• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva RMC-1 AV Processor Review

Krobar

My Arcam AV40 is at the service center getting the HDMI 2.1 upgrade. IMO it’s nice that Arcam began offering the upgrade to AV40 owners before shipping the AV41 and that all 7 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs are HDMI 2.1. It’s my understanding that AV41 is now in stock at some dealers and available to buy. I also own a Denon 3700, the one they had to ship an outboard box to fix.

I should be getting my AV40 upgraded in around 2 weeks time too.

atomsite

Emotiva also sells the XMC2. The RMC1 doesn’t give you a whole lot more for the extra $2k. But until they release DLBC and provide a timetable for HDMI 2.1, I can’t recommend these processors.

You‘re paying for the expansion capability, and the better DACs on all 16 output channels. (Rather than just the 3 front channels.)

Lsc

You‘re paying for the expansion capability, and the better DACs on all 16 output channels. (Rather than just the 3 front channels.)
Yes, and a few other things. Emotiva’s tiering of the RMC1, RMC1L & XMC2 is interesting. My point was if you find the RMC1 a bit expensive, then there are less expensive options by Emotiva.

RMC1L sounds exactly the same as the RMC1 but lacks the expansion capability.

XMC2 sounds exactly the same for 2 channel as the RMC1/RMC1L (confirmed it with Emotiva) and for multi-channel, it’s almost as good. Most people couldn’t tell the difference.

GNK

I found out that the SINAD of RMC-1 in this posting is 92(color orange), but in the minidsp Flex's review, its SINAD is corrected to 100(color green).
Was there any re-measurement of this device after this posting? I can't think of any other reason why it is so.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found out that the SINAD of RMC-1 in this posting is 92(color orange), but in the minidsp Flex's review, its SINAD is corrected to 100(color green).
Was there any re-measurement of this device after this posting? I can't think of any other reason why it is so.
There was a firmware error found after the initial review that was corrected by Emotiva where processing was improperly engaged for pure direct.
After the fix, it was remeasured with better results.

- Rich

Last edited:

GNK

There was a firmware error found after the initial review that was corrected by Emotiva where processing was improperly engaged for pure direct.
After the fix it was remeasured with better results.

- Rich

Thanks!

Robh3606

It's been a year since I had software issues with the XMC-2. Since I sent it back and they replaced the HDMI board I have had no switching issues. That seems to have cured the issues I was having.

Rob :)

NicS

My woes with the RMC1-L have been painful and numerous. I am waiting on the new v3.0 firmware and possibly the upgrading of a few boards, namely the HDMI board that seems to be the root of all the handshake issues that have plagued this piece of equipment.

Post v3.0 update, I'd be curious to see if a re-test of this unit would reveal any performance improvements. Specifically I'l like to see if the Reference Stereo Mode running from the balanced input performed as well as they say it does. My suspicion is that is does not. I'd also like to find out if the digital input via USB performs well in tests. It sounds OK but I'm not loving it. A direct connection from my Reavon X200 to my ATC 100's sounds much cleaner and punchier. Yes. A highly subjective assessment based on absolutely nothing other than ears in the presence of an IPA.

Robh3606

My woes with the RMC1-L have been painful and numerous. I am waiting on the new v3.0 firmware and possibly the upgrading of a few boards, namely the HDMI board that seems to be the root of all the handshake issues that have plagued this piece of equipment.

Post v3.0 update, I'd be curious to see if a re-test of this unit would reveal any performance improvements. Specifically I'l like to see if the Reference Stereo Mode running from the balanced input performed as well as they say it does. My suspicion is that is does not. I'd also like to find out if the digital input via USB performs well in tests. It sounds OK but I'm not loving it. A direct connection from my Reavon X200 to my ATC 100's sounds much cleaner and punchier. Yes. A highly subjective assessment based on absolutely nothing other than ears in the presence of an IPA.

Sorry about your issues with the RMC1-L. I had issues with my XMC-2 which a new HDMI board fixed, been fine since.

Lsc

When is v3.0 coming?

NicS

Sorry about your issues with the RMC1-L. I had issues with my XMC-2 which a new HDMI board fixed, been fine since.

Rob - Emotiva isn't owning up to any specification changes to the HDMI board. I have a funny feeling they made a tweak and have a v3.0 board on the way with better HDMI 2.1 compatibility. I'm living in hope it sorts out all these issues.

NicS

When is v3.0 coming?

LSC - that, my friend ins the $10,000,000 question. When. Apparently two week. As long as you are prepared for two weeks to take 180 days and counting. I keep getting the response "around two weeks", beginning back in February.

I'd be keen to get Emotiva to send an RMC-1L to ASR for testing. Maybe it will help repair its tarnished reputation.

NicS

Not to be a downer, but report back after living with the RMC for a month. I loved the sound of mine and it was absolutely maddening to live with. Sold mine after 8 weeks of ownership.
I feel your pain. Though the masochist in me sees me still owning the damn thing. I love to hate it.

Top Bottom