• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fiio R7 Android Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 129 60.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 13.0%

• Total voters

Theoldfella

Generally I ignore measurements, and go for...what does it sound like?. I have purchased a second hand one with the remote for the bedroom, not to replace my desktop set up, so we shall see.

Vlalman

Hey guys! Nice to meet you here. I'm totally from another thread. Home cinema, processors, receivers and all the stuff. That is for me. So let me ask an easy question.

Can I take the Fiio beauty and play Apple Music Dolby Atmos content from it? Via receiver with all speakers included, for sure! If you have any clue on what shall I buy to get Atmos music, then tell please.

worms

Hi,

Despite my previous post, I got one of those R7 devices used for a about 460€.

What I wanted to do is have a streamer I can control with my phone or a remote control and that is truly "all-in-one" and "self-sufficient".
So it had to be a streamer + DAC + headphone amp and has to have USB so I can stick my USB Sticks to listen to my music.
So far this is more or less the only proposition I have seen for a decent price... and 460€ for a device "like new" but "used" is fair to me.
Whole thing should be usable in an easy way.
Of course it has to deliver decent sound quality on top of that...

So does the R7 deliver ?

First, can it be used as autonomous self sufficient all-in-one device ?

First thing, plug-it in to power it. But that, you'll have to do with every device.
So far, it's easy.
Second thing, plug-in a USB stick. I even plugged-in a USB Hub with 3 USB SSD drives. So it also mandatory on any other device.
So far it's easy.
Power-up the device...
So far, it's easy.
Wait a little (about 45 seconds) until it's powered up. Launch Fiio Music app.
So far it's easy.
In the Fiio app you'll be presented with a menu that will show your connected drives. Just select the one you want. Browse through it. Launch your album/track.
Done and easy.

So yes, it is self-sufficient and easy to use.
That checks two boxes.

Second thing : can I remote control it with a phone or remote control ?

Well, if you acquyire the separate RM-3 remote control, yes you can.
It is a Bluetooth remote control and it is paired really easily to the R7.
The only thing is, if the R7 is switched off, the connection to the RM-3 will be lost upon rebooting.
It is not too bad because if you long press the "power" buytton on the RM-3 it pairs again automatically...

Now about the remote controlling with a smartphone...
Can it be done ?
Yes, it can, but that is slightly less easy :-(
You have to launch the Fiio Cast app on the device.
You have to install "Fiio Control" app on your smartphone and launch it.
Once launched on the phone you can see "Player" at the bottom. Hit that and you'll be given an option to cast the display of the R7 on your phone.
It's not super intuitive, but it's OK...
The real problem is the Fiio Control app. It stops the casting after 3à seconds when not used.

There is an easy workaround and that is to install AnyDesk on both the R7 and the Phone.
Configure Anydesk on the R7 so it allows remote users to do whatever they want.
Launch Anydesk on your phone and enter the code of the R7.
There you go : casting the device screen forever...

So I consider this box is ticked also, even if only half ticked...
But I can definitely live with that.

Third thing : what about sound ?

Well, we have Amirm measurements here.
They are not stellar, but they're above decent I think.
I think it should be moticed that Fiio added a nice bonus with the latest firmware updates.
And that is : systemwide PEQ.
So you can have PEQ whatever app you're using...
And you can then get independent from the Fiio Music app to get PEQ.
And yes, it works... I could EQ my Sony MDR-Z7 and Sony MDR-Z1R to my tastes...
And use whatever music source I want : Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon music, BubbleUPnP...

One more thing :
Everything just works. Wireless or wired. And that is a relief.
I also own the Shanling EH-3. It's sound is maginificient to my ears.
I do not know if Amirm ever tested an ESS 9039 Pro powered device, but to my ears, that DAZC is unsurpassed for squeezing every last detail on your tracks...
So the EH-3 is definitely a way above in sound quality...
But the software to power it is a total waste :-(

I hear Fiio is about to release the R9 with ESS9038 Pro DAC.
If only they would have chosen the ESS 9039 Pro I would have gone for it instantly on release !

So despite a lot of negative posts in here, most of them from users not having had the device in their hands, I am fully satisfied with it.
The only thing is, sound is not as stellar as with other devices I own (subjectively I mean).
It's not bad, but I wish it would have been slightly better :cool:
Thank you for your feedback.
I'm wondering what devices have you owned that you think the R7 plays better than?
I'm facing the choice of something for my computer, currently I've tested K11, K7 from Fiio, Topping DX5, I'm still looking for something that will make me not return to the store, but will stay with me.

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,
As I said the best sounding device I got is the shanling eh-3
Sounds wonderful...

We even tried it as a pre amp. Beats the smsl su9 hands down !

But the steamer function is not really nice should you need EQ...
There are workarounds but they're all had to compromise a feature of another.

And fiio is more or less supporting it's devices. Shanling does not. There's no hope for those problems to be fixed any time !

oceansize

Forum Donor
Hi,
As I said the best sounding device I got is the shanling eh-3
Sounds wonderful...

We even tried it as a pre amp. Beats the smsl su9 hands down !

But the steamer function is not really nice should you need EQ...
There are workarounds but they're all had to compromise a feature of another.

And fiio is more or less supporting it's devices. Shanling does not. There's no hope for those problems to be fixed any time !
I've had a FiiO M11 Plus for 18 month and it appears that it is no longer compatible with the latest FiiO Music app (it cannot update to the latest version of the app). This is not a problem for me - I use Foobar as my player of choice without any issues. However, as with any Android based player, be aware that apps may become outdated in the not too distant future.

PenguinMusic

Hi,
Same problem on Fiio m11 pro.
Shanling eh-3 is not Android based.
I think fiio announced that the r7 will be updated to Android 12 in a bar future.
Which makes the device future proof for some years...

Besides losing compatibility with some software is not a problem as long as you can keep using older apps... Except of course streaming services apps :-(

But I agree... That is why I am looking for a device that will work flawlessly with third party apps. I wonder if the matrix mini I 4 pro would be future proof !

Burki

You can upgrade the Fiio music app in using not Google store, but the Fiio app itself.

oceansize

Forum Donor
You can upgrade the Fiio music app in using not Google store, but the Fiio app itself.
Thank you. Updating via the FiiO Applications app worked for me on my M11 Plus. But I'll still use Foobar as my player of choice :)

oceansize

Forum Donor
Hi,

It works but I do not think it installs latests version of Fiio Music :-(

But I'm checking it.
I updated via the FiiO Applications app. After updating, checking with Google Play showed all apps up to date.

PenguinMusic

I updated via the FiiO Applications app. After updating, checking with Google Play showed all apps up to date.
Lucky you... Me, when I try to update with the Fiio App I get a "There was aproblem parsing the app" showing...
So I can't install.
Anyways, I'll sell this old player and all my DAP's : Shanling m2x, m3x, m6, m6 Pro and m8 :)

Top Bottom