• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do Fancy Audio Cables Make a Difference? (video)

Overseas

Major Contributor
Hi, is there a technical threshold for laymen as for specifications like the usual, an example below; I mean a minimal spec level or an interval of values over which advantages cannot be audible ?
Specifications
Wire Gauge - 14 AWG
Jacket OD - 4.00 mm
Cross-sectional area - 2.50 mm2
Loop resistance - 0.016 Ω/m
Capacitance - 58 pF/m
Inductance - 0.66 µH/m
Dissipation factor - 0.0900

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hi, is there a technical threshold for laymen as for specifications like the usual, an example below; I mean a minimal spec level or an interval of values over which advantages cannot be audible ?
Specifications
Wire Gauge - 14 AWG
Jacket OD - 4.00 mm
Cross-sectional area - 2.50 mm2
Loop resistance - 0.016 Ω/m
Capacitance - 58 pF/m
Inductance - 0.66 µH/m
Dissipation factor - 0.0900

If this is speaker wire, the first one is most important. The rest are either redundant or not particularly important.

The Capstan

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Amir,

thank you for this debunking video. Do you think you can do also USB cables sooner or later?
Hi there. Yes, I have planned one to come shortly.

sofrep811

Ive always been on the anti-fancy cable side. I've built my own based on the Blue Jean model and I know my system is not nice enough to notice a thing. I borrowed some Nordost for a week and it was weird, it felt like it slowed the response time to the speakers.

Great video and glad I finally found my log in info on this after moving.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ive always been on the anti-fancy cable side. I've built my own based on the Blue Jean model and I know my system is not nice enough to notice a thing. I borrowed some Nordost for a week and it was weird, it felt like it slowed the response time to the speakers.

You are supposed to memorize that, it is a BIG secret dude. ahahah just kidding man glad you found it, I know the frustration.

BluesDaddy

I'd love for you to do a video on amplification. Of course, companies seem to design tube amps these days to HAVE a certain "sound", but there are always those around who tout the "sound" of this solid state amp vs. that solid state amp.

Back in the late 80s I had just started reading Stereophile which, IIRC, had an article regarding making your own speaker cables out of Radio Shack solid core hook up wire. I don't recall the details now, but I went down to the local RS, bought some wire and mail ordered (no internet back then) some "gold" spade connects from, again IIRC, some advertiser in Speaker Builder magazine. I made some and hooked them up and swore for a week or two they made a difference. After moving later that year, I set my system back up but used the old 12 gauge cable I had because I either I couldn't find the ones I'd built or one of the spade connectors had come off and I hadn't had time to repair it. Anyway, the system sounded INCREDIBLE to me again. Couldn't believe it. Of course, perhaps it was just a function of a new space, my heightened focus (since I hadn't had much music time in a week or so because of the move), or other factors, but it pretty much convinced me it wasn't about the cables. Old Julian Hirsch was right.

Aerith Gainsborough

I borrowed some Nordost for a week and it was weird, it felt like it slowed the response time to the speakers.
Is that even possible?

Nordost cables may not do anything for the sound but I do think the Odin 2 looks kinda sexy. :D

Overseas

Major Contributor
Are you familiar with Stinger brand? I am looking at their 10awg ofc cable.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I've got some strong wind I'd like to send Audioquest… in a jar. It's about time companies that rip people off like this are chased out of the industry with their tails between their legs.

JSmith

solderdude

Grand Contributor
No measurements, only subjective anecdotal evidence.
One cannot expect some objective proof though. If there was it would have been plastered all over the web and not be a point of debate.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
His commitment to sell to you seems measurable.

When it's off the charts we cannot know where on the chart their commitment really is.. :)

Reactions: GDK

Aerith Gainsborough

Looks like you forced ABYSS/JPS Labs to address the topic (in 4 parts :eek:):
My 2 currency sub-units:
You found out that ABX tests didn't work for cables ... because there is simply put: nothing to hear. If cables had such an effect on the transmitted signal most of our technology would not work. Printed PCBs most certainly would not work at all. I mean these are the most horrid connections (in an audiophile sense) that you can get. Yet every device we use and interconnect with your fancy cables use them.

I respect that you devoted a lot of time to listening. I also believe that you believe that you can hear changes. Our brains are fickle things and our perception is so easily influenced.

If you want to maintain that you are able to hear the cables of your system there is a very easy way to scientifically prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt: let someone else swap the cables while you are out of the house. Conceal them, so you cannot see them. Then listen. Write down your perceptions, correlate what you hear with the materials you think that have been chosen by the other person. You can leave each cable in for a week or two, so you don't have the pressure of an "instantaneous ABX test".

After a month or two, correlate the data of your perceptions with what was really in there. Boom. You will notice that you did not pass the test. No one can, because unless the cable is defective or completely unsuitable to the load, it has no relevant influence on the signal.

The reason why you got into cables is very simple: they have an absurd profit margin, probably the biggest you can find in all things audio. If your brand gets the rep and nod of approval by the so called "golden ears".

Hmm.. have I been to mean on that one?

diddley

Forum Donor
Reading the comments below the video Amir and ASR gets really trashed.They are still not happy with the review Amir gave to one of their products.
When you start criticizing without argument, you are really standing empty handed.laughable.

Aerith Gainsborough

One other thing than just switching the cables is level matching after the switch.
They would have to be pretty crappy cables in order to influence the levels to an audible degree. o_O

The idea was that he would listen to music like he normally listens: at variable volumes, depending on mood etc. Basically do everything he usually does with the cable being the only difference, since he wanted to get away from the strain of being put on the spot.

Top Bottom