voltage on the speaker terminal when I play it with my normal volume setting. Obviously a properly mastered track will come close to digital full scale at some point so the amplifier needs to be able to handle that level. This approach would be less subjective.
I finally did the test with the REW generator. I set the system gain to a comfortable listening level (80 dB most of the time with peaks visible at 90 dB), just using the Radio Shack SPL meter to give a rough idea of how loud I generally play music. I measured pk-pk voltage at the speaker. At 1 kHz, 40 dB below full scale in REW gave 1 V pk-pk. 20 dB gave 10 V (exactly as you would expect). So full scale would need 100 V pk-pk, very close to the 126 V limit of the 500W amplifier. This is not unreasonable, looking at the chart in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headroom_(audio_signal_processing). At this point, I'm convinced that I really do need this much brute power capability.
This won't be true for most people. It's mostly because the Magnepan speakers are not very efficient. I think that a couple of hundred watts per channel is usually adequate.
It bugged me that the Mackie sounded better to me than other amplifiers I tried - I wouldn't have expected it. A borrowed oscilloscope really helped figure out why.
I think I'll start looking for a cheap oscilloscope!

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But I just noticed... These (816) are now sold-out at many French stores! I wonder if the new Vestia line is finally going to replace Chora (instead of 10-years old Aria)?
Check out the search result for Focal Theva—someone leaked some photos and video
focal-theva-loudspeakers-2023.jpg

focal-theva-loudspeakers-black-no-grille.jpg

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When was Chora released? Seems like just the other day!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
September 2019.
Interesting that they already replace it, while keeping the good older Aria series still produced. Ok, they offer now also in parallel the Aria K2 and Vestia and even the old Chorus series, in my opinion too many series with overlap that cause more questions than helping a choice.

tw 2022

Interesting that they already replace it, while keeping the good older Aria series still produced. Ok, they offer now also in parallel the Aria K2 and Vestia and even the old Chorus series, in my opinion too many series with overlap that cause more questions than helping a choice.
profit margin.....nothing else seems to matter recently....

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Conclusions
The positive look and feel of Chora 816 put me in good mood for testing of the speaker. On the other hand, once I saw the 2.5-way designation, I thought we were going to have problems. It seems that Focal has managed to keep most of the negatives of this approach to acceptable levels while bringing its high output capability to the table.
@amirm what are the negatives you mention of a 2.5 way design?

testp

Didn't they just release Vestia, what model Vestia replaces then?

Amir review was quite positive, focal has great choices for budget friendly setup with dsp i think..

MarcT

Forum Donor
Didn't they just release Vestia, what model Vestia replaces then?

Amir review was quite positive, focal has great choices for budget friendly setup with dsp i think..
Imo, Focal had raised the Aria prices way too high. Nice to see the Vestia being more affordable.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just picked up a pair of Vestia No. 1’s to try out. Had some TMR store credit. Haven’t arrived yet. I will take some nearfield measurements.

One subjective review suggests that the Vestia has leaner bass but smoother treble compared to the Chora. When compared to the Aria, they felt that the Aria offered slightly richer and more textured mids. The bass also seems rounder and deeper.

I suspect the flax driver handles higher SPLs but the newer tech in the Chora already gave the Aria a run for the money.

In a direct question of Aria vs Vestia, the review thought the new tweeter was better and the aesthetics were better with the Vestia.

What you see with the Aria K2 and the Vestia is that the car audio division probably is making better drivers with higher economies of scale. They have introduced the M geometry to the mobile Utopia line too.

We actually saw something similar with JBL and their M2/4367/4319/4312E having better woofer technology than the more expensive/older K2 S9900 or Everest DD67000. Timing does matter.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect the flax driver handles higher SPLs but the newer tech in the Chora already gave the Aria a run for the money.
Not really, while they measure surprisingly similar the Aria measures a tad smoother than the cheaper and now discontinued Chora:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really, while they measure surprisingly similar the Aria measures a tad smoother than the cheaper and now discontinued Chora
It was interesting because that soundstage NRC measurement shows a flatter Aria curve than what Amir measured here, suggesting the axis makes a big difference.

I had mixed the distortion too, but it really does seem that everything below the crossover (the woofer) is largely in favor of the Chora and the tweeter is better on the Aria.

In this case, it’s possible that the newer M-geometry is sufficient to improve the response of the tweeter in the Vestia.

I don’t have any shipping info yet, but have been told that it’s in stock with the distributor.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had mixed the distortion too, but it really does seem that everything below the crossover (the woofer) is largely in favor of the Chora and the tweeter is better on the Aria.
I don't see a significant superiority of the Chora woofer
thd_90db.png

compared to the Aria one
thd_90db.gif

the woofer of Aria seems even to have a bit lower distortion above 150 Hz.

munin

I still feel sad seeing on the focal website that they advise for a burn-in time for their speakers.
And it makes me kinda angry when audiophile point that out to say the burn'in is necessary and exist.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still feel sad seeing on the focal website that they advise for a burn-in time for their speakers.
And it makes me kinda angry when audiophile point that out to say the burn'in is necessary and exist.
This is probably to keep the card-carrying audiophiles satisfied and more about getting them used to (let their brains break-in to the new sound) the speakers so they don't rush it back for a return to store. Marketing team doing it's job.

munin

This is probably to keep the card-carrying audiophiles satisfied and more about getting them used to (let their brains break-in to the new sound) the speakers so they don't rush it back for a return to store. Marketing team doing it's job.
Yes it's obviously that. At least they don't go as far as JMR and their special burn-in CD :D
But on the other hand, I think promoting fake science for a brand like this doesn't look good. Even if their speakers are good, I don't want to give money money to a brand which promote such things.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it's obviously that. At least they don't go as far as JMR and their special burn-in CD :D
But on the other hand, I think promoting fake science for a brand like this doesn't look good. Even if their speakers are good, I don't want to give money money to a brand which promote such things.
I don't care as much. They measure well, I got these on sale, so...

tw 2022

the unwashed masses aren't educated enough to worry about "why" ,nor do they care to be , give em an easy answer that they can fall back on ...if they really wanted to know why they'd be here ...

Top Bottom