• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starlink is very good

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Other remote areas could be Africa and South America are Starlink active on these markets ?

They don’t seem competitive in Europe due to very dense population centres, there business fits large spread out populations ? I assume .

Not much in Africa. Surprisingly some in Mongolia. I think in time it will be worldwide.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Not much in Africa. Surprisingly some in Mongolia. I think in time it will be worldwide.
From a human rights perspective internet access must be globally available because those without internet service are in abject information accessibility poverty and can't ever reasonably compete. They are doomed without it. :D That's the ideas sort of stuff that I have read anyway. I'm not a expert on the topic.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting...
Yes, I imagined this occurring and it's been named and explained now. It would be a major catastrophe almost being like all the water pipes in a city freezing because the heating systems where not provided with energy like electricity for example. To have all data communications totally obliterated and without resources to rapidly bring everything back online is a major major upset event that would cost many lives and a breakdown in societal norms that we rely on for everything in today's world.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m just fascinated that it works out economicaly sending shed loads of satellites into space instead of fibers ?
Or is it us peculiar telco market that creates the niche ?

As a bit of tech nerd I’m fascinated that it works so good :) the actual topic of the tread ...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m just fascinated that it works out economicaly sending shed loads of satellites into space instead of fibers ?
Or is it us peculiar telco market that creates the niche ?

As a bit of tech nerd I’m fascinated that it works so good :) the actual topic of the tread ...
I am totally ignorant how all this Starlink stuff functions, how it avoids collisions and locates themselves in space and time. Never mind where the energy comes from for operating and for backup at night. The electronic circuitry in Starlink satellites must be incredibly efficient

coonmanx

Yes, I imagined this occurring and it's been named and explained now. It would be a major catastrophe almost being like all the water pipes in a city freezing because the heating systems where not provided with energy like electricity for example. To have all data communications totally obliterated and without resources to rapidly bring everything back online is a major major upset event that would cost many lives and a breakdown in societal norms that we rely on for everything in today's world.
Makes one think that a military might think twice before deciding to take action, like taking out another country's satellite. Because in the end, if it caused a chain reaction, they could end up losing their own satellite.

This also makes me wonder where all of the satellites are. How about the ones in middle and high earth orbit...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Makes one think that a military might think twice before deciding to take action, like taking out another country's satellite. Because in the end, if it caused a chain reaction, they could end up losing their own satellite.

This also makes me wonder where all of the satellites are. How about the ones in middle and high earth orbit...
Wow! You are correct and that is a really cool thought. I read a long time ago a book written by the USA Army about nuclear detonation effects and what they mean and how to survive after major nuke detonations and avoid radiation sickness as best as possible. The energy will take out solid state electronics including orbiting satellite electronics systems if they are in the beta or alpha wave energy zone (I'm not sure it it's the beta or the alpha energy.). So having hardwired data systems and hardwired electrical energy power transmission systems are more secure for such events when compared to a system like Starlink.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow! You are correct and that is a really cool thought. I read a long time ago a book written by the USA Army about nuclear detonation effects and what they mean and how to survive after major nuke detonations and avoid radiation sickness as best as possible. The energy will take out solid state electronics including orbiting satellite electronics systems if they are in the beta or alpha wave energy zone (I'm not sure it it's the beta or the alpha energy.). So having hardwired data systems and hardwired electrical energy power transmission systems are more secure for such events when compared to a system like Starlink.
There is some progress in hardening satellite electronics. I am guessing some military ground gear is protected at least somewhat. Supposedly one reason the Soviets stuck with vacuum tubes in their aircraft for so long is tube gear isn't taken out by this radiation. So all of us luddites with tube gear and phono records can continue listening as long as we live after some such event.

A somewhat related topic and nice article today about shielding spacecraft and people from radiation. In the cool kind of Star Trek raise the shields manner.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am totally ignorant how all this Starlink stuff functions, how it avoids collisions and locates themselves in space and time. Never mind where the energy comes from for operating and for backup at night. The electronic circuitry in Starlink satellites must be incredibly efficient
One cool thing is they use lasers to connect all the orbiting satellites to each other and move data around to and from customers. Then it is beamed down to ground stations they call Gateways. There are 150 of those. I think the ground station locations are why you have areas not served. The Gateway has to be within a 1000 miles to connect to the satellite network.

The gateways use KA band and in newer ones E band to up and downlink with the satellites.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One cool thing is they use lasers to connect all the orbiting satellites to each other and move data around to and from customers. Then it is beamed down to ground stations they call Gateways. There are 150 of those. I think the ground station locations are why you have areas not served. The Gateway has to be within a 1000 miles to connect to the satellite network.
Holy Crap! I thought it was sooper cool and now it's like the coolest ever. Lasers! Amazing. :D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To have all data communications totally obliterated
Kessler syndrome won't eliminate ALL communications (after all, we still have plenty of data cables on the ground), and if it happened in LEO I think GPS would still be OK, but it will trap us on earth for the forseeable future. Which is bad for many reasons, but would not (I think) cause an absolute catastrophe down here on earth.

What you're thinking of is a Carrington Event-type solar mass ejection which wipes out almost all electronics on the planet. When it happened in the 1800s, telegraph wires melted due to the extremely high magnetic flux. Back then that was more of a curiosity than a disaster. Nobody was relying on electronics to live. Today...?

Well, enjoy your nice speakers while they're still operable, I guess. And maybe having a vinyl collection isn't so silly...

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Starlink solution is going to solve a lot of problems for me In France .There is currently a promotion on the Starlink site at 225 € instead of 445€ for the complete standard kit, but from what I've seen it's with the Gen2 and not the Gen3 which is currently only available in the USA...so I'm going to wait for the more powerful Gen3 in France.

https://www.starlinkhardware.com/gen-3-mesh-router-now-available-in-the-shop/

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the sake of giving another data point, here is another Starlink speed test in western Maine. The starlink app shows a little bit higher, something like 180MBps. Maybe the wifi network explains the difference. I didn't turn off the other connected devices although they shouldn't have been doing anything.
Screenshot_2024-03-13-08-11-59.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
A new(ish) worry to worry about if you're a worrier:

"To date, most modeling of reentering space junk has focused on whether any pieces will endure to threaten bystanders on the ground, says Daniel Murphy, the study’s lead author and a research chemist at NOAA’s Chemical Sciences Laboratory in Boulder, Colo."

RDoc

Agree... I posted this a few pages back. ;)

JSmith
Something to keep in mind though that the article didn't mention is that most of these are in low earth orbit which means they are subject to the drag of the extreme outer atmosphere so their orbits will naturally decay to reentry even if the satellites themselves are completely dead. They actively keep correcting their orbits to stay up.

AIUI, most of them, and any of their debris from a collision, would deorbit themselves due to drag in about 5 years if they aren't active.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know if any of you watched the live stream of the SpaceX Starship launch. Some really terrific pictures. HiDef video of all aspects live. Far cry from watching the early space launches on a ghost ridden black and white television of my youth. The way the Starship heated up during re-entry was quite something to see. Alas just as that was really going apparently it broke up and was lost. But they have 4 more ready to set up and gather more data.

Top Bottom