• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 340 65.9%

• Total voters

Spyerx

For those of you using Apple Music don’t install 4.7beta. Looks like Apple is not allowing use on rooted android devices.
I’m sure a work around will be found.

I'm not an Android user so I'm not too familiar with the guts of the platform, but there is lots of chatter on this on many Android sites/blogs. For now, 4.6 works fine, which I reinstalled.

There does seem to be a way to trick AM to thinking the device is not rooted, but unsure/clear if the Eversolo will support that. Hopefully a firmware update will apply the appropriate patches.

BrooklynNick

No I had the most expensive tier in Tidal previously and had downgraded it to the regular Hifi tier which is close to Qobuz's price.

Yeah but Tidal no longer has tiers and is now priced about the same as the basic Qobuz tier while providing resolution equivalent to the more expensive Qobuz tier.

Saman Edirisinghe

We are integrating some new music streaming services, but I can't talk about it until certification is complete. There will also be some stability improvements and fixes. I believe there will be a new version within a month. Another major change is that We are developing a new digital volume algorithm, so will say goodbye to the 15-step digital volume that many people complain about(for USB or S/PDIF digital output).
An even better news is that we expanded Eversolo R&D team by more than 50% this year. I believe this will lead to more positive results
While developing all the new features, hope the R&D teams will concentrate on getting back to the original sound character the Eversolo DMP-A8 had with FW 1.2.60. ( I have pointed this issue out in Zidoo Eversolo DMP-A8 forum in details.
I lost the much preferred original sound quality after installing the recommended updates 1.2.74 Beta and 1.2.80.
Sincerely hope that positive changes would be done to get back to the original sq at least with this forthcoming update.

Or make options available to rollback to earlier FW (to 1.2.60 in this case) for the people who want to get back. And I know there are many who share my view. Thank you.

Spyerx

While developing all the new features, hope the R&D teams will concentrate on getting back to the original sound character the Eversolo DMP-A8 had with FW 1.2.60. ( I have pointed this issue out in Zidoo Eversolo DMP-A8 forum in details.
I lost the much preferred original sound quality after installing the recommended updates 1.2.74 Beta and 1.2.80.
Sincerely hope that positive changes would be done to get back to the original sq at least with this forthcoming update.

Or make options available to rollback to earlier FW (to 1.2.60 in this case) for the people who want to get back. And I know there are many who share my view. Thank you.

I haven’t noticed any difference in sound between firmware.

Saman Edirisinghe

I haven’t noticed any difference in sound between firmware.
I know this is an A6 forum, but I am particularly referring to my DMP-A8.
I immediately felt the difference in the sound after I updated to 1.2.74 beta. Here I am referring to the the original sound signature the A8 had before the update. The 1.2.60 sound character changed after introduction of feature like replay gain display, parametric equalizer and even analog output volume pass-through. I do not use any of these functions, my A8 is connected direct to my Yamaha integrated via RCA and listen always to pure direct sound.

Spyerx

I know this is an A6 forum, but I am particularly referring to my DMP-A8.
I immediately felt the difference in the sound after I updated to 1.2.74 beta. Here I am referring to the the original sound signature the A8 had before the update. The 1.2.60 sound character changed after introduction of feature like replay gain display, parametric equalizer and even analog output volume pass-through. I do not use any of these functions, my A8 is connected direct to my Yamaha integrated via RCA and listen always to pure direct sound.

I have an a6 and an a8. A8 is on my bigger system (luxman 509x amp with Harbeth 30.2xd speakers) and it sounds the same to my ears . Which is great. At least to my ears. I use xlr with volume pass through and on the luxman i usually use the direct mode.

Saman Edirisinghe

I have an a6 and an a8. A8 is on my bigger system (luxman 509x amp with Harbeth 30.2xd speakers) and it sounds the same to my ears . Which is great. At least to my ears. I use xlr with volume pass through and on the luxman i usually use the direct mode.
Thank you Spyerx for your input, I hope you had an opportunity to listen to your A8 while it was on FW 1.2.60 on your impressive system. I too had the ES A6 ME, for 5 months and gave it up to make room for the A8. I listened to the A8 at my local dealer and at once liked the sound signature, brought it home with 1.2.50 factory installed, and later updated to 1.2.60 at the time of setting it up. I truly liked what I heard with 1.2.60.
In my setup, things changed dramatically after I updated to 1.2.74 Beta after couple of months. After informing Eversolo regarding the issue, they wanted me to wait till 1.2.80 is released. But unfortunately it too has not helped me much. I have read many similar complaints on facebook Eversolo user groups, after they updated from 1.2.60.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
To make a valid comparison you need two A-8 units one on the current firmware and one on the former, comparisons must be unsighted.
It is imho extremely unlikely a change of firmware will affect sound quality, I haven’t noticed any differences with my A-8 here.
Keith

Strumbringer

I'd like to get some input on my current set up to see if you all think I'd benefit from the A6.

I currently have all my CD's (several hundred) saved on my MacBook Pro as ALAC files, which are played with the Apple Music app. I have a handful of high-res audio albums (FLAC) that are played on the Colibri app. Lastly, I stream Spotify. I connect the laptop to my RME ADI-2 DAC FS and into headphone amp.

I *think* if I got the A6, I could relieve my laptop of music duties and transfer/store my music files and stream Spotify from the A6. I'd still use my RME ADI-2 DAC, as I love it and use the PEQ settings for various headphones.

Would the A6 provide any benefit to my listening experience or am I wise just to continue with my music files and Spotify from my laptop? Curious if there's anything the A6 would bring to the table for what I've described?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'd like to get some input on my current set up to see if you all think I'd benefit from the A6.

I currently have all my CD's (several hundred) saved on my MacBook Pro as ALAC files, which are played with the Apple Music app. I have a handful of high-res audio albums (FLAC) that are played on the Colibri app. Lastly, I stream Spotify. I connect the laptop to my RME ADI-2 DAC FS and into headphone amp.

I *think* if I got the A6, I could relieve my laptop of music duties and transfer/store my music files and stream Spotify from the A6. I'd still use my RME ADI-2 DAC, as I love it and use the PEQ settings for various headphones.

Would the A6 provide any benefit to my listening experience or am I wise just to continue with my music files and Spotify from my laptop? Curious if there's anything the A6 would bring to the table for what I've described?
The A6 would not increase sound quality.

Whether the ability to play music without your macbook is worth $850, is up to you.

Saman Edirisinghe

To make a valid comparison you need two A-8 units one on the current firmware and one on the former, comparisons must be unsighted.
It is imho extremely unlikely a change of firmware will affect sound quality, I haven’t noticed any differences with my A-8 here.
Keith
Agreed with your comments.
Yet..., I listened to my A8 with FW 1.2.60 for little over 6 weeks, and my ears got pretty used to the sound character, which I really liked. This sound is the reason for me to go with A8 and I gave up my A6ME, for it. My idea was to use it as an all in one Streamer, DAC and Preamp solution and to be powered with a power amp. As soon as I updated to 1.2.74 Beta, I felt the difference. Maybe this difference is not measurable as you have suggested.
The wide sound stage became more narrower, the instruments I heard in different areas of that sound stage became more concentrated towards the middle and became mixed up with the vocals. (tested many times by playing my favourite tracks over and over again. The beautiful midrange, had earlier, lacked the luster and the sound leaned towards the bright side. (The sound was almost 3D earlier as if you would listen to a live artist playing right in front of you, but not anymore)
This is what I experienced after the update to 1.2.74 and then 1.2.80. Thank you.

Last edited:

octavius

Only two streamers with different firmware in the blind test can tell you true...

marden72

Hi all...new here and still learning! Just after some recommendations if possible please. I currently have a Moon 240i IA powering Dynaudio SP40's. I have a NAD M10 Streaming Amp connected to the Moon with RCA's which I am using as a streamer only (i.e. M10 amp functionality is redundant). Would i be better off selling M10 and buying something like a Eversolo A6 instead? would there be any benefit? Thanks

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Purely in terms of sound quality almost certainly not, unless there is some added functionality that the Eversolo offers?
Keith

marden72

Purely in terms of sound quality almost certainly not, unless there is some added functionality that the Eversolo offers?
Keith
Thanks Keith. I guess I feel that because the M10 is not being used as an amp then something like the eversolo would be better for what I need it for? How does the DAC compare in each and also vs the DAC in the Moon 240i?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am not familiar with Moon’s dac implementation but if you believe in the science/measurement which I do then there is unlikely to be an audible difference unless Moon have really screwed up.
Keith

yllanos

I have not owned an Android device in almost a decade. I've never owned an AndroidTV/GoogleTV box.

Can we sideload Eversolo's Control app on a GoogleTV box? So I can play content and watch album/song art on a big TV

Top Bottom