• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 177 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.8%

• Total voters

dave999z

AirPlay2 is AAC only.
Interesting, seems per the Internet that Apple Music lossless is transcoded to 256kbps AAC over Airplay. That's lame.

On the Apple TV I think 44.1 is resampled to 48, which could have its own drawbacks.

phn

thx. since I have an apple music family account, I decided I'd go the route of getting a AppleTV (which supports 24-bit lossless), and connecting it to the DVR And there's an appleTV app, so....
This is what I've got as well. Also, using an ethernet cable to connect the box to house 1000mbits lan, just to be certain.

phn

^ Also recycled all my old HDMI cables while at it, HDMI 2.1 8K cables only so there will be no confusion. Despite having only 4K or HD sources, such as my old Bluray player and Sat box.

NoCoYeti

DEQ and DV do different things.

DEQ adjusts the frequency response of the system to compensate for how our hearing works at different volume levels. Hence why (at reference level) it does nothing at all.

And you can adjust the reference level offset so you can tune what level of DEQ works best for your content. For example, for me, FBI we watch with no DEQ. But S.W.A.T. with DEQ at RLO of 10dB.

DV reduces the dynamics of the sound. Great if you need to hear the doorbell. But effectively, in my opinion, the whole point in having HC equipment in my lounge instead of just TV sound is for DYNAMICS and IMPACT.

Sadly, someone who I won't call my friend somewhere decided that DEQ would also boost surround channels. This ruins the feature and means having to be more clever about its usage profile.
Hey @Dobbyisfree

I submitted this ticket to Audyssey in Oct 2022 asking...

Will you be adding the option to not boost the surrounds to DEQ?

They replied:

"Yes, in the next MultEQ-X release, we will be giving users an option to not boost the surrounds while using DEQ."

Then just last month I followed up and got this response:

Customer Support Team, Aug 11, 2023, 10:17 AM PDT:

We have given to the solution to Denon but it is up to them to implement it. Please put in a word with them so that they know how important it is.
Best Regards,
Audyssey Support

Does anyone know the appropriate method to contact Denon to get them to roll this out?

CapMan

Major Contributor
Hoping the 4800 is good - just pulled the trigger on one. Extra discount code at Richer Sounds in the UK took the price to £1399 which seems the best out there.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey @Dobbyisfree

I submitted this ticket to Audyssey in Oct 2022 asking...

Will you be adding the option to not boost the surrounds to DEQ?

They replied:

"Yes, in the next MultEQ-X release, we will be giving users an option to not boost the surrounds while using DEQ."

Then just last month I followed up and got this response:

Customer Support Team, Aug 11, 2023, 10:17 AM PDT:

We have given to the solution to Denon but it is up to them to implement it. Please put in a word with them so that they know how important it is.
Best Regards,
Audyssey Support

Does anyone know the appropriate method to contact Denon to get them to roll this out?
I may be wrong, as I am going by memory only, but if I am right, Denon's $20 app seemed to have reduced the boost already. That' because I felt the boost when I first got the AV8801 and X4400H, but not so much by the time I traded them in. Now I felt my Anthem boosted the surround noticeabley more than the X4400H did. Again, I can be wrong, it's subjective, and by momory only.

To contact Denon, I would think the first step is to contact customer support and ask them the same question. I understand they do provide a phone number so that nay be a better option. Waiting on the phone will still be quicker than waiting for their reply email.

Also, if you are keen on this issue, make the same request on Marantz as well, just let them know you are considering their avr, but want to know if they will fix the surround channel overboost issue.

rocketroberto

Interesting, seems per the Internet that Apple Music lossless is transcoded to 256kbps AAC over Airplay. That's lame.

On the Apple TV I think 44.1 is resampled to 48, which could have its own drawbacks.
yes, so I since realized the BEST way to access apple music and run it into an AVR, is with a Mac, as that let's you keep it set at 44.1 And there's a very good itunes-remote app for iOS, so one can still sit on the sofa. Sigh.....

CapMan

Major Contributor
The 192 kHz shows how good it could be with a perfect filter. Still not great by desktop standards but much better than what we see at 48 kHz.
Re @amirm comments on 192kHz sampling helping to ameliorate some of the filter response issues on the 4800 I wonder whether it would be advised to use the upsampling function in Roon to send 192kHz streams (I will be using a Roon endpoint via coax/toslink into the digital input of the 4800.

pogo

Major Contributor
Does Denon also process 192kHz without downsampling under Dirac Live?

popej

DSP seems to work at 96kHz. Filter problem is probably specific only to pure direct mode with digital input. Why would anyone use this?

rocketroberto

DSP seems to work at 96kHz. Filter problem is probably specific only to pure direct mode with digital input. Why would anyone use this?
If I’m running audio in via hdmi (mac mini) and I’m using external amps, would that use pure-direct mode and be considered digital input?

popej

You have to manually select "pure" mode to get direct or pure direct playback.

After some rethinking: I don't know, what is DSP frequency, when input signal is 44 or 48kHz. DSP could resample to 96kHz or switch to input frequency.

Armin's measurements are interestig and show how different parts of AVR are working, but I wish we can get a real life measurement too. Like 5W output with HDMI input but with DSP active. At least with bass management and maybe room correction set to L/R bypass.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Re @amirm comments on 192kHz sampling helping to ameliorate some of the filter response issues on the 4800 I wonder whether it would be advised to use the upsampling function in Roon to send 192kHz streams (I will be using a Roon endpoint via coax/toslink into the digital input of the 4800.
Hot take, I know, but if you're planning to use Roon, just sell the 4800 and swap out to an RZ70.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That’s more than double the price (£3K) so no can do!
Ah. That's a good price for the 4800H. They are much closer in price in the states, particularly when accounting for the cost of the Dirac Live license and the need for an outboard Roon endpoint.

CapMan

Major Contributor
Question to owners - my 4800 arrived and I have set up. When it starts up I get relay clicks like my previous Marantz but also a short 0.5s metallic buzz from the area around the transformers. Sounds like the noise an old door bell makes when you hold the ringer plates.

the box has definitely been stood on its end as the polystyrene cracked and broken on one end.

Edit - it’s only on startup and is intermittent, not every start up

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Question to owners - my 4800 arrived and I have set up. When it starts up I get relay clicks like my previous Marantz but also a short 0.5s metallic buzz from the area around the transformers. Sounds like the noise an old door bell makes when you hold the ringer plates.

the box has definitely been stood on its end as the polystyrene cracked and broken on one end.

Edit - it’s only on startup and is intermittent, not every start up
Congrats on the arrival of the new avr!
Did that 0.5s buzz from around the transformer happen every time on start up, or just that one time? If it happens just once, or very occasionally then it is likely normal, due to high inrush current.

Last edited:

CapMan

Major Contributor
Congrats on the arrival of the new avr!
Did that 0.5s buzz from around the transformer happen every time on start up, or just that one time? If it happens just once, or very occasionally then it is likely normal, due to high inrush current.
Thanks for the congrats - it’s sounding great and frankly no different to my more expensive and existing ‘HiFi’ amps.

I’d say it happens 2/3s of the time.

Is there an easy way to post a video?

Preference is to get another unit and see if that resolves it. If it’s the same buzz I guess it’s just a made in Japan feature ;)

Edit - it happens mostly every start up unless I power cycle off and on relatively quickly.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the congrats - it’s sounding great and frankly no different to my more expensive and existing ‘HiFi’ amps.

I’d say it happens 2/3s of the time.

Is there an easy way to post a video?

Preference is to get another unit and see if that resolves it. If it’s the same buzz I guess it’s just a made in Japan feature ;)

There is always going to be a buzz, unless Denon uses a really good soft start feature. I memember all my Denon and Marantz had the buzz too but not very loud. The louder ones should be rare because it would happen when you turn it on right at the time the incoming voltage is at 0 volt, and the residual magnetic flux is in opposite polarity. You can google transformer inrush current for the details.

Even my big Paraound A21 and Bryston 4B SST had the power on buzz, and light dimming too.

I think video files could be too big to post but you can record a short audio clip using your phone and post the file, that should be easier to do.

Top Bottom