• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trying to create a set up, but not sure what I'm doing. [PC/Phone]

I am trying to create a set up where I can play music from my desktop or from my phone via aux/BT. My main music library storage is on a external SSD attached to my PC (Windows 10 Education).
I recently bought the Sony SSCS5-2 channel speakers. I've been doing research for the past week and have slept very little and feel like I've learned nothing (I am sure I will wake up one of these days and it'll all click, but for now my mind is fried). My mind is fried but damn it, I want to listen to my music and enjoy it ASAP, I need it.

Anyway, I went to BestBuy thinking what I needed was a receiver. I figured I'd also be able to enjoy some good home theater sound when watching stuff on the smart TV and could see myself eventually wanting to try a 5.1 setup. Got sold a Denon-AVR1700X, $599 on sale. And boy has this thing given me so many headaches and this is where I don't know what to do.

I read and was informed that I could simply use an HDMI cable to connect my PC to the AVR. And so I did just that. Got it connected to my EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti. Ran the set up on the AVR and made that the name for this specific HDMI input. My PC ended up extending the screen to the TV, though it looked like shit (crappy Westinghouse 50" Roku TV). I tested the sound by firing up a random YouTube video and it was working, albeit short-lived. The sound eventually stopped working altogether or would create a weird skipping sound every few seconds. I fiddled with the cables and settings, installed Realtek drivers, googled for eternity, etc. Made sure that my PC sound selection was on the Denon. I have opened the NVIDIA Control Panel and verified that the HDMI: Denon was listed. At some point, when setting the Denon source to the GeForce, the TV was no longer extending the display and would just be a black screen. Additionally, I couldn't hear any audio. I figured I would try an optical cable instead. I didn't have a spare so I borrowed one from a Samsung soundbar and plugged it into my PC motherboard SPDIF slot and connected that to the optical on my Denon AVR. At this point, I didn't know how to select this specific source since the options when scrolling through the Denon are all either HDMI, Tv Input, HEOS, or Phonos.

I am wondering what is needed to make this set up work. I am wondering if I even need this AVR or if I should return it and instead get some sort of DAC/AMP. I'm leaning much more towards the music side of the experience and could pass on the 5.1 set up, though I would at least like to try to connect a subwoofer.

-What can I connect my PC to so that anything I play will get some sweet sound treatment? What cables are needed? Any software that might help?

-If a DAC/AMP combo or stack is preferred, I don't know how to choose. Since I was willing to pay ~$650 for the Denon, I am willing for this to also be my budget for a set up, if necessary. During my research, I learned about different types of Class Amps (A, B, AB, D, etc.). I learned about ESS vs AKM chips. I learned about measurements and "holographic" feelsies. Some people argue that it's all overkill, but I am quite the sucker and would gladly shill a bit more if it meant the possibility of an improvement in the listening experience.

I also am playing around with FL Studio to make songs and stuff though not sure if I will ever buy additional peripherals but just wanted to throw that out there in case there are any considerations to be had for my ideal set up.

Edit: I also plan on using Viper4Android, not sure how this all plays into the set up. I also have headphones that would be nice to use with the setup. (ATH-M50's and Beyerdynamic Custom Studios)

Edit: I would be playing MP3s, FLACs, and stream YouTube Music, Pandora, Spotify. Eventually I may try Tidal or splurge on Roon.

PC Specs
GFX: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (EVGA)
MOBO: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ProArt B550-CREATOR (AM4)

Last edited:
Top Bottom