• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 71 21.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 181 54.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 73 21.8%

• Total voters
The software upgrade applied on my 4800. Will have a play over the weekend

Great value if you want DLBC (spoiler- I do)

I'm UK but will convert to $ for illustration. The x4800 can be had here for $1849 and both Dirac and DLBC (multi) came to $604 (BF and Intro deals).
So that's $2453.

Other than Marantz the only other 'budget-friendly' AVR options with the DLBC (UK) are Onkyo RZ70 and Pioneer VSA LX805 with both retail at $3950 and you still have to buy the DLBC licence on top.

Great value if you want DLBC (spoiler- I do)

I'm UK but will convert to $ for illustration. The x4800 can be had here for $1849 and both Dirac and DLBC (multi) came to $604 (BF and Intro deals).
So that's $2453.

Other than Marantz the only other 'budget-friendly' AVR options with the DLBC (UK) are Onkyo RZ70 and Pioneer VSA LX805 with both retail at $3950 and you still have to buy the DLBC licence on top.
Not sure where you saw that price for the RZ70, but it's $2800 on Amazon, which is the MSRP. You still have to spend at least $350 for DLBC on top of that ($500 for multi-sub). The Denon AVRs are a tremendous value for Dirac/DLBC indeed.

Is there any consensus on whether Dirac DLBC is worth the $350 (sale price) upgrade? Reviews and other online commentary are mixed in terms of results and value.

For example, I already have these results, which can be further improved using tools I already own (crossover at 80Hz) and already sounds great:

F206 Dirac Custom Full Left Right.png

F206 Dirac Custom Full Left Right Psy.png

Hi Steve - My F206s have arrived so I will be able to try DLBC over the holiday period. Different room so mileage may vary!

Is there any consensus on whether Dirac DLBC is worth the $350 (sale price) upgrade? Reviews and other online commentary are mixed in terms of results and value.
Will it make a big difference in terms of what you hear? Not necessarily. The 30% discount is nice and you will need a DLBC license if you intend to upgrade to ART down the line. You can also run DL-only and DL+DLBC on separate slots and A/B them. If you don't like it or hear any notable difference, you can email Dirac to ask for a refund.

Not sure where you saw that price for the RZ70, but it's $2800 on Amazon, which is the MSRP. You still have to spend at least $350 for DLBC on top of that ($500 for multi-sub). The Denon AVRs are a tremendous value for Dirac/DLBC indeed.
Literally just googled the availabilty of the unit in UK, then converted to USD. You'll find other rates in US.

Roon Ready coming soon...
Screenshot_2023-12-14-23-16-37-654_com.roon.mobile1x~01.jpg
Screenshot_2023-12-14-23-14-31-314_com.roon.mobile1x~01.jpg

Translation: Unfortunately, the manufacturer has not yet completed the certification of this device.

P.s. I use Roon Remote Legacy and Roon Server 1.8.

Can anyone check with the latest version of Roon Server?

Last edited:
All current NAD devices have two independent sub outs and will soon get DLBC.
The M66 even is 2.4 able.
How soon? :) I have been waiting for DLBC on M33 for close to 2 years (and this was promised to be really-soon-now then)

My Denon X4800h is also Roon uncertified. Hope that it becomes certified. If anyone has additional information, please post

My Denon X4800h is also Roon uncertified. Hope that it becomes certified. If anyone has additional information, please post
The fact that it's showing up as an uncertified Roon Ready endpoint means that D+M have implemented RAAT in the newest firmware version and we are just waiting for it to be enabled on the Roon Remote side, which I imagine will happen by December 20th (same time as the announcement on Audioholics).

Can someone confirm if there is any difference in using the digital coax input vs the optical toslink input on the the X4800H? I want to connect a Wiim Pro to the AVR to use as my music streamer, and I'm not sure if there are any considerations between the two that I should be aware of? This could be related to digital signal capabilities for hifi audio signals, or it could simply be in terms of simplicity of switching between sources on the AVR.

The fact that it's showing up as an uncertified Roon Ready endpoint means that D+M have implemented RAAT in the newest firmware version and we are just waiting for it to be enabled on the Roon Remote side, which I imagine will happen by December 20th (same time as the announcement on Audioholics).
I was trying to find the announcement on Audioholics you reference. Could you please share a link if possible? Thanks.

I was trying to find the announcement on Audioholics you reference. Could you please share a link if possible? Thanks.
Here it is:

Back
Top Bottom