• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EC as in Electrical Conductivity

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheap, because I DIY my cable. Of course, it is expensive if you can't afford.
Still more expensive than necessary for no benefit was the point. I can afford it, I just don't spend money on silly things that make no difference....

MAB

Major Contributor
A majority of the people who believe that the different materials make no audible difference, have never actually replaced their expensive copper cables with one made of the ferromagnetic metals such as iron, cobalt or nickel, because if they actually did, they'd be begging to go back to non-ferromagnetic metals after hearing the hysteresis distortion.
OK. I've seen iron vs. air core inductors. I've seen binding posts made from old nails. And they do have measurable effects that are predictable But the impact is like 0.1dB, at frequencies we can barely hear in the first place. So negligible.
I admit, I haven't seen data on something like replacing the speaker cables entirely with ferromagnetic wire, perhaps fence wire. Has anybody done that?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK. I've seen iron vs. air core inductors. I've seen binding posts made from old nails. And they do have measurable effects that are predictable But the impact is like 0.1dB, at frequencies we can barely hear in the first place. So negligible.
I admit, I haven't seen data on something like replacing the speaker cables entirely with ferromagnetic wire, perhaps fence wire. Has anybody done that?
How about Mark Henniger's (avsforum) use of crumpled aluminum foil in a speaker wire test?

sq225917

Major Contributor
We had a guy on one of the uk forums did an IC test and replaced the cables with his house keys, coat hanger wire, aluminium foil, paper clip and a few others. No one could reliably pick the original interconnects..

syn08

Like 10 years ago, on the other forum, a team of moderators replaced audio connections with coat hanger wire, using bananas, potato, mud, and other exotic materials as conductive media. Nobody was able to hear any differences. SY (@SIY here) can provide details. They must all be stone deaf.

Last edited:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Like 10 years ago, on the other forum, a team of moderators replaced audio connections with coat hanger wire, using bananas, potato, mud, and other exotic materials as conductive media. Nobody was able to hear any differences. SY (@SIY here) can provide details. They must all be stone deaf.
"Fancy Interconnects? How about a potato, or even mud?"

about 350 posts.
or as Stephen Colbert would say:

Is Potato

Last edited:

jschwender

Two cables, same length and one of silver, the other of aluminium with 1.3 times the diameter. So both have the same resistance. Nevertheless, there is a difference! The silver cable is thinner, and therefore it has a higher inductance (given the same isolation). You can measure that. Is this audible? I don't know of any proof for that, and i personally don't think it is. The silver cable is by factor 1100 more costly, so if money is not a limited resource you gain a slight measurable advantage and the good feeling that you are on the safe side.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Two cables, same length and one of silver, the other of aluminium with 1.3 times the diameter. So both have the same resistance. Nevertheless, there is a difference! The silver cable is thinner, and therefore it has a lower inductance (given the same isolation). You can measure that. Is this audible? I don't know of any proof for that, and i personally don't think it is. The silver cable is by factor 1100 more costly, so if money is not a limited resource you gain a slight measurable advantage and the good feeling that you are on the safe side.
A smaller wire has higher inductance, not lower, but at audio frequencies it is almost certainly not audible. The problem with aluminum wire is making good contact (initially and over time) to some other material (e.g. copper, silver, whatever), plus it tends to be more brittle (easier to break) despite higher tensile strength IIRC (may not).

Last edited:

jschwender

A smaller wire has higher inductance, not lower, but at audio frequencies it is almost certainly not audible. The problem with aluminum wire is making good contact (initially and over time) to some other material (e.g. copper, silver, whatever), plus it tends to be more brittle (easier to break)) despite higher tensile strength IIRC (may not).
uups, you are right! Of course, and higher would not be an advantage, sorry for the mess. I will correct that in my post…

MAB

Major Contributor
uups, you are right! Of course, and higher would not be an advantage, sorry for the mess. I will correct that in my post…
And the overriding good news is that while these are measurable effects, the change in inductance is negligible, and does lead to a predictable change in frequency and phase response of the speaker. These changes are on the order of 0.1dB or less, and occur gradually at the outer edge of human hearing.
I like to quote this experiment, with antique nails as conductors:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
A smaller wire has higher inductance, not lower, but at audio frequencies it is almost certainly not audible. The problem with aluminum wire is making good contact (initially and over time) to some other material (e.g. copper, silver, whatever), plus it tends to be more brittle (easier to break) despite higher tensile strength IIRC (may not).
The size of the conductor has is related to resistance, has nothing to do with inductance.

syn08

FWIW, the delta in inductance between 3m long, 1mm dia conductor and a 1.3mm dia conductor, placed far away from a ground plane, is a whopping 50nH, under 1% of the wire inductance (about 5uH).

The size of the conductor has is related to resistance, has nothing to do with inductance.
Wrong guess.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
FWIW, the delta in inductance between 3m long, 1mm dia conductor and a 1.3mm dia conductor, placed far away from a ground plane, is a whopping 50nH, under 1% of the wire inductance (about 5uH).

Wrong guess.
Don’t be silly conductor size has has nothing to do with inductance unless you mean conductor length? That’s why inductors are usually in the form of solenoids. A long length of conductor in a small volume.

syn08

Don’t be silly conductor size has has nothing to do with inductance
Wrong.

xtFrqNy.png

I can provide a phenomenological explanation if the above formula won't persuade you. Has to do with mutual inductance.

MAB

Major Contributor
Don’t be silly conductor size has has nothing to do with inductance unless you mean conductor length? That’s why inductors are usually in the form of solenoids. A long length of conductor in a small volume.
Actually, a length of straight wire has inductance, and can be calculated.

edit: as @syn08 just showed!

Top Bottom