• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva Airmotiv C2+ Center Channel Speaker (review by Erin)

sucramhabib

I guess I did attack you. My apologies!

My point is, they have an engineering team; knowing the C1+ is vertically aligned, it makes sense to think the idea of vertical alignment was discussed. They made a compromise. Solving one problem may also introduce others.

They had a budget, a target price and a design goal; went through many iterations, tested and measured the speaker and made informed decisions on what compromises they'd make. To say it's a broken design is inaccurate. It operates as intended and in some areas it does not measure well.

Just because it doesn't measure perfectly doesn't mean it sounds (tonally) bad. Conversely, products that measure perfectly may sound terrible.

DukeSD

I registered just to reply to this post. I just upgraded my Emotiva C2 to an SVS Ultra Center due to Erin's "Why Most Center Channel Speakers Suck" video. Everything mentioned came true to life. The Emotiva C2 and C2+ are fundamentally flawed and it is mostly due to the dual mid-range drivers. Sound was decently loud but terrible off axis and very muddy even directly on axis due to that huge square waveform at 1.5kHz.

To the person asking how to resolve it, without replacing the first thing I would do is unplug one of the mid range drivers and re-equalize.

GabrielPhoto

I registered just to reply to this post. I just upgraded my Emotiva C2 to an SVS Ultra Center due to Erin's "Why Most Center Channel Speakers Suck" video. Everything mentioned came true to life. The Emotiva C2 and C2+ are fundamentally flawed and it is mostly due to the dual mid-range drivers. Sound was decently loud but terrible off axis and very muddy even directly on axis due to that huge square waveform at 1.5kHz.

To the person asking how to resolve it, without replacing the first thing I would do is unplug one of the mid range drivers and re-equalize.
If Zorba from AVSFORUM reads this, he will track you down! :D

Persik

Should not Audissey or other EQ correct ( at least partially) C2+ non linear response?

GabrielPhoto

Should not Audissey or other EQ correct ( at least partially) C2+ non linear response?
Not sure how much it can fix of the on axis but that off-axis and the terrible directional sound (painfully clear that the sound is coming from the enclosure at all times) was enough for me to send it back. Of all the speakers I tested this was the most directional which is a big no no for me.

MDINNO

Why not just use the B2+ or B1+ bookshelf as a center and be done with it? Even if you have to put it on it's side. That's with any speaker brand not just Emotiva.

Top Bottom