• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Douk VU3 Review (VU Meters)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's just eyecandy.
Not a serious attempt to build something really useful.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, but if I wanted to switch speaker outs/speakers I would just buy a switch.
Could even be relay operated.
This would have no impact on the analog out. The leakage of the 5V power supply and coupling to the audio seems to have some influence (probably not audible)

NoxMorbis

This would have no impact on the analog out. The leakage of the 5V power supply and coupling to the audio seems to have some influence (probably not audible)
Did you see my post above? Here it is:

I wrote Douk about the noise on the VU3 today and asked if they would update the unit and noise problem and when. They replied with this:
"Hello Our technicians got back to us quickly. The post [this review] is two years ago. It is our first version of VU3 and did have this issue. VU3 has been updated for several times in these years. We added a filter circuit into it and this issue had been fixed. Best Regards Yours Douk Audio

NoxMorbis

I was actually just thinking about a simply switch to go back and forth. Very simple. Anyway, they said they fixed it. Also, it's a switch with VU meters for 139.00 I jsut obught my amp for 139, so it's a hard sell for me in that respect. You would think it would be a lot cheaper than building an amp.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I mainly use JRiver Media Center as my audio (& visual) play center which has audio spectrum indicator also on my PC monitor screen, if I would like to show it; I actually do not like the design of the spectrum analyzer/indicator of JRiver and usually do not use it.
The problem with such features in the media players is that they are not in sync with the music as there is a pipeline delay until the data comes out of the DAC. For this reason, I really like the one in my RME DAC. I think the right place for it is at line level or amplification.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"Hello Our technicians got back to us quickly. The post [this review] is two years ago. It is our first version of VU3 and did have this issue. VU3 has been updated for several times in these years. We added a filter circuit into it and this issue had been fixed. Best Regards Yours Douk Audio
This would be good if true. Can you get a link from them and someone to purchase and send to me for testing?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Douk Audio VU22 Dual Analog VU Meter Display DB Panel MIC+LINE Sound Level Meter

61GxgmPnIqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
If this works the same as the one in the Duok H7 amplifier I tested just now, it is slow and rather inaccurate. But physically looks very nice.

NoxMorbis

If this works the same as the one in the Duok H7 amplifier I tested just now, it is slow and rather inaccurate. But physically looks very nice.
Yeah it looks good, better than the VU3 I guess. I like the circular VUs. I'm about ready to buy the updated VU3, because I can't use that VU22 anyway. Needs a preamp for me to use it with my set up, yadda, yadda.

NoxMorbis

This would be good if true. Can you get a link from them and someone to purchase and send to me for testing?
This is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096KLDMCV/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
I'm thinking about getting one. I could drop ship it to you if you can send it back to me when you are done? Or if it's still shit, I can get a return label PDF file (no physical label) and you can just take it to a UPS drop off store and send it back?

Unless someone lives close to you and wants one. I live in California.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I repeatedly chimed, we should not mix-up quasi-VU meters, sham-VU meters, with genuine true VU meters fully compatible with IEC 60268-17 VU meter specification/standard (please refer to here and here), especially transient ballistic behaviors of rise time, overshoot and fall time;
IEC 60268-17
The rise time, defined as the time it takes for the needle to reach 99% of the distance to 0 VU when the VU-meter is submitted to a signal that steps from 0 to a level that reads 0 VU, is 300 ms. The overshoot must be within 1 to 1.5%. The fall time is the same as the rise time, 300 ms.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096KLDMCV/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
I'm thinking about getting one. I could drop ship it to you if you can send it back to me when you are done? Or if it's still shit, I can get a return label PDF file (no physical label) and you can just take it to a UPS drop off store and send it back?

Unless someone lives close to you and wants one. I live in California.
Sure I can send it back to you. Please start a conversation with me and we take it from there.

NoxMorbis

As I repeatedly chimed, we should not mix-up quasi-VU meters, sham-VU meters, with genuine true VU meters fully compatible with IEC 60268-17 VU meter specification/standard (please refer to here and here), especially transient ballistic behaviors of rise time, overshoot and fall time;
IEC 60268-17
The rise time, defined as the time it takes for the needle to reach 99% of the distance to 0 VU when the VU-meter is submitted to a signal that steps from 0 to a level that reads 0 VU, is 300 ms. The overshoot must be within 1 to 1.5%. The fall time is the same as the rise time, 300 ms.
I wonder how much it would cost Douk to actually make a VU meter like you state it?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wrote Douk about the noise on the VU3 today and asked if they would update the unit and noise problem and when. They replied with this:

Sure, but Douk could have sent a unit for @amirm to retest.:oops:

For that matter, Douk continued to sell them without any way to order an improved one apparently. Given this, cannot order today and be sure you will not get older version. Boo hiss!

Last edited:

NoxMorbis

Sure, but could have sent a unit for @amirm to retest.:oops:

For that matter, Douk continued to sell them without any way to order an improved one apparently. Given this, cannot order today and be sure you will not get older version. Boo hiss!
I don't think they do that. You can simply ask if one you buy is updated. Of course, they can lie. . .enter Amirm. Also, you probably don't want the factory to send you one. You want a consumer unit from a consumer vendor, like Amazon.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I made a product and it got a bad review from a reliable source, would work to see that the reviewer got an updated one. Sure Amir would prefer a black box approach ideally, but does not have time to test every new unit that he is sent on the hope that the correct fix was made.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how much it would cost Douk to actually make a VU meter like you state it?

To survive, all industry players must be profitable. So your question depends on "supply and demand".

Almost all genuine VU manufacturers have given up producing genuine VU meters. The reason is that the demand for genuine IEC60268-17 VU meters in the audio-visual industry is rapidly declining (down to almost zero) and it is not profitable.

We also discussed this a lot on the thread titled "VU Meter: Let's See 'Em!!" .

Therefore, only very few manufacturers specializing in custom order demand from professional AV studios and professional broadcast studios still produce authentic VU meters like YAMAKI; see here and here. Of course, their custom-made real VUs are pretty expensive.

For professional use of genuine VU meters, they of course need to provide long-time-span spec guarantee, maintenance, replacement, calibration, and other services with/or without further charge/cost.

Last edited:

NoxMorbis

If I made a product and it got a bad review from a reliable source, would work to see that the reviewer got an updated one. Sure Amir would prefer a black box approach ideally, but does not have time to test every new unit that he is sent on the hope that the correct fix was made.
They should state if it is updated or not, though, for sure.

NoxMorbis

Well, Amir has the 'updated' version of the VU3 now. Can't wait to see if it was actually updated! We're watching you Douk.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,

Just for your reference,,,

- Dancing video of my IEC 60268-17 compatible large glass-face DIY 12-VU-Meter Array
_____Part-1:
with "High Frequency Linearity Check Track" of Sony Super Audio Check CD: #750
_____Part-2: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-1: #751
_____Part-3: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-2: #752
_____Part-4: with typical "Jazz Piano Trio Music": #753

Top Bottom