• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.7%

• Total voters

Voltron6000

I have an ancient Marantz SR8500 that I've loved for 17 years now. I've kept it going with external HDMI switches (cascaded!) and HDMI audio extractors. Now that the display has failed and I need HDMI 2.1 which my switches do not support, it's time to move on...

I'm eyeing the Denon x4800h which has gone on sale recently for $1400. Would this be a reasonable upgrade/sidegrade for the SR8500? I mostly watch movies but when I do listen to music, I really want it to sound good.

I'm running a 5.1 setup with B&W DM603 S3s for L/R and paired B&W speakers for center and surround (I forget the model numbers...). I have a Polk PSW505 sub.

supermood

hi maybe someone knows why I get an error trying to stream 360 reality sound from tidal via heos app to my 4800? Just tried to check the quality with a Playlist. not one Titel works, but should work 360 sound is on bord?

thanks!!

funkera91

I just picked the Denon AVR-X4800 up for $1700 from Best Buy (I had them price match from Amazon) and I'm very excited to get this puppy up and running. I'll report back once I've broke it in. Thanks for the review!
Hey, did you recieve it, how is performing in sttereo mode music?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious @Sancus, what is your reasoning for this opinion and statement?

Covered in depth in many other threads which I'm sure you're aware of, there's no good reason to post about it in this one.

RF Air

Forum Donor
Sorry, I have not seen a whole lot of posts for REL. I did not see anything stated here in this thread except for your comment about clowns. I'm not offended as an owner of REL products, was just wondering if there was something worth understanding with your statement. Honestly, just curious to know, with respect for your experience. Thanks!

D8hS

hi maybe someone knows why I get an error trying to stream 360 reality sound from tidal via heos app to my 4800? Just tried to check the quality with a Playlist. not one Titel works, but should work 360 sound is on bord?

thanks!!
I did some research on 360RA and the 4800 very recently and came to the conclusion it only works on a 3rd gen Amazon Fire Cube via HDMI.

Check out footnote #20

And there is this graphic

64-2.png

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
I asked this question in an other thread but was wondering which to choose the Denon AVR-X4008H or the Marantz Cinema 40 the insides look identical

Attachments

• Difficult purchase decision Marantz CINEMA 40 vs DENON x4800H vs Sony STR-AZ7000.  AVForums.png
    Difficult purchase decision Marantz CINEMA 40 vs DENON x4800H vs Sony STR-AZ7000. AVForums.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 74

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked this question in an other thread but was wondering which to choose the Denon AVR-X4008H or the Marantz Cinema 40 the insides look identical

Assuming you meant X4800H (4008 a typo?), as I suggested several times before, it is easy to choose if aesthetic is the most important factor, otherwise it is also easy to choose based on price.

As far as I can remember, the price difference between the two in Europe and Asia/Far East (such as Singapore) is not much, from $0 to
OIP.1WdtmoG4_Z39_Ii7MbVVLwHaHa
250 or less. So unless you are in North America, the Cinema 40 may be a slightly better choice not because of "sound quality" (those who reportedly hear the Marantz warm/musical sound most likely have the so called golden ears, or they are more prone to(influenced by) hearsay and marketing info), but because of the better looking build (such as the gold plated connectors) the C40 offers. It will likely run a little warmer and use a few cents more on energy because of the extra buffers (HDAMs).

In North America, the difference is about US$1,000. For such a ridiculous premium price, one would have to really love the look of the C40 and can't stand the look of the X4800H lol..

Descartes

Major Contributor
Assuming you meant X4800H (4008 a typo?), as I suggested several times before, it is easy to choose if aesthetic is the most important factor, otherwise it is also easy to choose based on price.

As far as I can remember, the price difference between the two in Europe and Asia/Far East (such as Singapore) is not much, from $0 to
OIP.1WdtmoG4_Z39_Ii7MbVVLwHaHa
250 or less. So unless you are in North America, the Cinema 40 may be a slightly better choice not because of "sound quality" (those who reportedly hear the Marantz warm/musical sound most likely have the so called golden ears, or they are more prone to(influenced by) hearsay and marketing info), but because of the better looking build (such as the gold plated connectors) the C40 offers. It will likely run a little warmer and use a few cents more on energy because of the extra buffers (HDAMs).

In North America, the difference is about US$1,000. For such a ridiculous premium price, one would have to really love the look of the C40 and can't stand the look of the X4800H lol..
I am in NA which is why I ask $1,000 is ridiculous especially if in Asia it is the same price!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am in NA which is why I ask $1,000 is ridiculous especially if in Asia it is the same price!
To me I will never buy it for $1000 more. In NA, at least in Canada, even the Cimema 70 costs more than the X3800H, and the C70 doesn't even have HDAMs, even if I consider that actually a plus, that is, less parts that could potentially add more THD+N.

If you can wait, I bet those Marantz will go on sale within the next few months. I have seen the SR7012/7013 gone to sales price well below the equivalent X4409/4500H before. So it may happen to the C40 vs X4800H too. The current $1000 premium is not sustainable, there are only so many audiophiles who would fall for the silly thing about the "Marantz sound" to the point they would chase such myths at any cost lol..

Last edited:

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Waiting to see the Denon 6800H
There's not much to see, to be honest. It's a 4800H with 2 more channels of amplification and processing, respectively. If you like the 3800/4800, but need 13 channels, the 6800 is for you...

Descartes

Major Contributor
My speakers are 4 Ohms will this AVR work or should I wait for the 6800H?

CapMan

Major Contributor
Still no DLBC though - many had speculated this might be released to coincide with Black Friday.

Top Bottom