• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6700H AVR Review (Updated)

David338

Amir used the term "clip" but when pre out reached his test voltage of 2 V with the pre out connected to the power amps, it would have been the power amp that clipped, resulting in the lower pre out SINAD (75 dB), but again it wasn't the pre out that clipped.

The AVR-X6700H's pre out would probably clip at closer to 4.5 V if you look at the graph.

Yes, I was referring to the amp clipping and transferring the noise to the pre-out when the pre-out is NOT set to disconnect to the internal amp.

I believe Amir's test graph with the X6700H was with the amp disconnected, thus no issue through 4V. But my question is what the volt will be when the amp starts to clip if the Pre out is still connected to the amp.

The use case is this:
1) LR is to use external amp and only the Pre-out for the LR is set to disconnect the internal amp: No issue here.
2) All the bed layers, including the center channel (which is the biggest concern), is to use external amp, however, the pre-out for these channels are NOT set to disconnect (there is no option to do this because of (3)): at what volt will the internal amp start to clip and introduce noise into the pre-out?
3) The Atmos speakers are to be powered by the X6700H internal amp: at what volt will the internal amp start to clip?

Obviously the solution is to set Pre-out to disconnect for all channels and be powered by external amp, but I am trying to understand if there is still a way to use the internal amp. If the clipping volt is known, as in X3700H at 1.4V (see below) when the internal amps are connected, the second solution is to use external amps that can reach their max output below that voltage. But that still may limit the headroom. Amir tested the X3700H with both scenarios but I cannot find that in the X6700H test.

1646246863054.png

Hoping I am making sense here?

Brambo67

If you use ‘my’ setup (AVC-X4700H playing in a 7.4.1 layout) the fronts are assigned with a dedicated power-amp and there are no internal amps ‘in the way’. So no ‘extra’ distortion here and you are guaranteed to get max pre-amp power..

Attachments

• CE5F70CF-38F9-449B-9FAA-0BD143D5AAED.png
    CE5F70CF-38F9-449B-9FAA-0BD143D5AAED.png
    398 KB · Views: 173

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I was referring to the amp clipping and transferring the noise to the pre-out when the pre-out is NOT set to disconnect to the internal amp.

I believe Amir's test graph with the X6700H was with the amp disconnected, thus no issue through 4V. But my question is what the volt will be when the amp starts to clip if the Pre out is still connected to the amp.

The use case is this:
1) LR is to use external amp and only the Pre-out for the LR is set to disconnect the internal amp: No issue here.
2) All the bed layers, including the center channel (which is the biggest concern), is to use external amp, however, the pre-out for these channels are NOT set to disconnect (there is no option to do this because of (3)): at what volt will the internal amp start to clip and introduce noise into the pre-out?
3) The Atmos speakers are to be powered by the X6700H internal amp: at what volt will the internal amp start to clip?

Obviously the solution is to set Pre-out to disconnect for all channels and be powered by external amp, but I am trying to understand if there is still a way to use the internal amp. If the clipping volt is known, as in X3700H at 1.4V (see below) when the internal amps are connected, the second solution is to use external amps that can reach their max output below that voltage. But that still may limit the headroom. Amir tested the X3700H with both scenarios but I cannot find that in the X6700H test.

View attachment 190057

Hoping I am making sense here?

I understand your point. It depends on what is the lowest SINAD acceptable to you. If 75 dB is good enough for you then you don't have to worry about it because at 2 V, you can drive a lot of amps (with gain 28-30 dB) to 315 to almost 400 W 8 ohms or 630 to 800 W 4 ohms.

Take a look of the following SINAD vs pre out voltage graphs and you can see a better picture.

1) AV7705 (no power amp to "clip" at all!), and SINAD dropped to 75 dB before it even reached 4 V XLR, that would be 2 V RCA.

index.php

2) Marantz SR7015, without the pre out connected to the power amps, you get a little more than 75 dB at 2 V.

index.php

3) AVR-X3700H, with pre out connected to the power amp, you also get a little more than 75 dB at 2 V.

index.php

Note that the rapid drop happened presumably at the onset of the power amp clipping, but only a small part of the much higher THD resulting from the power amp clipping was fed back to the preamp, so by the time the pre out reached about 1.7 V, SINAD was about 81 dB and you can clearly see that the drop started to level off. If Amir had plotted the graph for up to say 3 V, I suspect (can't prove it) SINAD would be about 65 dB or 0.056% THD, still below the threshold of audibility according to a lot of reviewers including Gene.

So the bottom line is, it depends on the bar you set. As we know, Amir tends to set his bar relatively high because he is keen on "engineering excellence", and want to ensure the device under test won't produce audible noise in a quiet room. Still, my other point is, to avoid the power amp clipping effect, you can go with the Marantz prepro such as the AV7705 and AV7706, but unless you use XLR with power amps that match the gain structure, you will have the same concern because its peak SINAD would also be at about 1.2 to 1.4 V unbalanced/RCAs. In fact it's peak SINAD performance at that voltage was only about 87 dB.

In my opinion/experience, I could not tell any difference between 70 and 100 dB SINAD, except with 70-75 dB SINAD, I could hear the noise when the room is quiet and if I get within a coupe of feet from the speakers whereas with 90 dB SINAD I would consider the amp silence in my rooms.

Just for reference, apparently Denon sent Gene the following graph that show the pre out's clipping point is about 4.25 V:

Compared that to the X6700H, Amir's graph shows a little higher than 4.25 V. That would have nothing to do with the power amp, though the THD+N/SINAD would be higher obviously with the power amp connected and clipping, but the clipping point for the preamp itself would still be > 4V.

David338

Compared that to the X6700H, Amir's graph shows a little higher than 4.25 V. That would have nothing to do with the power amp, though the THD+N/SINAD would be higher obviously with the power amp connected and clipping, but the clipping point for the preamp itself would still be > 4V.

Thank you @peng for the insight. I understand. Above chart shows 4.25V clipping for the X6700H when the power amp is disconnected. Do we know the clipping volt if the internal amp are connected?

Todd74

Just received my 6700 a few days ago. Definite upgrade over the Marantz 6014 in every possible regard. So glad I didn’t buy the 8015 instead. No idea why anyone would want a Marantz AVR unless they have bright speakers they want tamed and would rather spend $300+ on useless nonsense to do it, rather than 20 bucks for the Audyssey app.

After inserting the 6700 into my system, I now see that it was the Marantz responsible for making my Dynaudio Contour 20’s sound veiled, dull, and lifeless. The 6700 is more dynamic, punchy, spacious, and airy... and has better clarity, improved center performance & dialog intelligibility… and the sound bubble is more filled in. I set it up for Center Height + VOG, and first impression is that I like the layout.

Even Audyssey seems to be implemented better. It’s more accurate than it was on the 6014. Less need for tweaking. All the speakers seem more seamlessly integrated now, greater cohesiveness. Overall it’s just a more fun HT experience. Everything just sounds “right”. I was concerned I might experience buyer’s remorse, but such wasn’t the case. Great purchase.

Mp0wer

Have they fixed the hiss on the center channel on the 6700, is it safe to purchase ?

Todd74

My Dyn friend called me 30 minutes ago praising his Celans. Out of the box he thinks they’re easily better than S40 and might even be better than his Buchardt S400 Special Editions [which says a lot]... and is totally impressed that they can hang with a $5400 Contour 20 at just $1500.… and they’re not even broken in yet.

Todd74

I have to watch my 7 yr old tomorrow so I won’t get to hit Audio Advice until Wed or Thursday, ugh.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @peng for the insight. I understand. Above chart shows 4.25V clipping for the X6700H when the power amp is disconnected. Do we know the clipping volt if the internal amp are connected?

That graphs was originally posted by Gene of Audioholics.com in his review on the AVR-X3600H and he said he got it from Denon. I believe that same graph would apply to the other Denon AVRs that has the same circuity components/parts for the preamp/DAC section, may be give or take a few dB when measured on the test bench because of various factors such as tolerance, and may be some minor variations between model years. Obviously I am only speculating, it is best to go with published measurements by independents such as Amir's and Gene's.

As to "clipping volt", it seems that some reviewers such as Gene and JA of Stereophile generally would go with the point where the measured THD exceeds 1%, whereas Amir seems to go with the knee point, that is when THD starts to climb at much higher rate. Personally I prefer the knee point approach but it is not always easy, or fair to compare the results of the two approach because the rate of increase right after the knee point could be very different and it also depends on the THD level at that point. For example, rising from 0.0005% would be better than rising from 0.05% even if the rate of rise (slope) is the same, all else being equal.

Based on published curves for the pre out's THD+N vs voltage on ASR, I would say all 2017 and newer Denon/Marantz models measured by Amir would have SINAD at about 75 dB, that is just below 0.018%, at 2 Vrms without disconnecting the internal power amps. So in my opinion, it is reasonable to say such AVR's pre out voltage clipping point is higher than 2 Vrms, or 2.828 V peak. If you go with the knee point that Amir picked, it would be 1.4 to 1.5 V but the quicker increase in distortions at that point isn't due to the preamp output voltage clipping as such, but rather, due to the internal power amps clipping.

Also, based on published measurement results, I would assume those AVRs will not reach the clipping point at below 3 Vrms, (more likely closer to 4 V) if we consider clipping point is where THD>1%.

As I posted in previous posts, Audioholics.com reviewed the AVR-X3300W, that should be a good reference as I am sure the AVR-X6700H can only do better. I could only reference Audioholic's because Amir has not measured any Denon or Marantz AVR at voltage >2 V with the internal amps connected.

Gene's comments on the pre out measurements:

Denon AVR-X3300W Preamplifier Measurements

One thing I really love about Denon receivers is they NEVER skimp on their preamp out circuits. Like past models, the AVR-X3300W had an ample amount of drive. I measured a whopping 4.5Vrms unclipped output, which is more than double the voltage needed to make virtually any amplifier reach full rated power. Yamaha please pay attention and step your game up particularly with your AV receivers in this price range that clip above 1.6Vrms. A preamp output of less than 2Vrms is unacceptable in my book.

jjk

Forum Donor
I very recently installed the X6700H in my system.
I have three subwoofers.
Are there any suggestions on how to best configure the Denon for home theater ops with three subs?
Currently I drive the subs through a minidsp 4x10 Hd; they are eq'd correctly by measuring with REW. And so I have configured the Denon with one sub output.
More information: I run the Denon in the PreOut mode on a 5.1; All five channels are driven with March Audio amps.
I don't use the Denon for music; I have a parallel system with the Okto 8 DAC.
I have not run the Audyssey app yet due to the sub question.
Thanks for any suggestions about the subs.
Good weekend.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have three subwoofers.
Are there any suggestions on how to best configure the Denon for home theater ops with three subs?
Currently I drive the subs through a minidsp 4x10 Hd; they are eq'd correctly by measuring with REW. And so I have configured the Denon with one sub output.
More information: I run the Denon in the PreOut mode on a 5.1; All five channels are driven with March Audio amps.
Good weekend.

If I remember correctly, Audyssey's recommendation is to connect two subs that are equidistance to your mlp via a Y splitter. Since you have 3, then I would say just group the two that are equidistance (likely on the front?) via Y connect to sub 1 and the other to sub 2. I hope you will be using the Editor App.

jjk

Forum Donor
If I remember correctly, Audyssey's recommendation is to connect two subs that are equidistance to your mlp via a Y splitter. Since you have 3, then I would say just group the two that are equidistance (likely on the front?) via Y connect to sub 1 and the other to sub 2. I hope you will be using the Editor App.
Thanks peng.
Two of the subs are not exactly equidistant, but close. I have the three subs positioned where they each provide approximately the best response in the room (with WAF taken in to consideration as well).
I have only skimmed the Audyssey chapter in the manual. Does the Editor App establish a room curve? I set a Harman curve with REW.
Thanks.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks peng.
Two of the subs are not exactly equidistant, but close. I have the three subs positioned where they each provide approximately the best response in the room (with WAF taken in to consideration as well).
I have only skimmed the Audyssey chapter in the manual. Does the Editor App establish a room curve? I set a Harman curve with REW.
Thanks.

You are welcome. The App's default curve is quite flat in the bass but as you know, you can set your own "Harman curve".

1655041138605.png

Amir did one in one of his review, as show below:

index.php

Before you run it, you may want to read the following linked articles that may save you time.

Reactions: jjk

jjk

Forum Donor
You are welcome. The App's default curve is quite flat in the bass but as you know, you can set your own "Harman curve".

View attachment 212346

Amir did one in one of his review, as show below:

index.php

Before you run it, you may want to read the following linked articles that may save you time.

You da man. Thanks.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have three subwoofers.
Good weekend.
Another option is running MultiSub optimizer and use your miniDSP as a single sub. Then don’t use Audyssey to EQ the bass. MSOP now has a wizard which makes things way easier to perform.

Reactions: jjk

jjk

Forum Donor
Another option is running MultiSub optimizer and use your miniDSP as a single sub. Then don’t use Audyssey to EQ the bass. MSOP now has a wizard which makes things way easier to perform.
That is a good idea, thanks. I tried MSO several years ago and found it interesting, but too cumbersome. I will take another look. Thanks.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This!

To add, in this way you can now use your dialed in sub-array across both the AVR and music systems as I do. Audioholics has a fairly recent full walkthrough video on setting up and calibrating multi subs on Denon/Audyssey using the app.

I will have to revisit MSOP, I usually just do it the manually to assure things are optimized specific to the room.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Thanks peng.
Thanks.
See here for hopefully more clarity on preference curves in Audyssey.

Post in thread 'Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...f-room-correction-multeq-x.28178/post-1211666

In short: when using REW (Option B) set the preference / house curve in REW only. If not using REW set it in the Audyssey App or in the MultiEQX

Top Bottom