• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva RMC-1 AV Processor Review

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have any issues do you have the loudness compensation on?
Rob :}
No no loudness compensation needed.

If they have the same firmware, then rmc owners have the problem

As @HSamwel posted, there is a bug and they are looking into the issue. I am confident, based upon their past standards, we should see a fix somewhere before ....... the next decade. In the meantime, i would suggest if the rmc firmware is the same, you should find out more by going to the emotiva lounge forum and read up. As of now, there are 11 pages.

This is not something to ignore. It blew my subwoofer driver. Under certain conditions, it can boost bass by more than 10db.

chrismu

Hi,

I am new here and I hope I am allowed to write a RMC 1 review from the perspective of listening the sound.

I already have 50 years of audio listening experience (music and movies) and I was doing myself all the needed power amplifiers, but I never had a real good quality device until I could afford to buy the amazing Oppo 203 UHD player and the Emotiva RMC 1 receiver, connected to the Oled Sony A1F8 65 inch TV. These three pieces of my audio-video chain offered me that emotional experience which cannot be properly described in words. In order to set them all three together, in the best optimal functionality possible, I needed a lot of experience, knowledge, also reading hundred of pages of blogs, manuals, other reviews, including many pages from this amazing forum.

When buying some device, totally different from what I previously had, I always felt that pressure and feeling of being "so difficult to operate", but the more you operate, the easier it become and after few months I'll be starting to see how quickly I am using the remote and the controls and how quickly I can navigate through various menus. But frustration was part of getting used with the new staff and now I know it will happen every-time I'll buy something totally new.

Coming back to Emotiva RMC 1, before buying it, I read very carefully most if not all the 60 pages published here, in order to decide if this is the one matching my dreams as an audio and video amateur, knowing that my decision will cost me a great financial effort. So, finally I did it in november last year and then I started to adapt and build my own power amplifier, 16 channels, divided into 8 stereo modules, each placed in metal boxes, each having its own torroid transformer, EMI filter, double shielded cables and so on. After about 400 hours of work I had the system finalized and it weight 64 kg.

The came the moment of truth, which means the answer to the question: Will Emotiva RMC 1 offer me the best sound with zero ground noise that I always dreamed to have ? YES !!! ... When powering on, first I upgraded the firmware from its original 1.9 to 2.3 (for 2022 there is already a 2.5 version but I never tried it yet), knowing already that all the previous problems, bugs, audio spikes and others, mentioned in this thread of the forum, have been solved.

The sound is excellent on all 16 channels, zero ground loop noise - due to the XLR connection, and amazing little electronic components noise, which is almost impossible to hear even on a pause file playing. It never happened before Emotiva RMC 1 to actually get such a good sound with zero ground loop because mainly I was never using XLR technology - designed for noise cancellation. I compared that with the 7.1 audio analogue Oppo 203 output and I noticed the difference.

Then I played three files (until now): The amazing Aquaman 4k Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos Master Disc from my Blue Ray disc collection, played from OPPO Blue Ray unit, then I compared the same Aquaman played from a ripped mkv version, and then I played an original demonstration Dolby Atmos file offered freely on their website.

The results were truly amazing only from the original master disc and the original master demo file. The mkv rip was missing the last 4 height channels, and was not good.

The total immersion in sound is beyond any words and because the Atmos demonstration file have been created specially for showing the 16 channels effect, the one which knocked me out was a forest ambience ... insects flying from one speaker to another, birds noises circulating and hearing wings flapping, the wind blowing ... and this technology is just on the beginning, because Emotive promised long time ago a future expansion modules development which may add supplemental 12 channels (4 subwoofers and 8 new channels) and this is the only available receiver capable of expansion, including adapting to the 8k HDMI signals by simply upgrading the small board.

More than that, Emotiva RMC 1 has the best lowest price versus quality, and if you are just ok with 16 channels without expansion modules, then RMC 1-L is 500$ or even more, less expensive. I am so happy, that I can't find the proper words to say: this is really worth every penny.

Last edited:

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

I am new here and I hope I am allowed to write a RMC 1 review from the perspective of listening the sound.

I already have 50 years of audio listening experience (music and movies) and I was doing myself all the needed power amplifiers, but I never had a real good quality device until I could afford to buy the amazing Oppo 203 UHD player and the Emotiva RMC 1 receiver, connected to the Oled Sony A1F8 65 inch TV. These three pieces of my audio-video chain offered me that emotional experience which cannot be properly described in words. In order to set them all three together, in the best optimal functionality possible, I needed a lot of experience, knowledge, also reading hundred of pages of blogs, manuals, other reviews, including many pages from this amazing forum.

When buying some device, totally different from what I previously had, I always felt that pressure and feeling of being "so difficult to operate", but the more you operate, the easier it become and after few months I'll be starting to see how quickly I am using the remote and the controls and how quickly I can navigate through various menus. But frustration was part of getting used with the new staff and now I know it will happen every-time I'll buy something totally new.

Coming back to Emotiva RMC 1, before buying it, I read very carefully most if not all the 60 pages published here, in order to decide if this is the one matching my dreams as an audio and video amateur, knowing that my decision will cost me a great financial effort. So, finally I did it in november last year and then I started to adapt and build my own power amplifier, 16 channels, divided into 8 stereo modules, each placed in metal boxes, each having its own torroid transformer, EMI filter, double shielded cables and so on. After about 400 hours of work I had the system finalized and it weight 64 kg.

The came the moment of truth, which means the answer to the question: Will Emotiva RMC 1 offer me the best sound with zero ground noise that I always dreamed to have ? YES !!! ... When powering on, first I upgraded the firmware from its original 1.9 to 2.3 (for 2022 there is already a 2.5 version but I never tried it yet), knowing already that all the previous problems, bugs, audio spikes and others, mentioned in this thread of the forum, have been solved.

The sound is excellent on all 16 channels, zero ground loop noise - due to the XLR connection, and amazing little electronic components noise, which is almost impossible to hear even on a pause file playing. It never happened before Emotiva RMC 1 to actually get such a good sound with zero ground loop because mainly I was never using XLR technology - designed for noise cancellation. I compared that with the 7.1 audio analogue Oppo 203 output and I noticed the difference.

Then I played three files (until now): The amazing Aquaman 4k Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos Master Disc from my Blue Ray disc collection, played from OPPO Blue Ray unit, then I compared the same Aquaman played from a ripped mkv version, and then I played an original demonstration Dolby Atmos file offered freely on their website.

The results were truly amazing only from the original master disc and the original master demo file. The mkv rip was missing the last 4 height channels, and was not good.

The total immersion in sound is beyond any words and because the Atmos demonstration file have been created specially for showing the 16 channels effect, the one which knocked me out was a forest ambience ... insects flying from one speaker to another, birds noises circulating and hearing wings flapping, the wind blowing ... and this technology is just on the beginning, because Emotive promised long time ago a future expansion modules development which may add supplemental 12 channels (4 subwoofers and 8 new channels) and this is the only available receiver capable of expansion, including adapting to the 8k HDMI signals by simply upgrading the small board.

More than that, Emotiva RMC 1 has the best lowest price versus quality, and if you are just ok with 16 channels without expansion modules, then RMC 1-L is 500$ or even more, less expensive. I am so happy, that I can't find the proper words to say: this is really worth every penny.
I'm glad to hear that it's working out for you. I waited three years for an HDCP 2.1 board for my XMC-1. I'm not holding my breath for an 8k board for my RMC-1L. It is frustrating that HT receivers are so much more advanced than HT separates (under $10k).

chrismu

I'm glad to hear that it's working out for you. I waited three years for an HDCP 2.1 board for my XMC-1. I'm not holding my breath for an 8k board for my RMC-1L. It is frustrating that HT receivers are so much more advanced than HT separates (under $10k).
Well, I wouldn't worry much about the 8k, with what is happening now on the world,... there is so few 8k produced content until now that I feel there is no hurry to upgrade the HDMI 4k board to 8k. However, the long promised 12 additional channels might be attractive, but even here, the original 4k master blue ray discs are not offering more then 16 channels Dolby Atmos, and while watching Aquaman 4k Blue Ray Disc, I was curious to find out actually how much sound exists in the last 4 height channels (WIDE FRONT, SUB/MIDDLE HEIGHT)... after 10 minutes I heard a whale sound of 2 seconds in the SUB/MIDDLE HEIGHT (set to Height obviously) channels and a maybe 3 seconds or less of some bubbles in the WIDE FRONT pairs. So, that means even a 12 channels receiver is doing just fine. Actually, there are other blogs where I read about the fact that at least 90-95% of the audio content have been distributed in the first 12 Atmos channels, in order to please the fans who cannot afford to pay for a 16 channels receiver.

tparm

Forum Donor
Not to be a downer, but report back after living with the RMC for a month. I loved the sound of mine and it was absolutely maddening to live with. Sold mine after 8 weeks of ownership.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to be a downer, but report back after living with the RMC for a month. I loved the sound of mine and it was absolutely maddening to live with. Sold mine after 8 weeks of ownership.

I don't discount experiences that are good or bad.
The RMC-1 has occasional hiccups, say twice a month where it requires me to switch inputs.

The DACs and implementation is consistent on all channels. There is a flexible PEQ with REW upload integration. Dirac requires and external PI translator box which makes it less convenient.

I like the controls and modes. It has a Reference Stereo mode that disables all processing and a Direct mode that enables only the crossovers bass management.
It is good to have these to compare Dirac, PEQ, and no processing modes.

I am happy with the RMC-1 and it works well in my system.
The RMC-1 has not had to be serviced, unlike the Marantz AV8801 that I had to send in 3 times in a year. Thankfully, I could configure the Oppo 7.1 channels to keep the HT system running during the interruptions.

I still have that capability and remote programming mode should the need arise.

- Rich

Last edited:

chrismu

I don't discount experiences that are good or bad.
The RMC-1 has occasional hiccups, say twice a month where it requires me to switch inputs.

The DACs and implantation is consistent on all channels. There is a flexible PEQ with REW upload integration. Dirac requires and external PI translator box which makes it less convenient.

I like the controls and modes. It has a Reference Stereo mode that disables all processing and a Direct mode that enables only the crossovers bass management.
It is good to have these to compare Dirac, PEQ, and no processing modes.

I am happy with the RMC-1 and it works well in my system.
The RMC-1 has not had to be serviced, unlike the Marantz AV8801 that I had to send in 3 times in a year. Thankfully, I could configure the Oppo 7.1 channels to keep the HT system running during the interruptions.

I still have that capability and remote programming mode should the need arise.

- Rich
You are correct, there are some minor problems, mine when put on standby mode HDMI passthrough, when I press play, sometimes the sound is not switched on, so I press stop and then play again, Oppo will ask "play from lateste position?" and I say yes, then the sound enters normally ... I got used to it... first I was a little afraid, but then, after dozens of times, nothing bad happened more then this hiccup or glitch ... I forgot to mention that.

atomsite

I previously had the XMC-1. Emotiva offered a generous trade-in program to upgrade to the RMC-1, so I decided to get one.

The RMC-1 sounds MUCH better than the XMC-1. Its a little glitchy so I have to turn off the power switch to reboot it sometimes, but not too often. The eARC with my Sony TV works sporadically. I bought a Roku Ultra to bypass that problem. Plus it eliminated the annoying lip sync I would get from the audio coming from the Sony. The Roku is much better for audio than the apps on the Sony TV anyway as it turns out.

The RMC-1 before Dirac sounds awful, but after Dirac it is glorious. It is very immersive. With height speakers you are sitting within an envelope of sound. It is wise to use the Harmann +10dB bass target curve. Otherwise you probably won’t like the Swedish Dirac bass. Americans love their bass…

Hopefully Emotiva will release an expansion module with additional outputs, but I’m not holding my breath. I would love to do a 9.3.8 system in my room.

The only problem I seem to have now is that the DTS up-mixer won’t upmix DTS Master Audio to the height speakers. Not sure why… Everything else on the unit seems to work other than that and the eARC.

tparm

Forum Donor
Hey I’m not here to bust on Emotiva. I loved the sound (even without Dirac, loved the PEQ, Emotiva’s implementation of Dirac was no good for LFE), the fact it had balanced inputs, Reference Stereo, fully differential DAC implementation and I was sorta cheering for the small, boutique guys. In the end I am a tweaker but when I sit down to watch something or listen to music I want my gear to work and too often it didn’t. I bought the Emotiva after a stint with an A110 and the Emotiva sounded better. I sold the Emotiva and bought an AVM 70 and I have zero desire to upgrade, I love the Anthem. Sound is amazing, ARC in my experience is superior to Emotiva's Dirac, the web UI is fantastic and the thing just flat works. I felt I needed to qualify my earlier statement.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I previously had the XMC-1. Emotiva offered a generous trade-in program to upgrade to the RMC-1, so I decided to get one.

The RMC-1 sounds MUCH better than the XMC-1. Its a little glitchy so I have to turn off the power switch to reboot it sometimes, but not too often. The eARC with my Sony TV works sporadically. I bought a Roku Ultra to bypass that problem. Plus it eliminated the annoying lip sync I would get from the audio coming from the Sony. The Roku is much better for audio than the apps on the Sony TV anyway as it turns out.

The RMC-1 before Dirac sounds awful, but after Dirac it is glorious. It is very immersive. With height speakers you are sitting within an envelope of sound. It is wise to use the Harmann +10dB bass target curve. Otherwise you probably won’t like the Swedish Dirac bass. Americans love their bass…

Hopefully Emotiva will release an expansion module with additional outputs, but I’m not holding my breath. I would love to do a 9.3.8 system in my room.

The only problem I seem to have now is that the DTS up-mixer won’t upmix DTS Master Audio to the height speakers. Not sure why… Everything else on the unit seems to work other than that and the eARC.

I regularly use the RMC-1 with bass management and PEQ and it sounds great. Of course, this is room dependent. There are posts on the Emotiva stating the next major of release (3.0) will include cross format up-mixing.

- Rich

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning

The RMC-1 sounds MUCH better than the XMC-1.
Same here…except that I went with the RMC-1L. Don't think I'll ever need more than 16 channels…I'm only using six now! :)

I agree that the sound of the RMC-1 platform (with 2.x firmware) is a big step up from the XMC-1. In my case, sound was excellent even without DIRAC, but after taking the time, of course, it's even better. I skipped the provided mic and used a Dayton Audio EMM-6 with a custom calibration file from Cross•Spectrum Labs. This seems to give the best results for my system.

KimbaWLion

I realize I might be a bit silly for expecting something that cost $4999 plus tax to work as close as possible to 100%, but I do. I own their Airmotiv 4s speakers for years, and wish they still made that line, I would upgrade them in a second! I own their XPA 11 Gen 3 Amp, and I a very happy with it. I need a new Pre-Pro, as I am using the Pre Atmos Yamaha CX 5100 (I run 7.2 for now) which does sound great and works 100%. I want HDMI 2.1 because I want that 120Mhz refresh rate, I want eARC because I want all the data that I am due. My HTPC has an HDMI 2.1 output and want to get its benefits.

There finally seems to be more gear coming, but some how I DO NOT see me considering the new $18K McIntosh unit or the $16K plus Trinnov. It looks like Arcam and the others are finally starting to bring out, shortly, Pre-Pros that will be worth looking at. I wish everyone well with what ever they own and use, and I really mean that. Some people have more ways and means and that is okay with me. I just want something in the midrange (wow calling some thing up to +/- $5K midrange) that sounds darn good and works 100% when I turn it on. I work hard all week, like everyone else, and when I sit down to enjoy a movie I just want to turn things on and have them work after taking the time with the initial setup. I need, for me, for 100% execution to go with the sound. And if I have not bought a new Pre-Pro and Emotive fixes all the bugs, it most certainly with be on my list. I do like and support the company!

tparm

Forum Donor
I realize I might be a bit silly for expecting something that cost $4999 plus tax to work as close as possible to 100%, but I do. I own their Airmotiv 4s speakers for years, and wish they still made that line, I would upgrade them in a second! I own their XPA 11 Gen 3 Amp, and I a very happy with it. I need a new Pre-Pro, as I am using the Pre Atmos Yamaha CX 5100 (I run 7.2 for now) which does sound great and works 100%. I want HDMI 2.1 because I want that 120Mhz refresh rate, I want eARC because I want all the data that I am due. My HTPC has an HDMI 2.1 output and want to get its benefits.

There finally seems to be more gear coming, but some how I DO NOT see me considering the new $18K McIntosh unit or the $16K plus Trinnov. It looks like Arcam and the others are finally starting to bring out, shortly, Pre-Pros that will be worth looking at. I wish everyone well with what ever they own and use, and I really mean that. Some people have more ways and means and that is okay with me. I just want something in the midrange (wow calling some thing up to +/- $5K midrange) that sounds darn good and works 100% when I turn it on. I work hard all week, like everyone else, and when I sit down to enjoy a movie I just want to turn things on and have them work after taking the time with the initial setup. I need, for me, for 100% execution to go with the sound. And if I have not bought a new Pre-Pro and Emotive fixes all the bugs, it most certainly with be on my list. I do like and support the company!
Arcam, Anthem, et al already make PrePros that work.

KimbaWLion

Arcam, Anthem, et al already make PrePros that work.
Okay, it's my bad for clearly not being wording things better, so I apologize for that. But along with 100% working as intended, the HDMI 2.1 implantation to has to be with clearly define timing of coming. People have been waiting on the Anthem AVM90 over a year now let alone the upgrade for the AVM 70. The same thing goes with Emotiva, its coming but who knows when.
There is the Arcam AV41 "supposedly coming 2nd quarter of 2022" which HDMI 2.1 is to be fully installed and working, and the Anthem AVM 70 lists HDMI 2.1 upgradable, which will mean extra money afterwards and no date for when its even coming out.

I do own both a Yamaha and Denon receivers with working HDMI 2.1, both came out of Costco and have been well talked about. The Yamaha had to be sent in for a free upgrade and it works fine since I got it back. I use these in smaller rooms with smaller speakers etc. and not full blown home theater setups like I have in my basement home theater area. Sometimes you just don't need everything and these work fine, for me.

I hope I got it right this time, again sorry for not wording accurately.

Lsc

Emotiva also sells the XMC2. The RMC1 doesn’t give you a whole lot more for the extra $2k. But until they release DLBC and provide a timetable for HDMI 2.1, I can’t recommend these processors.

tparm

Forum Donor
Okay, it's my bad for clearly not being wording things better, so I apologize for that. But along with 100% working as intended, the HDMI 2.1 implantation to has to be with clearly define timing of coming. People have been waiting on the Anthem AVM90 over a year now let alone the upgrade for the AVM 70. The same thing goes with Emotiva, its coming but who knows when.
There is the Arcam AV41 "supposedly coming 2nd quarter of 2022" which HDMI 2.1 is to be fully installed and working, and the Anthem AVM 70 lists HDMI 2.1 upgradable, which will mean extra money afterwards and no date for when its even coming out.

I do own both a Yamaha and Denon receivers with working HDMI 2.1, both came out of Costco and have been well talked about. The Yamaha had to be sent in for a free upgrade and it works fine since I got it back. I use these in smaller rooms with smaller speakers etc. and not full blown home theater setups like I have in my basement home theater area. Sometimes you just don't need everything and these work fine, for me.

All good, I missed the HDMI 2.1 piece. Not something I need or care about.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes well, HDMI 2.1 is largely a set of optional features so if some are of interest, you should verify which ones are actually implemented.

You only need one HDMI 2.1 feature and a list of the one new HDMI 2.1 feature to be compliant.
So a manufacturer could add eArc and market the board as HDMI 2.1 with no other feature.
The HDMI standard is a hot mess which is why each new release, at least initially, causes problems.

- Rich

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The biggest feature missing is DLBC IMO and I haven’t heard if it is coming or not. Until they get it working they are at a big disadvantage to others that do.

Krobar

The sister AVR21 product stock started to appear with end users last week so I would assume AV41 stock is likely to appear in <2 weeks. Anthem wont be far off releasing the HDMI 2.1 upgrade either as they use the exact same HDMI board as Arcam.

Jbrunwa

My Arcam AV40 is at the service center getting the HDMI 2.1 upgrade. IMO it’s nice that Arcam began offering the upgrade to AV40 owners before shipping the AV41 and that all 7 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs are HDMI 2.1. It’s my understanding that AV41 is now in stock at some dealers and available to buy. I also own a Denon 3700, the one they had to ship an outboard box to fix.

Top Bottom