• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Exclamation Mark issue

ppataki

Major Contributor
I am not sure if there is a thread about this topic already, if so please let me know

I decided to create this thread to get to know who else is battling with the 'Exclamation mark/Imprecise measurement' issue in Dirac Live 3.x

Whenever I measure my system with Dirac (does not matter if the latest stable version or the latest beta version) I always see this in the measurement window:

1708683407171.png

I am using an UMIK-1 USB-C microphone and I have tried all these:
- changing to a mini-USB UMIK-1 mic
- changing the USB cable
- changing the Windows-based PC (to a Windows-based laptop and to a Mac Mini)

No matter what I try I always get this error message....even on my other system in my home office
The consequences are that Dirac will only apply FR correction, no phase correction and all the gain and delay settings will be zeroed out too
Essentially it renders Dirac quite useless

I have recently tried using the laptop's built-in microphone (just for testing) and it works like a charm so I guess there is a bug in Dirac handling the USB microphone....which is very funny since that microphone is advertised to work with Dirac perfectly

I have been struggling with this for more than 6 months now. I am in like continuous touch with their support team but either they don't care or they don't have the faintest idea how to fix this issue

I am wondering how many people here have encountered this issue and if you have found a solution
And maybe together we could put more pressure on Dirac to take this seriously and get it solved
Many thanks
FYI @Flak

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
90 degrees but I tried 0 degrees too, does not work
OK, thanks. 90 degrees (i.e., pointing to the ceiling) is optimal for this.

Are there any nearby (to the mic) reflecting objects?

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
OK, thanks. 90 degrees (i.e., pointing to the ceiling) is optimal for this.

Are there any nearby (to the mic) reflecting objects?
Only the couch but I guess that is more of an absorption object
When I measure my home office upstairs there are virtually no objects around and still I get the error :(

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Noisy AC/ventilation system, particularly at low frequencies?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Have you checked that the gain in the microphone has been set correctly, i.e. either too low to the noise floor, or too high that it clips? Is there a gain indicator on Dirac while you are taking the measurement? I usually watch the gain indicator when I am taking a measurement - I want it as high as possible, but not so high that it clips.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Have you checked that the gain in the microphone has been set correctly, i.e. either too low to the noise floor, or too high that it clips? Is there a gain indicator on Dirac while you are taking the measurement? I usually watch the gain indicator when I am taking a measurement - I want it as high as possible, but not so high that it clips.
No clipping occurs

GaryY

Forum Donor
Someone said he could succeed by lowering gain by 5db.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
It looks you are not alone.
Yes, I know - the situation is pretty serious
I even know multiple people personally in my surroundings having the same issue.......
I really don't understand how Dirac can let this happen for many months now, I find them hugely unprofessional (not even a single comms went out from them so far)
They are practically flushing their reputation down the drain

Someone said he could succeed by lowering gain by 5db.
I will try that, thank you

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Dummy question: have you checked your reported noise floor level using your umik and another usb mic?
Relating to @Kal Rubinson question, I got that error in the past punctually and was related to high noise floor (ventilation system and dish washer).
As you said you don't have any air conditioning/ ventilation running, maybe an issue with your umik producing noisy output (mic itself or cabling/computer connectivity or even gain issue?)

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Only the couch but I guess that is more of an absorption object
When I measure my home office upstairs there are virtually no objects around and still I get the error :(
OK, if it's happening in two different locations, that would likely be systematic and I'd be digging into noise sources and especially gain and signal level.

The chosen setup in your screen capture is for a desk setup- was that the case for both locations?

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Dummy question: have you checked your reported noise floor level using your umik and another usb mic?
Next week I am supposed to get another UMIK-1 mic from my friend who has never ever had the exclamation mark issue
I will try that mic + I will measure the noise floor with both in REW
Will report back

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Next week I am supposed to get another UMIK-1 mic from my friend who has never ever had the exclamation mark issue
I will try that mic + I will measure the noise floor with both in REW
Will report back
Good idea. And make sure that the levels are annoyingly loud but not deafening. Set mic gain accordingly. One other question- what's your hardware setup, i.e., what unit has the Dirac in it and how are you getting the data to it and noise out of it?

Just for fun, I have an iMM-6C on hand for an article I'm writing; I'll try using it for a Dirac measurement and see if it has any issues.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
One other question- what's your hardware setup, i.e., what unit has the Dirac in it and how are you getting the data to it and noise out of it?
It is a PC which is connected to an RME Digiface via USB which is connected to three Sabaj A30A full-digital amps via optical

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It is a PC which is connected to an RME Digiface via USB which is connected to three Sabaj A30A full-digital amps via optical
So Dirac is resident on the PC? Sorry to be obtuse here, I just want to remove any ambiguity in my mind.

Top Bottom