• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing The Manufacture’s Jumper Bar

Jim Creek

I’m not bi-amping my speakers. One of my audiophile and wine sipping buddies tells me I should replace the jumper bar from the back of my MA Silver 100 speakers. He said to use 14 ga copper speaker wire instead. His reasoning is that the metal jumper bar is not pure copper but brass which does not conduct as well as copper.

Any truth to this? Or is he drinking too much wine?

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe if you lost the connecting bars altogether....

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to do it, it won't hurt anything. Have to think it's a waste of time. Audiophiles come up with all sorts of things that have no bearing in truth.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not bi-amping my speakers. One of my audiophile and wine sipping buddies tells me I should replace the jumper bar from the back of my MA Silver 100 speakers. He said to use 14 ga copper speaker wire instead. His reasoning is that the metal jumper bar is not pure copper but brass which does not conduct as well as copper.

Any truth to this? Or is he drinking to much wine?
There may be a veryyyy small voltage drop across the brass jumper compared to a pure copper conductor but we are splitting atoms here. The difference between brass and copper is very veryyy small and in laymans' terms it's crazy to even bother thinking about it because it's so minuscule a difference.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it's so minuscule a difference
And the contact resistance between the screw terminals holding the brass strips in place is probably greater, anyway.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The resistance (mathematically the inverse of conductivity) is insignificant...

Just checking an online reference, 1000 feet of 14AWG copper is 2.5 Ohms. If you had a 1000-foot run, yes the brass would be worse.

You can look-up the conductivity of brass and then you'd have to measure the length and cross sectional area.

But 2-inches would be about 0.00042 Ohms (if my math is correct) so the brass could be 100 times worse and still be insignificant. And as fpitas says, the contacts will have more resistance anyway.

[qutote]
One of my audiophile and wine sipping buddies tells me
[/quote]
Most wine connoisseurs understand blind tasting... Most "audiophiles" don't believe in blind listening tests... :D

Penelinfi

Do it to make it look cool and so that your speakers will automatically sound better to any audiophile people who see your speakers ;-)
The same with making y-split ends for your cables with heat shrink/actually split sleeve. Using a tubed insulation instead of the figure 8, or go fancier.

OP
Jim Creek

Jim Creek

I suspected his suggestion was BS. But I had to post it here to show him the truth. Thanks everyone.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There's a whole mini industry selling high end jumper cables for loudspeakers. Just look on Aliexpress...

example:
1692393509571.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspected his suggestion was BS. But I had to post it here to show him the truth. Thanks everyone.
It's a tough crowd. Hope you didn't lose a friend.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then there's the whole subject of why these stupid dual terminals are there in the first place....
I think we can guess. More cable sales, maybe more amp sales...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
His reasoning is that the metal jumper bar is not pure copper but brass which does not conduct as well as copper.

Any truth to this?

How does he know they aren't copper?

OP
Jim Creek

Jim Creek

Top Bottom