• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Directional Cables And Other Faerie Folklore

Jorj

Forum Donor
As a recovering addict (car stereo....leave me alone...I had lots of windshield time in a past life), I've tended towards an occasional foray into the home audio game. Just long enough to get what I consider acceptable sound, and get out.

I'm not sure when this got started, but I saw nothing of it during my previous expedition in the mid-90's. I've been quite literally astonished to learn of the amount of items sold and expounded upon by what would be otherwise reputable audio component purveyors that can have, as defined by the laws of physics, no effect whatsoever. In no arena is this more evident than cables. Did I miss something? Have home electronics now superseded the limitations of physics, electromagnetism and forged some new kind of science that confounds and eludes our most complicated test equipment? Are human ears now better than precision test gear? Perhaps if, and only if, they have been properly trained by hours of listening music reproduced on ungodly expensive gear; so sensitive even, that they can detect with ease the fact that an interconnect has been swapped end for end (as a stupendous number of forum trolls attest)?

Now I'm reading that these companies, these paragons of science and leadership are selling at HUGE cost, directional interconnect cables!!! As if the electrons they snare have a preference in their path to earth. Some are even claiming, and I do not exaggerate here, that the process by which the conductor wire was formed can impart sonic qualities which are undetectable by anything other than subjective listening. So profound is this process, that it is sometimes necessary to cryogenically treat the wires so the grain of the metal crystals is relieved, further improving their....their....uhh. Yeah.

What happened? Is skepticism dead? I thought the scientific method won! Something on the order of 4 or 5 centuries ago now. I do not claim to electronic competence in the slightest. But, I did have, as most adults in this country did, physics classes. I got enough Faraday, Coulomb, Maxwell and Ampere to get by, and was indoctrinated in the fundamentals of circuits and the laws of resistance, capacitance, inductance, just like everyone else. Again I ask, what happened? It smells like religion.

PS>Don't get me started on DSD, HiRes, etc. Was Nyquist also disproven or improved upon while I slept? I feel like Rip V...

OP
Jorj

Jorj

Forum Donor
Oh dear Lord. More directionality! But it's QUANTUM! <nods knowingly, approvingly>

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Reality: this is a tiny fringe niche. The victims are people with too little brains and too much money, so my sympathy is limited. The part that bothers me is when the fraudsters start expanding into quack medicine.

From my AXPONA 2017 report at audioxpress.com:

And best moment of the show was after a demo of phono cartridge assembly by AJ van den Hul. AJ also apparently sells a line of quack medical gadgets, and the person he chose for that demonstration was… my physician. My doc is a very smart but very mild and quiet fellow, and he just gave a slight Mona Lisa smile through the proceedings as his shoulder was “treated.”​

If you really want entertainment, High Fidelity Cables is there to help liven up your day. I don't think I've ever before seen something so brazen. The lagniappe at the AXPONA demonstration was their principal's repeated statements about how their investors are litigation attorneys. "Really aggressive litigation attorneys."

When someone starts telling me about quantum whatever, I ask them what the solutions to the 1D harmonic oscillator look like (this is maybe a sophomore physics question). That usually ends the conversation.

OP
Jorj

Jorj

Forum Donor
It's no wonder the damn things cost so much. Imagine the cost of the equipment to generate 1,000,000 volts plus the devices to verify the tunneling!
No need to verify. No test gear invented can surpass the detail retrieval of the human ear. Profoundly audible, just ask them.

I can just see them with a Tesla coil and a rack full of fuses. Magic sparks, Lieutenant Dan!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It is unfortunate that there are so few calling the snake-oil peddlers to task.
All too many of today's audiophools are willing to just nod their heads and clap their hands like trained seals rather than putting those notions to the test. More afraid of failing a blind test and appearing incompetent in front of the believer community than willing to learn the truth while the believers tell the tales of Santa Claus and other such nonsense.
"Can you hear what I hear"? No? Must be your very poor hearing or cheap HiFi components blocking the way. ;)

egellings

Major Contributor
How can a fuse be "powerful"? Quackademic medicine is scary. Try Miracle Mineral Solution. You end up drinking bleach! Geeziz! FDA put out a warning to the public to not use the stuff, but curiously did not shut down the manufacturers.

Top Bottom