• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.7%

• Total voters
Confusion over LFE with only LARGE floor standing main speakers.

I have a 4800. I have large floor standing main speakers capable of reproducing low bass at high volume with low distortion.

I do not have a subwoofer.

I was under the impression that if I have the fronts set to LARGE and tell the Denon I do not have a sub, the LFE channel would be sent to the large main speakers.

I am now told by some that this is incorrect. That the only way to get an LFE signal is actually to have a sub. That there is no setting that would allow the LFE channel to be sent to the large main speakers. None. Therefore, I am missing the LFE signal.

Is this correct? And, if not, if there is a way to have LFE sent to the main speakers if I don't have a sub, can you show me where in the manual or provide some other sort of "proof" or other info.

Thank you.
I think you can by using these two settings...LFE+Main and the LFE Distribution setting.

davidc

Forum Donor
I have the same set up. Using mostly the default settings with no sub, two front as large, no center and two surround as small. I’ve tested the LFE with one of the many Dolby test videos that are on YouTube, and in my tests the 4800 does play the LFE test signal on my front speakers.
Excellent. Thank you.

rynberg

Forum Donor
Excellent. Thank you.
Yes, it works just fine; it's unfortunate that so many ignorant people feel the need to spread misinfo/FUD. In fact, when you send LFE to the L+R mains, you will gain access to a new menu that controls the LFE volume level (0 to +10, with +10 being the "normal" setting) to limit extreme low frequency levels at your poor mains. I used the 0 setting ~24 years ago until I bought my first sub.

CapMan

Major Contributor
My X4800 is poorly - no sound from any speaker using any source, test tone doesn’t work, output channel on display is blank. Factory reset didn’t change anything . Denon think an amp may have gone :(

It’s gone for repair today.

Last edited:

EWL5

My X4800 is poorly - no sound from any speaker using any source, test tone doesn’t work, output channel on display is blank. Factory rest didn’t change anything . Denon think an amp may have gone :(

It’s gone for repair today.
Was this a new unit or used?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My X4800 is poorly - no sound from any speaker using any source, test tone doesn’t work, output channel on display is blank.
That super sucks ! Very sorry to hear of your bad luck. :facepalm:

pogo

Major Contributor
Which AVR impedance setting was used?

pogo

Major Contributor
You should use the 4Ohm position. You could have negatively influenced the MTBF.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should use the 4Ohm position. You could have negatively influenced the MTBF.

Nobody uses the 4ohm position on Denon AVR's as it drops available power significantly and is not required for use with most 4 ohm speakers. You also have the option to use amp assign with an external amp for the fronts. I would use an external amp instead if I felt the AVR was being pushed too hard.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nobody uses the 4ohm position on Denon AVR's as it drops available power significantly and is not required for use with most 4 ohm speakers. You also have the option to use amp assign with an external amp for the fronts. I would use an external amp instead if I felt the AVR was being pushed too hard.
He tended to get fixated on those buzz words (guess MTBF is the latest:D), and didn't seem to understand the devils in the details, so there is no convincing there, unfortunately. I tried, had to give up after trying a few time, we can still post more science based info to help others not getting misled inadvertently by those buzz words.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He tended to get fixated on those buzz words (guess MTBF is the latest:D), and didn't seem to understand the devils in the details, so there is no convincing there, unfortunately. I tried, had to give up after trying a few time, we can still post more science based info to help others not getting misled inadvertently by those buzz words.

MTBF = could be 5 seconds or 5 years. Lower end of scale is very possible when buying refurbished Denon AVR. Most Denon failures I have seen reported by users on ASR came with the lure of lower refurb pricing. A Refurb discount should be considered a risk premium. :facepalm::p:D

CapMan

Major Contributor
MTBF = could be 5 seconds or 5 years. Lower end of scale is very possible when buying refurbished Denon AVR. Most Denon failures I have seen reported by users on ASR came with the lure of lower refurb pricing. A Refurb discount should be considered a risk premium. :facepalm::p:D
I’ll let you all know what the service centre say.

Top Bottom