• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!
Hi all! I’m thinking about adding room correction to my setup and am wondering what’s the best way to go about it? My searches have led me to a number of things that seem like they might be out of date so I figured I would just ask.

I currently have a NAS and a Logitech Music Server installation. Hooked up to my amp (CXA80) via optical is a raspberry pi 3B with a 7” screen and a HifiBerry Digi hat of some sort. The pi runs picoreplayer and I’ve got to say that it all works pretty well. (My only complaint is that it won’t play my 20-bit flacs.)

I’ve seen that it might be possible to add room correction with a DSP module for the Digi hat. Is that any good? There are also some software room correction projects (Camilla DSP?) though none seem to be on picoreplayer. I’ve also seen some project that involves piping your stream to another application before it hits the LMS player (inguz?).

Have I missed any? Is anyone happy with any of the above? I’d love to hear your thoughts!

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi all! I’m thinking about adding room correction to my setup and am wondering what’s the best way to go about it? My searches have led me to a number of things that seem like they might be out of date so I figured I would just ask.

I currently have a NAS and a Logitech Music Server installation. Hooked up to my amp (CXA80) via optical is a raspberry pi 3B with a 7” screen and a HifiBerry Digi hat of some sort. The pi runs picoreplayer and I’ve got to say that it all works pretty well. (My only complaint is that it won’t play my 20-bit flacs.)

I’ve seen that it might be possible to add room correction with a DSP module for the Digi hat. Is that any good? There are also some software room correction projects (Camilla DSP?) though none seem to be on picoreplayer. I’ve also seen some project that involves piping your stream to another application before it hits the LMS player (inguz?).

Have I missed any? Is anyone happy with any of the above? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
You can follow the tutorial below and stream from your LMS to the squeezelite that is included in the tutorial:

You can skip the remote control and display parts if you wish and in a couple of hours you are good to go.
To actually do the room correction you will need additional hardware.

BillG

Major Contributor
I’ve also seen some project that involves piping your stream to another application before it hits the LMS player (inguz?).

The InguzEQ plug-in for LMS while still operational is being superceded by SqueezeDSP. Though still in the development, the latter is stable, and suitable to use for Room Correction EQ on stereo systems on a daily basis.

As a matter of fact, I've been running it for several months now for just that purpose:

Screenshot_2023-08-31-17-09-58-807_com.craigd.lmsmaterial.app~2.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-31-17-10-26-581_com.craigd.lmsmaterial.app~2.jpg

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
https://github.com/Lykkedk/SuperPlayer-v8.0.0---SamplerateChanger-v1.0.0 - also for piCorePlayer.

On the HifiBerry side the DSP addon board needs a matching connector on the other board. Depending on which Digi model you have this may or may not be present. Check the HifiBerryOS docs to see what it provides - I'm out of date on that, but it's the easiest way to get started with their DSP. Beyond that they have some decent tools in github but you won't get a lot of hand holding on how to use them. You may end up using SigmaDSP too. Depending on skills and inclination that could make it an interesting project or a nonstarter.

Jack Harrison

Moode has a full camilladsp implementation built in for the RPi. It also has a PEQ which allows you to dip your toe In the field of room correction and see if it’s for you. The equalisation works on everything you send through the RPi.
In my opinion Moode is top of the tree when it comes to turning an RPi into a streamer, being extremely capable and also free.
Also, if you have a decent usb dac I would use that nowadays rather than a hat. I have an Allo Boss hat dac but using a usb dac I have a remote to adjust volume and switch between my other digital sources on coax and spdif. Keep it simple I think.
Every other option seems really complicated to me when this one does all I personally want.

Last edited:
OP
HonorableExpense
Moode has a full camilladsp implementation built in for the RPi. It also has a PEQ which allows you to dip your toe In the field of room correction and see if it’s for you. The equalisation works on everything you send through the RPi.
In my opinion Moode is top of the tree when it comes to turning an RPi into a streamer, being extremely capable and also free.
Also, if you have a decent usb dac I would use that nowadays rather than a hat. I have an Allo Boss hat dac but using a usb dac I have a remote to adjust volume and switch between my other digital sources on coax and spdif. Keep it simple I think.
Every other option seems really complicated to me when this one does all I personally want.
Cool, I wasn't impressed with Moode when I tried it, but that was years ago. I'll have to give it another shot.

My CXA80 does have a USB in, but I found using it annoying since the Pi would "lose" it when it was powered off. No such problems with optical out.

Jack Harrison

Cool, I wasn't impressed with Moode when I tried it, but that was years ago. I'll have to give it another shot.

My CXA80 does have a USB in, but I found using it annoying since the Pi would "lose" it when it was powered off. No such problems with optical out.
The look hasn’t changed a lot. Which I like finding it pleasant and functional. But there is the added capability since you tried it probably. It has Airplay 2 as well as Spotify Connect renderers.

OP
HonorableExpense
The look hasn’t changed a lot. Which I like finding it pleasant and functional. But there is the added capability since you tried it probably. It has Airplay 2 as well as Spotify Connect renderers.
I can't remember what I found objectionable :) I did try the airplay, on multiple distros, but gave up on it and bought a Belkin SoundForm Connect which seems to work fine more of the time.

Nutul

I also use moOde and have an external DAC too, a Z8 from Eversolo, which I put to stand-by every evening. When I wake it up moOde still finds it there. Maybe this was an issue on older versions of moOde...
Anyway, in case you reboot moOde with the DAC off (mpd won't detect it, obviously...), switch the DAC on, then either reboot the Pi, or even easier, go to SETTINGS -> AUDIO and restart mpd (it will detect the DAC now)
But I am pretty sure you can nowadays switch the DAC off and back on, and moOde won't complain about it not being there...

P.S.
with CamillaDSP / parametric EQ it also offers a powerful DSP / room correction suite; and it's fairly easy to use predefined convolution filters (I use one to correct the frequency response of my active speakers)

Barrelhouse Solly

I've used Moode since v 2.x. I've always liked the variety of tweaks you can apply. My only disappointment is the lack of DLNA/UPNP support since vanilla MPD does it with a plugin. The advantage to software like Moode is that it's a great front end for MPD. You can skip the command line almost completely. I've never tried the streaming services because I'm ancient enough to have more music files than I can listen to in a reasonable time. To me the streaming services are like radio. I have bought downloadable albums from Qobuz. They have some great inexpensive FLAC albums.

Nutul

I've used Moode since v 2.x. I've always liked the variety of tweaks you can apply. My only disappointment is the lack of DLNA/UPNP support since vanilla MPD does it with a plugin. The advantage to software like Moode is that it's a great front end for MPD. You can skip the command line almost completely. I've never tried the streaming services because I'm ancient enough to have more music files than I can listen to in a reasonable time. To me the streaming services are like radio. I have bought downloadable albums from Qobuz. They have some great inexpensive FLAC albums.

As of now, DLNA and UPnP work flawlessly in moOde 8.3.6...

OP
HonorableExpense
I tried Moode and wasn't impressed. I seemed to keep running into weird glitches. I don't have a huge library but the UI was also very slow. The Logitech Media Server/piCorePlayer combo seems to work much better. With the material ui, it looks way better. Too bad it seems like getting camilla dsp working seems like more work.

Nutul

I tried Moode and wasn't impressed. I seemed to keep running into weird glitches. I don't have a huge library but the UI was also very slow. The Logitech Media Server/piCorePlayer combo seems to work much better. With the material ui, it looks way better. Too bad it seems like getting camilla dsp working seems like more work.

What Pi are you running moOde on?
Camilla DSP is already integrated in moOde.
You may like the UI or not; this does not make the product inferior, capabilities speaking. It does AirPlay1/2, Spotify Connect, multiroom, http streaming, dlna, upnp, squeezebox, it is a roon endpoint...
ah... it doesn't cost you a penny, apart from the Pi, of course.

Nutul

Hooked up to my amp (CXA80) via optical is a raspberry pi 3B with...

Ops, just didn't pay enough attention to the whole thread... well, it may result a bit "slow" with the local 7'' display, probably controlling it from your browser is more responsive.
I know of people running it successfully on a Pi2, and even on some Zero's...

Top Bottom