• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bricks List: 36V & 48V Power Supplies (for Fosi, Aiyima etc.)

amix

Hello.
I have received a response to the query about sources
@joqueval, thanks for coming back.
Very good to know, indeed.

Sadly, the ZA3 on eBay is out of stock, but I hope they will restock soon. Or better, release a real ZA3 mono, in the meanwhile.

BTW: Did @amirm mention, whether he wants to review the ZA3?

Last edited:

doug s.

@joqueval, thanks for coming back.
Very good to know, indeed.

Sadly, the ZA3 on eBay is out of stock, but I hope they will restock soon. Or better, release a real ZA3 mono, in the meanwhile.

BTW: Did @amirm mention, whether he wants to review the ZA3?
if you don't need xlr or a trigger, you should consider the aiyima a0x7. i recently bought two; they replaced very nice amps in my active 4-way system - a pass f2 clone and an upgraded almarro a205a mkii. both were shipped to me, with the 48v/5a power supplies, for $166usd. i upgraded the op amp to a discreet op amp in the one driving the full-range driver in my oris 150 horn. (only operating from 175hz-7khz in my quad-amped system.) the sound is truly excellent. imo, of course - hah! it was excellent, even before i did the op amp swap; a bit more warmth, smoothness and resolution (ya, all at once!) with this akliam lc2 discreet op amp. ($61 shipped for four; i didn't install the 2nd pair in the amp driving the ribbon tweets >7khz, cuz they don't fit inside the case and the midrange amp is running naked. maybe if/when i come up w/a more elegant solution to cover them than w/a paper towel. i figure there's not much happening >7khz anyway.)
1707248107618.png

i checked the pricing from the aliexpress vendor who sold me the amps, as a friend of mine is now interested in them; they're now wanting $190 shipped for the pair. but, another vendor is, (or was, as of last night), selling them for $144 the pair, shipped w/the 48v/5a power supplies. $22 cheaper - damn! i was ripped off! ;)

doug s.
btw - these amps, like the fosi za3's, are also bridgeable.

MCH

Major Contributor
I also use two Aiyimas a07 max to drive my subs, but for different reasons too long to detail here, i ended up with one of them without power supply.
I was thinking that now that i have to buy one, why not buying one that can drive the two so i can reduce some clutter. Does anyone have any low cost suggestions? I saw the encapsulated meanwell mentioned up there but it costs more than i paid for the two amps! (btw @doug s. i got one for 62 euros with 36V PSU at Aiyimy Audio Store - which i do not recommend and the second for 50.7 euros without power supply at "Yimaglobal store", also at Aliexpress)

doug s.

I also use two Aiyimas a07 max to drive my subs, but for different reasons too long to detail here, i ended up with one of them without power supply.
I was thinking that now that i have to buy one, why not buying one that can drive the two so i can reduce some clutter. Does anyone have any low cost suggestions? I saw the encapsulated meanwell mentioned up there but it costs more than i paid for the two amps! (btw @doug s. i got one for 62 euros with 36V PSU at Aiyimy Audio Store - which i do not recommend and the second for 50.7 euros without power supply at "Yimaglobal store", also at Aliexpress)
one of these. (not exactly low cost, but not unreasonable, either.):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/145114710034
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134765660015
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295775827641
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334633227960
this one's in europe:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234986803056

yes, yimaglobal store is the store where i could buy a pair of the a07 max's w/the 48v/5a power supplies today for $144 shipped. and, it seems i did purchase my amps from them; what they've done is lower their price on one of their linked pages, and it's actually $190 shipped on another!?!

buy to sets of amps/power supplies here for $190 shipped:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806017099797.html
or buy the exact same stuff here for $144 shipped:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806206789357.html
wtf?!? it just means that you need to be thorough searching different page links on aliexpress...

i had considered buying a pair of the 1st meanwell item i listed above; after i looked at the auction, i got a "special offer" which would have reduced the cost to about $110usd for a pair, shipped. but, i figured that, since i'm using my amps to drive highly efficient drivers, it's not really necessary for my application.

doug s.

Reactions: MCH

amix

@doug s. Thanks for advice but I need trigger.

@MCH @doug s. is right about recommending MeanWell. They are one of the world's largest PSU manufacturers and create quality products. Since I don't know the market I don't know alternatives, though.

If I understood these class-d amps the right way, then one doesn't need to oversize the PSU, since their highest peak production equals their specified normal max. output.

doug s.

@doug s. Thanks for advice but I need trigger.

@MCH @doug s. is right about recommending MeanWell. They are one of the world's largest PSU manufacturers and create quality products. Since I don't know the market I don't know alternatives, though.

If I understood these class-d amps the right way, then one doesn't need to oversize the PSU, since their highest peak production equals their specified normal max. output.
c'mon amix - only roy rogers needs trigger; you can turn the amps off when not in use. ;) or just leave 'em on; they draw so little power when idling.

re: the power ratings, as i understand it, these amps will deliver max power w/a 48v 10-12a power supply. (at least that's how the aiyima a07 max is rated - 300wpc both channels driven, at 4 ohms; but measures only ~102wpc (averaged), per amir's measurements, w/a 36v 5,7a power supply. i'd think the za3 is similar; as this is also how the fosi v3, rated at 300wpc performs: 62w into 4ohms with 32v 5a p/s, and 141w into 4 ohms, w/48v 5a p/s.) that's why, if you have inefficient speakers, a beefier p/s might be a worthwhile option.

doug s.

Mr_RGB

I have four AIYIMA A07s and a Fosi Audio BT20A PRO and am trying to figure out if the concerns about sound quality with 48volt power supplies are only at high volume or if this applies to low to mid volume? I like the idea of more headroom for transients when playing at lower volumes. Also wondering about the Meanwell supplies if it would be worth adjusting the voltage down closer to 40volts? The following is my list of power supplies.

Mean Well SP-500-48 Power Supply | In: 100-240VAC 50/60Hz Out: 48VAC @10A
MEAN WELL DRP-240-48 Power Supply In: 100-240VAC 50/60Hz Out: 48VAC @5A
FOSI 48V 5Amp (not GaN) power supply
Aiyima 32V 5Amp power supplies

MCH

Major Contributor
. Also wondering about the Meanwell supplies if it would be worth adjusting the voltage down closer to 40volts?
I believe Aiyimas (07 max and original) still have 50V rated caps. I don't know how bad it is to operate them at 48V. Some members here have said it is not ideal (not sound quality related)

asimze

Excuse me, but one thing is not clear to me at all? A forum that overemphasizes the electrical measurements of the device, and when it comes to topics where the technical parameters of the device must be looked at, they are missing.
Let's go back to the beginning! Class D amplifiers require more powerful power supplies. My mentor, a very experienced DIY-er, suggests at least 300W, not the 240W that the manufacturer installs.
Second, what parameter should we observe from the specification? Is it just riple or are there any others???
Some recommend Mean Well power supply intended for medical purposes??? Isn't that a waste of money?
Why doesn't one of the older and more knowledgeable members direct the question to Mean Well?
Otherwise, the discussion itself goes in the direction of guessing, so whoever guesses is good. And let me mention once again that the question is purely technical in nature

doug s.

I believe Aiyimas (07 max and original) still have 50V rated caps. I don't know how bad it is to operate them at 48V. Some members here have said it is not ideal (not sound quality related)
nope - 63v caps in the a07 max. it's hard to see in the pic, unless you blow it up, but trust me; these amps are shipping w/63v caps. not sure what the earliest ship date was; i think it was some time in 2023, tho... and the akliam lc2 op amps i've installed draw more current than the stock op amps; i've been running them for a few days, and they've been on 24/7 w/no issues.
1707341554908.png

doug s.

MCH

Major Contributor
nope - 63v caps in the a07 max. it's hard to see in the pic, unless you blow it up, but trust me; these amps are shipping w/63v caps. not sure what the earliest ship date was; i think it was some time in 2023, tho... and the akliam lc2 op amps i've installed draw more current than the stock op amps; i've been running them for a few days, and they've been on 24/7 w/no issues.
View attachment 348076

doug s.
yes, the bigger ones they changed them long time ago, mine are from november and already have the 63V. I refer to the SMD ones in the yellow circles. If you still have it open you could check if they are in the 48V rail (i have not checked) but i bet that at least the one at the corner is.

1707342135967.png

It could be that they have changed those ones too since, they said they would consider it, but as of ca. december at least they were 50V rated (0.1uF SMD electrolitics rated at >50V are not super common though but exist)

Last edited:

doug s.

I have four AIYIMA A07s and a Fosi Audio BT20A PRO and am trying to figure out if the concerns about sound quality with 48volt power supplies are only at high volume or if this applies to low to mid volume? I like the idea of more headroom for transients when playing at lower volumes. Also wondering about the Meanwell supplies if it would be worth adjusting the voltage down closer to 40volts? The following is my list of power supplies.

Mean Well SP-500-48 Power Supply | In: 100-240VAC 50/60Hz Out: 48VAC @10A
MEAN WELL DRP-240-48 Power Supply In: 100-240VAC 50/60Hz Out: 48VAC @5A
FOSI 48V 5Amp (not GaN) power supply
Aiyima 32V 5Amp power supplies
me personally, i'd not use less than 48v/5a with these amps. i was about to pull the trigger on the power supplies in the 1st ebay post i listed above, and forego buying the 48v/5a power supply offered by aiyima; it would not have been that much more expensive. maybe $60-70 total, after i purchase the connectors needed for wiring them? but since the speakers i'm driving are 95 & 100db efficient, i figured the 48v 5a (6.3a max) power supplies would be more than adequate. if you have power hungry and inefficient speakers, it might be worth getting better power supplies. aiyima rates the a07 max at 300wpc/4ohms - with a 48v 12a p/s...

and while i'm no meanwell expert, from what little investigation i did, i'd go w/the hrp series.

doug s.

doug s.

yes, the bigger ones they changed them long time ago, mine are from november and already have the 63V. I refer to the SMD ones in the yellow circles. If you still have it open you could check if they are in the 48V rail (i have not checked) but i bet that at least the one at the corner is.

View attachment 348079

It could be that they have changed those ones too since, they said they would consider it, but as of ca. december at least they were 50V rated (0.1uF SMD electrolitics rated at >50V are not super common though but exist)

if i still have it open? lol! see those op amps? my new temporary "cover" is a paper towel. ;) i have no idea what i'd be looking for, to determine whether or not they're on the 48v rail, but i do know they're still 50v; mine were ordered 24 jan 24.

doug s.

doug s.

Excuse me, but one thing is not clear to me at all? A forum that overemphasizes the electrical measurements of the device, and when it comes to topics where the technical parameters of the device must be looked at, they are missing.
Let's go back to the beginning! Class D amplifiers require more powerful power supplies. My mentor, a very experienced DIY-er, suggests at least 300W, not the 240W that the manufacturer installs.
Second, what parameter should we observe from the specification? Is it just riple or are there any others???
Some recommend Mean Well power supply intended for medical purposes??? Isn't that a waste of money?
Why doesn't one of the older and more knowledgeable members direct the question to Mean Well?
Otherwise, the discussion itself goes in the direction of guessing, so whoever guesses is good. And let me mention once again that the question is purely technical in nature
if you have inefficient speakers that are rated at 4 ohms, or go below 4 ohms, then i don't think upgrading power supplies is a waste of money at all. especially for lab-grade power supplies. medical/lab equipment has an extreme requirement for clean power - it could literally mean life & death. i have most all my audio gear plugged into lab grade power supplies, (then plugged into balanced power conditioners) - you can typically find top notch lab grade p/s's on line used for pennies on the dollar. and when "meanwell" came up, almost all comments from those w/experience in these matters strongly recommended them. if you ask meanwell, they will most likely refer you to their specs, and say something like "yes, they will work well".

doug s.

LSPhil

I don't want to spoil the fun for you, but the power sockets used in these Amplifiers can have a maximum of 100W. TPA3116 are better. They deliver 4x less power but are acoustically better.

Attachments

• der Stecker 2.5 5mm.png
    der Stecker 2.5 5mm.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 60

doug s.

I don't want to spoil the fun for you, but the power sockets used in these Amplifiers can have a maximum of 100W. TPA3116 are better. They deliver 4x less power but are acoustically better.
i don't think you're spoiling anyone's fun. considering the aiyima a07 max will put out 300wpc if a 48v 12a power supply is used, i'm pretty sure that the 100w delivered to the amp is sufficient for it to put out its rated power. and, most people who have compared the 3116 to the 3255 prefer the 3255 - ie: they think they are acoustically better - regardless of power ratings.

doug s.

Mr_RGB

Warning about Digishuo 48V/5A power supply from eBay and Amazon. Wanted something cheaper than the FOSI 48V/5A and found this on on eBay at half the price. Nice big case and does measure 48V but very light. I found it also on Amazon and thought I would check the reviews. Somebody had posted a warning that these cases held repurposed smaller power supplies just attached with foam tape and foam blocks. I decided to open up mine and look what I found inside. Might be one of their smaller power supplies just stuck in a bigger case, but I have no idea of it's actual capacity. I am now skeptical of all no-name high capacity power supplies.
Power supply 02.jpg
Power supply 01.jpg

Reactions: MCH

doug s.

Warning about Digishuo 48V/5A power supply from eBay and Amazon. Wanted something cheaper than the FOSI 48V/5A and found this on on eBay at half the price. Nice big case and does measure 48V but very light. I found it also on Amazon and thought I would check the reviews. Somebody had posted a warning that these cases held repurposed smaller power supplies just attached with foam tape and foam blocks. I decided to open up mine and look what I found inside. Might be one of their smaller power supplies just stuck in a bigger case, but I have no idea of it's actual capacity. I am now skeptical of all no-name high capacity power supplies.
View attachment 348255View attachment 348256
i simply stopped shopping amazon a few years ago, because jeff bezos is an ass. i don't care if their products are decent or not. why not buy direct from china? after all, that's where most (all?) of the stuff comes from anyway.

and, was it less expensive than this iteration? - $26.49, shipped for the 48v/5a (6.3a max):
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806206789357.html

doug s.

Mr_RGB

I would love to see some actual quantitative testing of these various power supplies so we can see if they actually deliver their rated power on a sustained basis. Also can they put out more than rated power for brief periods? Are the more expensive GAN supplies just smaller? Can a large industrial supply (like Mean Well) supply more peak power ?

doug s.

I would love to see some actual quantitative testing of these various power supplies so we can see if they actually deliver their rated power on a sustained basis. Also can they put out more than rated power for brief periods? Are the more expensive GAN supplies just smaller? Can a large industrial supply (like Mean Well) supply more peak power ?
i queried fosi about their gan p/s vs their standard 48v/5a p/s when i was considering the v3's, and they said no sonic benefit. not sure why they're offering it. re: the other power supplies, i know amir and a couple users did test a couple - whether fosi or aiyima, i don't remember - possibly both. and they seemed to meet spec.

per fosi and aiyima, the higher amp-rated power supplies will allow the amps to produce more power. their 300wpc ratings are w/10a and 12a power supplies. and the tests asr has run show higher output w/the 48v/5a p/s's, than w/the 32/36v iterations. so, it would make sense that 10/12a power supplies would make more power, considering that's what fosi and aiyima say...

fosi v3:
1707442383792.png

aiyima a07 max:
1707442469048.png

doug s.

Top Bottom