• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADC

I assume that explains this in my measurements:

View attachment 163110

So, yes, while I can filter that part in software, it would be better to have a much smaller DC component in the ADC used for measurements, to answer your question, Ivan (@IVX ).

I didn't check that while doing some first measurements test, but got this while setting to do a loopback recording
Cosmos.png

Didn't have more time available so I will check later.

I prepared the new FW with compensated DC offset, typical 30uV/1V.
Great news!
Comos ADC well received some weeks ago but didn't have a lot of time to test until now

So that's -90dB DC rejection ?
As requested above:
After FW upgrade, can we rollback to initial FW ?
I guess for that we would need it as an Hex file as well ?
(I posted the same question on your discord channel)

I don't see why you want to go back, the firmware seems stable and improved. It would be interesting though to hear which DC values are measured now 'in the field'. I gave my numbers already.

You'll need to connect those signals to an AES/EBU transmitter such as Texas Instruments DIT4192 or Cirrus CS8406. Both of these require a master clock at 128 or 256 times Fs. This can be generated from the word clock using a clock multiplier, e.g. the Cirrus CS2300-03. You'll also need power supply, output transformer, and some passive components. Maybe there's a ready-made board available somewhere.
I'm astonished nobody mentioned that the ES9822Pro includes SPDIF Out. I miss syncing capabilities too. If that output would be available I could at least let the Cosmos be clock master for computer and DAC. And it would even be possible to use the Cosmos stand-alone, via SPDIF out only. According to the data sheet a simple TOSLINK transmitter would be enough to get that, no further data conversion or buffer circuits are needed.

I don't see why you want to go back, the firmware seems stable and improved. It would be interesting though to hear which DC values are measured now 'in the field'. I gave my numbers already.
I was thinking that if THD compensation has to be re-done, it would be interesting to go back and compare.
But you're right, we'd probably have little use of it.

Now the issue with ESS ADCs is that their included High Pass, which they dared to rename DC Block in their latest data sheets, is a sloppy implemented 25 Hz filter

If the included fixed High Pass filter is poorly implemented, couldn't you implement a better custom High Pass filter in the Audio Signal Prosessor?

I'm astonished nobody mentioned that the ES9822Pro includes SPDIF Out. I miss syncing capabilities too. If that output would be available I could at least let the Cosmos be clock master for computer and DAC. And it would even be possible to use the Cosmos stand-alone, via SPDIF out only. According to the data sheet a simple TOSLINK transmitter would be enough to get that, no further data conversion or buffer circuits are needed.
I saw that too and I'm trying to find the easiest DIY solution to get digital output + Word clock. Will do some test soon
I was trying to only get Word clock, but it would be better to get SPDIF too indeed, allowing to add it to another interface and only manage in/out signals from this interface

But pls remember, the FW contains a few fixes:
1) the absolute phase is corrected from 180 to 0. Due to the 2nd harmonic is always about the system symmetry, that fix may affect the 2nd harmonic level
2) iOS power fix, some Chinese users like to use Cosmos ADC with iphone/ipad
3) DC offset fix

Cosmos_FW.png

iAP Interface.png

Ivan, any idea on how to get rid of those two errors from above? Although I installed Cosmos ADC driver (and ADC works perfect) I still get this iAP Interface issues in Device Manager. Also, FW upgrade software doesn't see my ADC.

What an I doing wrong, please?

Cosmos ADC PID isn't 6013 but 6012.
Please do not even touch ADC and USB cable during the flashing process! One Chinese guy today already reported his ADC was bricked after interrupted flashing! Fortunately, nearly the serial-flash IC I have two golden pads which need to short before plugging in the USB and next release these pads to reset CT7601 PID to 6012 and reflash that.

Reactions: trl
View attachment 163179

View attachment 163180

Ivan, any idea on how to get rid of those two errors from above? Although I installed Cosmos ADC driver (and ADC works perfect) I still get this iAP Interface issues in Device Manager. Also, FW upgrade software doesn't see my ADC.

What an I doing wrong, please?
The iAP interface is supposedly something that Comtrue added to their bridges to solve a bug with Huawei devices. It has absolutely nothing to do with using the Cosmos on Windows and doesn't impede usability or performance in any way.
As for the firmware tool, please open the device manager and look up the VID and PID that the Cosmos uses on your PC. Copy that into the firmware tool and it should be recognized.

Thank you! Auto asks for 2fc6 with 6013, while my ADC has 2fc6 with 6012. I've manually entered 6012 on the PID field, but still "USB device not available". :(

Thank you! Auto asks for 2fc6 with 6013, while my ADC has 2fc6 with 6012. I've manually entered 6012 on the PID field, but still "USB device not available". :(
Have you tried disabling "detect device" and turning it back on?

comtrue_Drv.png

dpinst64.exe was the first I've installed from that folder. Is it something else I need to install? I basically followed readme.pdf and when I press "Detect device" I get grey rectangle instead of a green one (of course, already changed PID from 6013 to 6012).

Back
Top Bottom