• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Exasperating Server problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
There clearly is a issue selling this product to folks with pre exsisting networks. Not everyone will want to replace their network gear, should the streamer not just work on most if not all consumer networks?

Most people don't want the hassle Mike, they expect to buy a streamer and plug it in.. Have it work out of the box.

If your streamer is that fussy about the network it operates on I for one can see why Keith feels he can't recommend it. It's my understanding he wanted to promote this product and has no vested interest in its failing .

Unfortunately you will get issues like these, as you point out yourself it's best to not only buy the streamer but replace your whole home network .

That's fine, your open about that but it seriously limits your potential customer base and will no doubt cause issues like these going forward.

There are loads of streamers on the market, maybe they all need special networks.. But I doubt it.

I am sure a simple phone call could of resolved this, it's never easy for either party when your dealing with customers or manufacturers that are out of country either.. It's another layer of difficulty.

Mivera

Major Contributor
There clearly is a issue selling this product to folks with pre exsisting networks. Not everyone will want to replace their network gear, should the streamer not just work on most if not all consumer networks?

Most people don't want the hassle Mike, they expect to buy a streamer and plug it in.. Have it work out of the box.

If your streamer is that fussy about the network it operates on I for one can see why Keith feels he can't recommend it. It's my understanding he wanted to promote this product and has no vested interest in its failing .

Unfortunately you will get issues like these, as you point out yourself it's best to not only buy the streamer but replace your whole home network .

That's fine, your open about that but it seriously limits your potential customer base and will no doubt cause issues like these going forward.

There are loads of streamers on the market, maybe they all need special networks.. But I doubt it.

What do you plug the streamer into?? Streamers are network devices. They must be plugged into network gear. It's not special network gear. It's good quality network gear setup right. If you have poor network gear setup wrong, I don't care who's gear your using you will experience problems. This has absolutely nothing to do with the Ethernet devices in our gear. Roonserver operates exactly the same no matter which hardware it's setup on. But that being said we have sold dozens of these to folks with their own network gear, and Keith is the only one we have had trouble with. The way Keith has his gear setup, a very good router is needed. The NAS is plugged into the switch on the other end of an wifi extender. This data must pass back through the wifi extender, into the wifi router, then back out to the extender, and back into the switch. Not the ideal way to set things up unless you have very good enterprise level gear.

And no you don't replace the "whole home network" You keep your home network setup for home network computing tasks. The "audio network" is part of the audio system. Just like speaker cables are part of the audio system, not part of the home wiring system.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I would like to make clear having read through this thread the idea Keith was making all this up and had been enjoying faultless play back through the superstreamer since he originally purchased it is clearly erroneous.

Clearly there has been a problem, possibly it's network related and not strictly the streamer though again if the device is that fussy about the network it operates on I myself would consider that a design flaw albeit not necessarily a fault per say.

Mivera

Major Contributor
I would like to make clear having read through this thread the idea Keith was making all this up and had been enjoying faultless play back through the superstreamer since he originally purchased it is clearly erroneous.

Clearly there has been a problem, possibly it's network related and not strictly the streamer though again if the device is that fussy about the network it operates on I myself would consider that a design flaw albeit not necessarily a fault per say.

It's obvious you're clueless about how networks work. If the data doesn't make it to the Superstream through the network, how do you expect it to play the music? It's not magic. If you have a broken interconnect connected to your CD player and it cuts out is it the fault of the cd player? I made it very clear to Keith before he bought it that the network needs setup properly.

Mivera

Major Contributor
The bottom line is follow the manufacturers setup recommended setup procedures and use the manufacturers recommended hardware and there will never be an issue. Do you put diesel fuel in your petrol car and blame the car manufacturer that it doesn't run?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
What do you plug the streamer into?? Streamers are network devices. They must be plugged into network gear. It's not special network gear. It's good quality network gear setup right. If you have poor network gear setup wrong, I don't care who's gear your using you will experience problems. This has absolutely nothing to do with the Ethernet devices in our gear. Roonserver operates exactly the same no matter which hardware it's setup on. But that being said we have sold dozens of these to folks with their own network gear, and Keith is the only one we have had trouble with. The way Keith has his gear setup, a very good router is needed. The NAS is plugged into the switch on the other end of an wifi extender. This data must pass back through the wifi extender, into the wifi router, then back out to the extender, and back into the switch. Not the ideal way to set things up unless you have very good enterprise level gear.

And no you don't replace the "whole home network" You keep your home network setup for home network computing tasks. The "audio network" is part of the audio system. Just like speaker cables are part of the audio system, not part of the home wiring system.
I don't know Mike, I don't have a streamer.. Why? Because of thing like this.

Keith computer works fine piping audio into his system, I guess he reasonably thought the streamer would be as simple.

Clearly it's not simple.

I do know a few folks with streamers and they just talk to their home network and .. Well work.

If I bought your streamer ( I would likely not because your out of country and shipping is a pain, it makes difficulties like this much harder to resolve ) I would buy everything from you that I needed not just the streamer.

I recommend using Skype to resolve issues like these, that way you can see and direct the fault finding as well as maintain the human connection that's useful in avoiding situations like these

Mivera

Major Contributor
There's simply is no issues when you use the recommended gear. It works like clockwork. No need for a degree in networking. We have pre-configured network gear packages for every situation. And when you combine the cost of the streamer and network gear, the cost is still much lower then any competing gear that includes nothing, yet will experience the same faults under the same conditions.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
There's simply is no issues when you use the recommended gear. It works like clockwork. No need for a degree in networking. We have pre-configured network gear packages for every situation. And when you combine the cost of the streamer and network gear, the cost is still much lower then any competing gear that includes nothing, yet will experience the same faults under the same conditions.
Yes you need the special recommended network gear, if you have pre existing network gear you may encounter a problem.

I highlighted that befor but you told me I had no clue about how networks work.. Which to be honest is fairly accurate, I'm a guy who would buy a streamer from the store and expect to be able to connect it to my home network via wifi or a cable and have it work without any issues..

Like I said , I love my CD player..

Mivera

Major Contributor
Yes you need the special recommended network gear, if you have pre existing network gear you may encounter a problem.

I highlighted that befor but to told me I had no clue about how networks work.. Which to be honest is fairly accurate, I'm a guy who would buy a streamer from the store and expect to be able to connect it to my home network via wifi or a cable and have it work without any issues..

So if the salesman at the store told you ,if you connect it up to the network that way, you will have issues, would you do it that way anyways? I made it very clear that the network gear needs to be setup properly before the transaction took place. The unit has no built in wifi. The wifi device comes in 1 of our bundles. If you don't know what you're doing, buy the preconfigured gear. We sell it for a reason.

And if he had issues from day 1, why wasn't it mentioned in the dozens of emails we exchanged in the 1st 4 months of ownership while he was spreading the news of it's flawless operation around the audio forums?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The router is a netgear dual channel gigabit unit that was absolutely top of the range two years ago, every other device here works flawlessly with it.
Why would every other device work and the Superstream not?
Mike you did actually send another card then, nothing has arrived so far, but I will try it if and when it arrives.

Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
So if the salesman at the store told you ,if you connect it up to the network that way, you will have issues, would you do it that way anyways? I made it very clear that the network gear needs to be setup properly before the transaction took place. The unit has no built in wifi. The wifi device comes in 1 of our bundles. If you don't know what you're doing, buy the preconfigured gear. We sell it for a reason.

And if he had issues from day 1, why wasn't it mentioned in the dozens of emails we exchanged in the 1st 4 months of ownership while he was spreading the news of it's flawless operation around the audio forums?
I believe Keith had been using it via wifi? And it worked but not wired and as a roon server..Might be wrong

You have highlighted the potential issue as network related but then denied the issue, bit confusing Mike . Either it works flawlessly or Keith's had a issue .

Logic dictates Keith has no vested interest in fabricating this unidentified issue that's lead to interrupted playback in his set up. As you say he's been promoting the product on your behalf for some time and I know he was wanting to recommend these devices.

Mivera

Major Contributor
The router is a netgear dual channel gigabit unit that was absolutely top of the range two years ago, every other device here works flawlessly with it.
Why would every other device work and the Superstream not?
Keith

I don't know. This is why we have troubleshooting steps. Like I told you if the issue can't be resolved with the troubleshooting steps, you can send it back to us and we can fix what's wrong and ship back. The unit has a 10 year warranty. I'm not sure what else you can expect from a manufacturer 5 months after purchase when you already claimed it works great. It was over 4 months after you bought it when I heard the first word about issues. And the first email you send was "what's your address. I'm sending this back for refund" You had no desire to even troubleshoot for a week or so. You demanded money back or nothing until I said we don't have a 120 day return policy, but we have a 10 year warranty. Right after that you filed the Paypal dispute.

Mivera

Major Contributor
I believe Keith had been using it via wifi? And it worked but not wired and as a roon server..Might be wrong

You have highlighted the potential issue as network related but then denied the issue, bit confusing Mike . Either it works flawlessly or Keith's had a issue .

Logic dictates Keith has no vested interest in fabricating this unidentified issue that's lead to interrupted playback in his set up. As you say he's been promoting the product on your behalf for some time and I know he was wanting to recommend these devices.

The mixed messages aren't from me. He claimed it works great in October on public forums, yet told Paypal it never worked properly. He bought the unit on June 24th.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The mixed messages aren't from me. He claimed it works great in October on public forums, yet told Paypal it never worked properly. He bought the unit on June 24th.

So your denying there has ever been a issue and claiming Keith has fabricated this whole affair to get a refund to boost his wine budget for Christmas??:D

Plausible :D

It's my understanding it's never worked as intended, if it had then the fault would unlikely be network configuration as one presumes is a constant and services the rest of his home devices without issue..

Mivera

Major Contributor
So your denying there has ever been a issue and claiming Keith has fabricated this whole affair to get a refund to boost his wine budget for Christmas??:D

Plausible :D

Well I'm not sure why he would keep the issue a secret from us, share on public forums that it works great for 4 months, yet it was a piece of crap riddled with issues the entire time. That's the story Paypal got.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well I'm not sure why he would keep the issue a secret from us, share on public forums that it works great for 4 months, yet it was a piece of crap riddled with issues the entire time.
I think Keith's been very kind, kept your name out of this. This thread had drawn no attention anyway. Really it's only you interjecting in the manor you did that's drawn attention to this and directly linked you to this issue.

He still seems to want the device to work, why not just take it back and refund it Mike? Regardless of fault you don't want unhappy customers let alone guys who are prominent in the industry.

You could of done that and both saved face, as it is now no ones looking great.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Keith lied to both Paypal by saying it never worked good, and this forum saying that I stopped answering emails. I don't find that very kind. And everyone who reads this forum knew very well which streamer he was referring to. I wouldn't have interjected the way I did had he not been spreading lies about me. And the Paypal claim locked my account for over a month and pissed me off. Nobody refunds audio gear after 5 months. They might fix or exchange if there's defects, but not give full refunds.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Keith lied to both Paypal by saying it never worked good, and this forum saying that I stopped answering emails. I don't find that very kind. And everyone who reads this forum knew very well which streamer he was referring to. I wouldn't have interjected the way I did had he not been spreading lies about me. And the Paypal claim locked my account for over a month and pissed me off. Nobody refunds audio gear after 5 months. They might fix or exchange if there's defects, but not give full refunds.
If it's mint condition you could of taken it back and sold it as open box etc... Saved all this unpleasantness.

As you say you have sold plenty without issue so why allow this ? It would of been in your best intrest Mike.

This thread really looks bad, that's with me editing stuff out that would of made you look even worse. For the sake of a few hundred dollars you could of had the unit back and resold it..

U.K. Audio is a small world , Keith has not been slagging you off all around the Internet. It's only really me that made a link that Keith's server was one of yours.. It was done in jest and Keith made no comment on it.

Mivera

Major Contributor
If it's mint condition you could of taken it back and sold it as open box etc... Saved all this unpleasantness.

As you say you have sold plenty without issue so why allow this ? It would of been in your best intrest Mike.

This thread really looks bad, that's with me editing stuff out that would of made you look even worse. For the sake of a few hundred dollars you could of had the unit back and resold it..

I think anyone would be pissed off if they read this BS. And went through this Paypal dispute. We aren't running a free rental agency. Keep for 5 months then return for full refund. Folks who desire to do that should shop at Costco for audio gear, not Mivera Audio.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I think anyone would be pissed off if they read this BS. And went through this Paypal dispute. We aren't running a free rental agency. Keep for 5 months then return for full refund. Folks who desire to do that should shop at Costco for audio gear, not Mivera Audio.
You know best:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom