• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva Airmotiv C2+ Center Channel Speaker (review by Erin)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks to @hardisj for his review:

DSC02718.JPG

CEA2034%20--%20Emotiva%20C2%2B.png

Emotiva%20C2%2B%20Horizontal%20Contour%20Plot%20%28Normalized%29.png

Emotiva%20C2%2B%20Vertical%20Contour%20Plot%20%28Normalized%29.png

Emotiva%20Airmotiv%20C2%2B_Compression.png

Emotiva%20C2%2B%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Emotiva%20C2%2B%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2896dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Erin's conclusion:
I think what you’re paying for here is output in lieu of linearity. This speaker is big and imposing. It has plenty of volume (no pun intended) to make most home theater enthusiasts content. Though, the response linearity could use work but that’s commonplace with center channel speakers, unfortunately. The price is a great intro as well. Just mind where you sit; don’t sit too far to the side or too high above the tweeter.

Discuss!

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
As Erin wrote:
I can’t help but think that the C2+'s little brother, the C1+ would perform better in this regard (related to peak/dip in 1.5khz) simply because it has only a single midrange.

I hope so! If only C1+ was in stock... :(

I've setup an automatic notification system, which will monitor that page and let me know when it's back in stock. :)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This has comparable directivity to the Revel C10 and obviously way more output and bass, which I think still makes it one of the better centers we've seen reviewed. But yeah, lets see that C1+ :p

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Eh, that horizontal directivity due to the double 3" mids is pretty nasty looking. I would not purchase this over the C1+. They should definitely address the lobing issue in the next revision. Maybe one 5.25" mid along with a larger AMT for additional power handling and max SPL headroom.

Dal1as

Eh, that horizontal directivity due to the double 3" mids is pretty nasty looking. I would not purchase this over the C1+. They should definitely address the lobing issue in the next revision. Maybe one 5.25" mid along with a larger AMT for additional power handling and max SPL headroom.
Yeah the horizontal dispersion and frequency response is horrible. Wow. The Monolith 3 way has similar output but neutral with good horizontal dispersion. Hell I'd bet the Klipsch rc64 outperforms this.

dualimas

A bit disapointed by this, rly wonder how the monolith thx 365c compares to this, since its the main competitior in the price class

Dal1as

A bit disapointed by this, rly wonder how the monolith thx 365c compares to this, since its the main competitior in the price class

It was tested over at audioholics and did really well. I can not get over how little the Monolith THX speakers are talked about with their price to performance. It's baffling.

Look at the horizontal dispersion of the center.

The reviewer may have put the eyes in there I think. lol

Last edited:

beaRA

what's the point of having two mid-ranges? they literally shot themselves in the foot.
I agree with Erin's assessment:

I think what you’re paying for here is output in lieu of linearity.

Emotiva chose to tradeoff dispersion for output which might make sense for some customers with a long listening distance.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Emotiva chose to tradeoff dispersion for output which might make sense for some customers with a long listening distance.
That's not how you do this though, we don't add a second tweeter for higher output.

they should sacrifice linearity for sensitivity / Xmax increase, because linearity is already sacrificed this way anyway.

I think they just wanted to recycle the mid-range from C1+

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because baffle step doesn't effect the tweeter. But it does for midrange. You gotta make back that 6dB loss somehow and that's why you see multiple woofers/mids in many designs.
Why didn’t they at least vertically align the mids?

People who want smaller centre speakers could easily get the C1+.

They could have resolved this situation in so many ways to be honest.

I’m an absolute noob when it comes to speaker design and i can already think of multiple ways to fix this.

Dal1as

People who want smaller centre speakers could easily get the C1+.

They could have resolved this situation in so many ways to be honest.

I’m an absolute noob when it comes to speaker design and i can already think of multiple ways to fix this.
That's actually one of the 1st questions I had when I 1st saw the c2. I'm not a speaker designer either but I know how sound works. Maybe to keep the cabinet slimmer? But they could have used a good 2 inch mid like the Monolith?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because baffle step doesn't effect the tweeter. But it does for midrange. You gotta make back that 6dB loss somehow and that's why you see multiple woofers/mids in many designs.
Although a good loudspeaker engineer rather uses woofers with lower sensitivity so that the woofer sum has the lowest SPL as for the mids and tweeters attenuating networks can be used, or make such only as an active design.

That would have messed up the vertical directivity even more, no real option.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Although a good loudspeaker engineer rather uses woofers with lower sensitivity so that the woofer sum has the lowest SPL as for the mids and tweeters attenuating networks can be used, or make such only as an active design.

That would have messed up the vertical directivity even more, no real option.
Please walk me through this, MTMs usually have great vertical directivity.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please walk me through this, MTMs usually have great vertical directivity.
Not really, unless they fullfil the D'Appolito requirements regarding driver spacing which almost none do, not even Mr. Appolitos own designs. Was also thinking about TMM when reading your comment, the MTM would make it a bit better truth to be said.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure you haven't got vertical and horizontal mixed up right now? Almost every MTM design measured here has excellent vertical directivity.
Could there be a misunderstanding?

I mean that the soundbar is

----M----
W--T--W
----M----

similar to a MTM standing loudspeaker which usually has lobes in the vertical directivity. The here often measured M-T-M soundbars have smooth vertical directivity as the MTM arrangement is in the horizontal direction but their problems show in the horizontal directivity.

Top Bottom