• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6700H AVR Review (Updated)

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey I need a memory jog. I did a search here first, but nothing came up like in the 3700/4700/8500 threads.
The X6700 was affected by the AKM fire and subsequent switch to the lower SINAD T.I. DAC implementation, yes? New/newer units will have the T.I. DAC's, while older ones have AKM's (and is it s/n that tells them apart)?

Or did 6700 escape the switch? Thanks!

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

Hey I need a memory jog. I did a search here first, but nothing came up like in the 3700/4700/8500 threads.
The X6700 was affected by the AKM fire and subsequent switch to the lower SINAD T.I. DAC implementation, yes? New/newer units will have the T.I. DAC's, while older ones have AKM's (and is it s/n that tells them apart)?

Or did 6700 escape the switch? Thanks!

hutt132

Is there a way to have Multi Ch Stereo only play out of the front 3 speakers when all 11 speakers are connected to the unit?
For instance with music, you can quickly swap between Stereo (2 channel) and Multi Ch Stereo (11 channel), but I want a mode to play out of the front 3 channels.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a way to have Multi Ch Stereo only play out of the front 3 speakers when all 11 speakers are connected to the unit?
For instance with music, you can quickly swap between Stereo (2 channel) and Multi Ch Stereo (11 channel), but I want a mode to play out of the front 3 channels.

Denon doesn't offer a setting to only play fronts and center with multi-channel stereo but if you are using external amps you can simply turn on only the amps associated with the speakers you want to play.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Denon doesn't offer a setting to only play fronts and center with multi-channel stereo but if you are using external amps you can simply turn on only the amps associated with the speakers you want to play.
Correct me if I am wrong here. Doesn’t this unit allow for 2 separate configurations/Calibrations? If so he could use one of the Configurations to set the unit to the three fronts (LRC) and sub(s) and just switch between the two configurations as he likes. I did not read the manual for this specific model, so it may not have this feature. Just a suggestion.

rvsixer

Correct me if I am wrong here. Doesn’t this unit allow for 2 separate configurations/Calibrations? If so he could use one of the Configurations to set the unit to the three fronts (LRC) and sub(s) and just switch between the two configurations as he likes. I did not read the manual for this specific model, so it may not have this feature. Just a suggestion.
I don't have a 6700 in hand, but according to the manual yes that should work (post #447).
Setup speaker config as LCR only, select Multi Ch Music mode, save as a preset. Use the other speaker preset for full multichannel playback. Easily switch between the two presets via remote.

@amper42 may know something we don't though, having had hands on experience with last gen Denon's.

Last edited:

Brambo67

Just out of interest; why would you want something like this?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have a 6700 in hand, but according to the manual yes that should work (post #447).
Setup speaker config as LCR only, select Multi Ch Music mode, save as a preset. Use the other speaker preset for full multichannel playback. Easily switch between the two presets via remote.

@amper42 may know something we don't though, having had hands on experience with last gen Denon's.

That's a bit more complicated than simply turning off the amp to speakers I don't want playing but it certainly could be done. You would need to run a new Audyssey profile with only the speakers you want to use. Then save it as one of the two preference or save it on the iPad/Phone and load it when desired to the Denon. Good suggestion!

rvsixer

That's a bit more complicated than simply turning off the amp to speakers I don't want playing but it certainly could be done. You would need to run a new Audyssey profile with only the speakers you want to use. Then save it as one of the two preference or save it on the iPad/Phone and load it when desired to the Denon. Good suggestion!
Hmmm I see it as much easier:
1) Preset method: Set up once and run RC once (speaker preset saves not only the speaker settings, but all RC and other settings as well)...after that it is instant changing between the modes (this in particular was a requirement of the OP). RC is optimized for each speaker setup.
2) Turn off/on amps: Have to have external amps (not necessary with preset method), and must turn all amps off (and then back on again) each time you change modes (does not meet instant changing of modes requirement). Also RC would likely change between the two speaker setups, if so one would be compromised unless you ran new RC each and every mode change.

But hey everyone is different in how they work :)

OCA

Forum Donor
I've added an integrated amp with a DAC to the system which is connected to both my digital music source and the AVR's front pre-outs. I can get a proper phantom image with just the front left and right speakers with stereo music. Cleaner, higher power and the ability to apply sophistaced FIR filters to the digital source helps with that. The AVR is more relaxed and not only it can feed the rest of the channels more dynamically but also you get the option to run another pair of surround channels (13.2 in your case) if you so wish.

Dobbyisfree

Unless you use MultEQ-X where you wouldn't have to remeasure to set up different presets with reduced number of channels.

Reactions: OCA

rvsixer

Unless you use MultEQ-X where you wouldn't have to remeasure to set up different presets with reduced number of channels.
Good to know MultEQ-X can do this.
I myself couldn't/wouldn't spend $200USD just for adding a new speaker preset RC, when I could just run RC once and for free to achieve the same thing. But if I needed MultEQ-X for its other functionality, yes.

DrStranger

Can anyone tell me if all the 4k hdmi ports on the back are 120hz capable? I searched the manual but was unable to find it. I have a chance to buy this used, since the pricing of avr here where I live are insane I might considering to buy it.

Thanks.

tjcinnamon

Can anyone tell me if all the 4k hdmi ports on the back are 120hz capable? I searched the manual but was unable to find it. I have a chance to buy this used, since the pricing of avr here where I live are insane I might considering to buy it.

Thanks.
They are. I have a x4700 and run a PC with 120Hz 4K Variable Refresh Rate.

Top Bottom