• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Audio Corner gets a Klippel NFS!

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Done! I fired up the software and gave it some spins. Test runs proved successful. More updates this weekend. :)

1F3FC422-3A92-4175-9D62-21C105E69096.jpeg

1789C5FF-B668-48BF-918A-D409C964B2B0.jpeg

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is this the best present you’ve ever bought yourself :eek:

cursive

Forum Donor
From the pics I didn't realize that whole arm assembly was suspended by cables, I didn't know that whole part rotated around the pedestal!

Is there a limit to the height of tower speakers that you can measure? Or is it just limited by your ceiling?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
It all gets real, once the Evil Overlord laughs!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Woofers aside, I have a simple answer for those asking if the garage is too small:
Klippel NFS's Field Separation unit is an addon software feature that uses two layers (distance) of measurements and then by calculations detects and eliminates the effect of boundary reflections from the direct sound. Without FSU reliable results come only from 1kHz up. The software gives analysis of measurement quality as we have seen in some posts of Amir.
Klippel doesn't document some of the finer nuances of what you need to get optimal results. In this case, there was actually a bug in field separation for some speakers generating erroneous results if you asked the system to perform the separation to too high a frequency (shorter distance). Before I could report the bug, they found it and now enforce a longer distance. In this example I have set the limit to 4 meters. Notice how it is complaining that it should be longer with its own limit line and red squiggle:

Near Field SPL Response.png

In this case the error is next to nothing so it is fine.

Note that this is NOT the distance from speaker to wall. It is the path length of shortest reflection from the speaker, to the wall, and back to the microphone.

Anyway, the negative reaction to my previous post by Erin tells me he wants to figure these things out by himself so I am not going to comment further.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Anyway, the negative reaction to my previous post by Erin tells me he wants to figure these things out by himself so I am not going to comment further.

I didn’t think it was negative. Someone quoted you and asked if you had to have 5m distance between the DUT and the wall because that’s how they took your reply. So I was clarifying that is not the case. :)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's pretty amazing to me how well this technology works.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I ran my first test yesterday on a yet to be named speaker. I chose a simple 500 point test to make sure everything looked good. Took about an hour. Yep. All is good. Called it a day.

This morning I started up the 2000 point test to reduce the error >10Khz. It is about 30 degrees outside. My car doors were frozen shut when I went to run an errand. It's coooooold. Before I left I turned on the 240v heater in the garage and it quickly warmed up to 72°F at the DUT location. Since the garage is insulated it maintains the temp quite well. (It is still at 70° two hours later.) I am currently running the test and it is about halfway through. But now... I am inside, doing chores while the NFS is churning away, producing results. Every once in a while I check up on the laptop running the test via VNC from my desktop in my office (as you can see below).

To those of you who have never spent days' worth of time measuring a loudspeaker you may not understand just how great this is. But, if you have then you know just how much testing speakers drains your time and your literal physical energy (not to mention the mental stress that comes from trying to balance it all with weather, family, and work life). The NFS is gonna make my life so much easier. Not to say it doesn't take time to set things up but not having to be physically outside running from the DUT to the computer 100-something times (for a literal total distance of 2 miles; I measured) is ... liberating. That really is the best word I can think to describe this feeling.

1613237611684.png

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Does Klippel have a temp/humidity sensor built in too so that is logged?

Not that I am aware. But I have a temp probe I keep in the garage when testing; same as I did before I had the NFS.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that I am aware. But I have a temp probe I keep in the garage when testing; same as I did before I had the NFS.
Yeah I just wondered if it the system has a couple of analog inputs or even a TC input so you can capture that data and even log it. Just me being me since I do that often with my DAQ. ;)

Top Bottom