• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Exasperating Server problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have been trialling a new server , it was designed to replace my MacBook but it keeps stuttering, dropping out ,constantly 'initialising ' but not always 'connecting' to Roon.
Every other Mac/PC/laptop works absolutely solidly in the very same configuration in my system.
I am just wondering if I am missing something or is the product just not well designed?
Any thoughts welcome.
Keith

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Couple of questions for you.

1. Is it Windows or Mac?
2. How is it connected to your network? Ethernet or Wifi?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is Linux, it connects optically to a switch which is connected to my network, if I plug any other device into the switch via ethernet it works fine ,the server only has optical connection so I can't connect it any other way.
Keith

Keith_W

Major Contributor
That's odd that your server only accepts optical. Have you tried another optical cable? Is there no way to try an Ethernet connection?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is very frustrating it was bought with an eye to recommend it to customers, but no one would buy it at the moment!
Especially when the cheapest laptop, works perfectly, table,connects instantly doesn't stutter ,drop out etc...
Apparently it is all my fault!
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It is very frustrating it was bought with an eye to recommend it to customers, but no one would buy it at the moment!
Especially when the cheapest laptop, works perfectly, table,connects instantly doesn't stutter ,drop out etc...
Apparently it is all my fault!
Keith
That old chestnut :D

Swiftly preceded by ' we've sold loads and never had any problems before' :rolleyes:

If it's optical only and 'plug n play' it literally can't be your fault...

Is it a uk brand or a little known Canadian guy?:D

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When you say "optical" you mean a fiber connection? If so, that connection or cable can be faulty.

To test, get a cheap USB to Ethernet adapter and plug that in and see if that works. If it does, then rules out all but that fiber connection.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Amir Hi yes an optical connection , the Ethernet 'switch ' has the transmitter built in and the receiver is in the Streamer , the only connection 'in' to the Streamer is optical it has USB out.
Keith

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What happens if you go on that server and try to access the Internet? Does it run reliably? Can you download a large file without problem?

Or is this a dedicated music server and you can't use it as a computer this way?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is a dedicated server, but if I connect any other computer to the ethernet switch ( wireless off ) everything works perfectly ,no stuttering ,dropouts everything fine.
I don't believe the optical transmission is the problem because it does work, but fitfully, stutters then drops out, or gets stuck 'initialising' , I am using it dedicated to Roon.
Keith

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I realize the switch is OK. I am trying to diagnose what part of the server is at fault. If it is the optical cable, then that is an easy fix. Try the USB to Ethernet adapter in there and hopefully it has a plug-and-play driver and will recognize and use that (leave optical connection disconnected).

The problem you describe sounds very much like a faulty network connection and hence my reasoning above.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Try the USB to Ethernet adapter

He said the USB on the mysterious and unidentified device is for output.

the only connection 'in' to the Streamer is optical it has USB out.

I have nothing optical here except S/PDIF.

Have you previously successfully used the optical port on the ethernet switch with some other device?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could it be the driver on the Optical NIC?

Do you have to use Optical. Have you tried replacing the Optical NIC with a Copper one? Do you know Linux?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
The fact that all other devices work off your switch suggests that it is a problem with one of the following:

1. The optical transmitter in your switch
2. The optical cable
3. The optical receiver in your server
4. Some other hardware or software fault with your server

To diagnose each of this, you need to:

1. Remove the server and plug another device which accepts optical input to the SAME output on your switch and the same cable. If it works, then the optical transmitter in your switch is OK.
2. Swap the optical cable
3. Try an Ethernet connection to your server. Or, as Amir suggests, try a USB to Ethernet connector.
4. Go to a friend's house and see if your server works on their network.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I tried again on another PC to download the upgraded OS , still can't download, despite any 'grade student' being able to do it.
The manufacturer isn't responding to my emails, I don't believe he has sent a micro SD card with the new OS. I am not sure why he wouldn't if the upgraded OS would solve problem?
I had an engineer friend install the unit into his system and he suffered from the very same issues.
Bit disappointing really, certainly couldn't recommend this product or the mnufacturer as things stand.
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I tried again on another PC to download the upgraded OS , still can't download, despite any 'grade student' being able to do it.
The manufacturer isn't responding to my emails, I don't believe he has sent a micro SD card with the new OS. I am not sure why he wouldn't if the upgraded OS would solve problem?
I had an engineer friend install the unit into his system and he suffered from the very same issues.
Bit disappointing really, certainly couldn't recommend this product or the mnufacturer as things stand.
Keith

Come on Keith , it's 'plug and play'a true 'turn key' device ..Even the manufacturers 6 year old daughter can work it :D:D

Oh well I hope the issue 'blows itself out' :D

Though I know nothing about the server I think I can identify the 'real' problem ;):D

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The concept is great, I like everything about it, I just would like it to work as well as any cheap laptop.
Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom