• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Audio Corner gets a Klippel NFS!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is so cool. I am really glad both of you have such an amazing machine and measuring stuff publicly. NFS rules!

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Yeah I just wondered if it the system has a couple of analog inputs or even a TC input so you can capture that data and even log it. Just me being me since I do that often with my DAQ. ;)

If it does, I am not aware of it. I could probably create a script that runs parallel to plot the temp over time but in an insulated garage I can tell you from years of working in there that the temp holds quite well until your wife or kid opens the bay door. I feel like my dad... always saying "don't open the garage door!!!!!". I even tell my wife to wait until she is ready to back out of the garage until she opens the door. But, nope. She opens the door and then sits there for a minute or two before starting the car and pulling out of the garage. Every. Damn. Time. LOL

Anyway, back on topic... the temp holds quite well in my garage. Once I bought the big 240v 30amp heater it made it even better because it heats up that space pretty quickly and stays warm for a while. Right now it is holding at 67°F. The CTA-2034 calls for the temp to be ~72°F ±9°F. As long as I am within that, I am fine.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
@hardisj can you hear the NFS doing its thing in the garage from inside the house?

Not really. Definitely can't hear it spinning around. But you can hear the sweeps sometimes. This would really depend on the DUT's sensitivity.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Is this a 2.5 hr test?

I started at 9:45 Central. It is 12:07 Central now. The test is about 56% complete now. So... ballpark around 4.5 hours to complete this number of measurement points. If this speaker were horizontally symmetrical I could cut that time in half but it has a port to the freaking side of the rear baffle instead of in the center. :rolleyes: :p

1613239669370.png

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really. Definitely can't hear it spinning around. But you can hear the sweeps sometimes. This would really depend on the DUT's sensitivity.
Gotcha. So feasible to do it while sleeping?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I started at 9:45 Central. It is 12:07 Central now. The test is about 56% complete now. So... ballpark around 4.5 hours to complete this number of measurement points. If this speaker were horizontally symmetrical I could cut that time in half but it has a port to the freaking side of the rear baffle instead of in the center. :rolleyes: :p
Just imagine if you were doing this manually. lolol oh wait...

Does your NFS have a name yet?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Just imagine if you were doing this manually. lolol oh wait...

Does your NFS have a name yet?

I have called her a few things but none of them were nice. At least, not at first. LOL

I have a few names to choose from. Haven't decided on one yet.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Gotcha. So feasible to do it while sleeping?

Yup!

I would still do a small, maybe 200-point check, just to make sure everything is OK. But that's about 30 minutes sanity check. Then kick it off and view the results the next morning.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have called her a few things but none of them were nice. At least, not at first. LOL

haha that's funny. We look forward to the official naming ceremony.

Your wife should be happy you got the NFS...now you have more time to clean the house. :p

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
haha that's funny. We look forward to the official naming ceremony.

Your wife should be happy you got the NFS...now you have more time to clean the house. :p

That's what I was doing when I started testing. Then I jumped on here to do some other things. :)

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

May I be the first one to suggest NaFiSa?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I was doing when I started testing. Then I jumped on here to do some other things. :)

Last time I did that to my girlfriend she commented from the next room that she didn't notice a difference

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But, if you have then you know just how much testing speakers drains your time and your literal physical energy (not to mention the mental stress that comes from trying to balance it all with weather, family, and work life). The NFS is gonna make my life so much easier.

I don’t like you any more

:)

ac3dtsthx

Thank you for what you are doing. Your testing and insight are invaluable to steering seasoned as well as new audiophiles to the TRUTH about the quality of speakers. Only a few people are brave enough to tell what it is without any BS!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it has a port to the freaking side of the rear baffle instead of in the center. :rolleyes: :p
That was easy: KEF LS50, probably the Meta as it is the new one everyone is interested in.

images (3).jpeg

Top Bottom