• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for Denon AVP-A1HD replacement please!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At least I provided at bunch of links as documentation for my statements. What do you have, except an unsubstantiated claim?
I can just use the one you linked, that talked about the reasons why those guys heard the difference, one reason being "clipping". I did not make an unsubstantiated claim, I used a specific example, using the RX-A1080, that Amir measured, as you said "The unit though was at the verge of shutting down despite me leaving speaker terminals disconnected. If I just dialed up the volume 0.5 to 1 dB, it would shut down. So for the rest of the measurements I went with 0 dB volume level."

So if you pair that thing with the AHB2 set to low gain, the Yamaha will clip at even moderately loud level. When amps (that include preamps) clips, if bad enough, you will hear them, that's a well recognized fact, far from being "unsubstantiated".

I picked the AHB2, because of it's low gain, at the lowest gain setting, specs say:

Input Sensitivity​

• Low-Gain = 22 dBu (9.8 Vrms), Gain = 9.2 dB

To say all "Amplifiers all sound the same.", is as problematic as to say "all amplifiers do not sound the same". None of the links you posted support "Amplifiers all sound the same". For such as statement to have credibility, it has to be qualified, such as by specifying the conditions of use, whether the amps will be driven close to or even beyond their clipping point, and/or whether the amps will be paired with speakers known to have severe impedance dips and large phase angles. I pick an extreme example, pitting the AVP-A1HDCI with the lowly Yamaha AVR (use as preamp) to make a point, if you even have issue with that, fine just agree to disagree, or disagree to agree, no problem with me.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So no documentation for your claims?

What documentation? You want me to show you my calculations, I posted the AHB2's gain, input sensitivity, and the output capability of the RX-A1080. As an EE, I know when you pair that AVR with the AHB2 power amp I used as example, it will clip easily and the effects will be audible. Even the Denon will clip too if you push it hard but the Yamaha will clip a lot sooner, so people can hear a difference. Anyway, as I said, it is okay to disagree!! By the way, if you want to see documentation on the audible effects of clipping, you can just Google it, I won't spend time on it just to win an argument, I don't need to win an argument.

Top Bottom