• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva RMC-1 AV Processor Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is the image from Emotiva with the new firmware fix.
Thanks. So do we know what they say they have fixed? Was the spurious tones at low frequencies? I still don't know what is going on and what to confirm.

SOWK

amirm

You don't need the firmware. (but if you want the latest BETA you will have to ask Emotiva for it.)

Put the unit into Reference Stereo, Turn it off, Switch off the power via the back toggle for 1 min. Turn back on click info to make sure it is still in Reference Stereo, and test.

DO NOT CHANGE MODES: If you swap between modes Direct, Auto, Dolby, Reference Stereo you will need to repeat the steps I just posted.

If you change modes it will get stuck in some weird up mixing mode it is not supposed to be in.

So if you go from Stereo, Direct, Reference Stereo you will for now need to power cycle the unit between each mode swap.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a FYI Emotiva has said they are going to give you the option to select a filter in a future firmware update... From Dan "We plan on offering selectable output filters as an option on a future firmware update. Remember though, this stuff is down in the weeds and very subtle audibly. But hey, once we add this feature, you can play to your hearts content! "

Yes, and that is great. But we will see if it makes into the list since I expect this is a low priority.
It does provide a possible reason why the RMC-1 DAC sound different than the Oppo 205 when I level matched then and streamed to both from Roon.

- Rich

thxultra

Thanks. So do we know what they say they have fixed? Was the spurious tones at low frequencies? I still don't know what is going on and what to confirm.
This is the full post from Dan at Emotiva. From what I can tell the SINAD result went from 92.xdb to 94.xdb and the THD+N Ratio is lower. Graphs don't seem to have all the low frequency tones either...
OK, we've been digging into this in order to see what was going on with the test anomalies shown on the ASR testing. Something was definitely going on and it had nothing to do with the circuit design or baseline performance of the RMC-1 and its offspring. This data shown below is via HDMI at 24/192k, two channels. The signal levels match the ones used by ASR. That is, 0dB - 4 volts RMS, nominal.

Here is how we actually perform: Picture I posted earlier...

So, what happened??

Ray dug into the test results and was finally able to duplicate the issue. It has nothing to do with the circuit design and everything to do with an incorrectly set register in the DSP. Once we cleared the error, this is the result. Please note that this had no effect on multichannel playback. We've added an additional two channel test procedure in the AP test during production to ensure that this will not sneak in again.

Hopefully in the future, the collective 'we" can take a moment to fully understand what is happening before rushing to conclusions. In know it's not nearly as exciting as "catching" someone, but it's not very constructive. We respect and appreciate the service performed by ASR, but disagree with their approach. We believe that a more constructive path would be to contact the manufacturer when a gross error is discovered in order to allow a proper analysis and response. Sending an unsolicited email to us at 9:00 pm on Friday night and then saying you "gave us a chance to respond" is not cool. We have never had any prior contact or communication with ASR and Lonnie receives hundreds of emails a day. By the time he saw this, it was live.

However, having said all of this, we appreciate the feedback and apologize for the error. We will have a firmware update (V1.9) that will correct this issue ASAP. We expect to realease beta code today.

Thanks,

thxultra

Yes, and that is great. But we will see if it makes into the list since I expect this is a low priority.
It does provide a possible reason why the RMC-1 DAC sound different than the Oppo 205 when I level matched then and streamed to both from Roon.

- Rich
Ya I wouldn't expect this anytime soon, they have already said all hands on deck for DIRAC (which I do agree is a priority).

thxultra

Can someone post there and ask for the "before" measurement in the same config?
They claim they got the same results you did. Honestly I think you getting the 1.9 firmware and running the test is the best way to see if they fixed the problem because you can run the test the same way you did last time.

SOWK

They claim they got the same results you did. Honestly I think you getting the 1.9 firmware and running the test is the best way to see if they fixed the problem because you can run the test the same way you did last time.

Or just follow post #79 (MOST Epic Post of all time might I add... Gives everyone a good laugh)

or #522... :cool:

Kishore

Forum Donor
Hope this is a teachable moment- a bit of restraint/not jumping to trigger happy conclusions will lead to better resolutions :cool:

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmmm. Putting aside their arguments, I am testing the unit in Stereo. Specifically in Reference Stereo (or Direct). This mode is supposed to disable all effects and processing. Why isn't this pipeline straight through?
I am sure that you are not expecting me to answer your question. Even Emotiva is still in the dark with what is enabled and what's not, that's what I understand from reading their response.

It looks like you are helping them with debugging the RMC, owners (and Emotiva) should be thankful. Why don't you speak to them directly? it's for everyones benefit.

Keep up the good work, keep the tone down ;)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Can anyone explain me why they would release it when Dirac wasn't ready?

SmackDaddies

Hope this is a teachable moment- a bit of restraint/not jumping to trigger happy conclusions will lead to better resolutions :cool:
Jump to conclusions? Amir tested equipment that is for sale to the general public. It failed. Amir published ACCURATE information. That is not "jumping to conclusions". That is simply reporting facts..

thxultra

Jump to conclusions? Amir tested equipment that is for sale to the general public. It failed. Amir published ACCURATE information. That is not "jumping to conclusions". That is simply reporting facts..
Yes and no saying there was a hardware design issue for something it appears Emotiva fixed with firmware is jumping to conclusions. That being said I'm glad Amirm brought this issue out so it was resolved.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There was no "jumping to conclusions" -- a shipping component was measured and fared poorly. A bug was found and a fix is in the works. We'll see what happens. I really hate the level of vitriol on both sites and am very ashamed of any part I may have had in it, but overall I see this as a win for all. Amir found a problem, Emotiva confirmed it, and is working on a fix.

I am surprised there was a FW fix; makes me wonder if a gain bit was set wrongly somewhere, but it could have been something in the clock circuit (a lot of PLLs are fairly programmable) or whatever. I'd love to know exactly what bit was touched just out of curiosity...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
amirm

You don't need the firmware. (but if you want the latest BETA you will have to ask Emotiva for it.)

Put the unit into Reference Stereo, Turn it off, Switch off the power via the back toggle for 1 min. Turn back on click info to make sure it is still in Reference Stereo, and test.

DO NOT CHANGE MODES: If you swap between modes Direct, Auto, Dolby, Reference Stereo you will need to repeat the steps I just posted.

If you change modes it will get stuck in some weird up mixing mode it is not supposed to be in.

So if you go from Stereo, Direct, Reference Stereo you will for now need to power cycle the unit between each mode swap.

That should be an SNL skit...

Koeitje

Major Contributor
They just produced a product that didn't got through QC before being released to the market, I'm not surprised this is happening in this day and age.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes and no saying there was a hardware design issue for something it appears Emotiva fixed with firmware is jumping to conclusions.
Again, we still don't know what problem they have fixed. I identified a number of them. Not a single issue.

Top Bottom