• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 83 18.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 209 47.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 120 27.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 7.2%

• Total voters

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Was the output impedance of this models preouts mentioned/measured anywhere?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Was the output impedance of this models preouts mentioned/measured anywhere?
If I remember right Amir measured, or at least "mentioned" output impedance in one of its predecessors. Given that the preamp section basically remains the same except the DAC chip, the output impedance should be about the same as the older models.

Last edited:

Tatalor51

Hi,

Just recently got a Denon x3800h and was trying to test 2 pairs of speakers. Binded one on Front and other on High2 post, positioned them in the room and ran separate calibrations through the MultEQ paid app. The 2 calibration files were sent to Preset 1 and Preset 2.

And now the issue: all works fine with Preset 1 selected but when i select Preset 2 right after I sent it, this happens:

1. Audyssey on Audio is greyed out and with the comment that i must perform Audyssey before using. Funny thing, the distances and subwoofer volume are correct when I check

2. Crossover keeps reversing to Full Range even if I set to 80hz. Kinda found a solution to this: if I select Preset 1, which has it set to 80hz and then reselect Preset 2, it stays at 80.

This looks like very buggy behavior to me but not sure if I'm doing something wrong or missing anything.

Thanks

ricardo.vix

Hello guys! My current receiver is a Denon X3400H and I would like to know if worth upgrade to an x3800h, because I saw that the audyssey is much better since x3700h.

My setup is 5.1.2 and it's installed in a room with 2,64m (8,7ft) X 3,35m (11ft, total of 8,85m² / 95 sqft), ceilings with 2,5m (8,2ft) and I used to watch movies, tv shows and games (computer and playstation 5).

Do you think I would benefit with this upgrade or it's not worth it? Thanks!

Receiver: Denon AVR-X3400H
Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
Front: KEF R300
Center: KEF R600C
Atmos: KEF Q50A
Surround: MA Silver FX
Subwoofer: Sunfire HRS-10

ban25

Hello guys! My current receiver is a Denon X3400H and I would like to know if worth upgrade to an x3800h, because I saw that the audyssey is much better since x3700h.

My setup is 5.1.2 and it's installed in a room with 2,64m (8,7ft) X 3,35m (11ft, total of 8,85m² / 95 sqft), ceilings with 2,5m (8,2ft) and I used to watch movies, tv shows and games (computer and playstation 5).

Do you think I would benefit with this upgrade or it's not worth it? Thanks!

Receiver: Denon AVR-X3400H
Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
Front: KEF R300
Center: KEF R600C
Atmos: KEF Q50A
Surround: MA Silver FX
Subwoofer: Sunfire HRS-10
The X3800H would constitute a substantial upgrade for you. For one thing, HDMI 2.1 switching will let you output 4K120 from both your PS5 and PC. You will also have the option of upgrading to Dirac Live. You can add 3 additional subwoofers. The 3800 also has an updated 1080p OSD (from 480p).

ricardo.vix

The X3800H would constitute a substantial upgrade for you. For one thing, HDMI 2.1 switching will let you output 4K120 from both your PS5 and PC. You will also have the option of upgrading to Dirac Live. You can add 3 additional subwoofers. The 3800 also has an updated 1080p OSD (from 480p).

But in terms of sound quality (which is what I'm worried), do you think it will improve?

delta76

Major Contributor
But in terms of sound quality (which is what I'm worried), do you think it will improve?
no, you won't hear it - the difference would be very small. Unless if you use more sub and/or engage dirac, there might be an audible difference
I upgraded from x3400h to x4700h - and noticed how smoother the experience is - for example eARC. Can't hear any difference at all.

NainSG

I had a good opportunity to buy the x3800h coming from a x3400h so I bought it and I'm waiting the Dirac Black Friday offer to test something new.

Otherwise, I haven't heard any improvement but I use the Audyssey App to tweak the sound anyway so if Audyssey was automatically better I wouldn't noticed.

onion

Has DLBC come out for the X3800h? When I go to the shop, I can't find it even though it has been announced by denon here

NainSG

No, it hasn't been announced yet, the webpage is online but hidden. It's possible they'll wait till the end of the Black Friday deals to announce it to force the early adopters to pay the full price.

K.Kevin

I have a Denon x3800h but considering whether I need x4800h. Are these receivers considered “high current” enough?

I have a 5.1.4 setup. All my speakers are reasonably easy to drive except for my L/R fronts. Do I need a power amp?

My fronts are 4ohm speakers that have dips between 90-400hz down to 3ohm. Everywhere else is 4ohms or higher. They are rated 86db sensitive for 2.83v.

After the speakers are calibrated using Audyssey, my listening level is -30db to -25db. On some occasions I have gone to -20db, but mostly when the source content seems quieter than usual. I have never exceeded -20db, ever.

reference is defined as 85db average, and 105db peaks. This suggests that for my usage, I need power to get to 65db averages and 85db peaks.

Using the online SPL calculator, I input the speakers as 83db sensitive, because the 2.83v required for 86db is 2 watts, rather than 1. I only calculate one speaker, away from walls, 12.5 feet away. Under these parameters, I only need 25 watts per channel for the fronts. To have 3db or 6db headroom I need 50 or 100 watts.

because of that, I used an old receiver to power all 6 of my surround speakers. The Denon is only powering the front 3. Which, according to ASR bench tests should net me at least 100w per channel.

I later learned from reading threads here that it’s not so simple. It’s not just watts I need, but I need a “high current” amplifier to drive my low impedance speakers properly. So even though I have 100 watts, it’s Still not enough?

So, what now? Does a x4800h provide sufficient current? If I offload the center speaker to the old external receiver, the Denon should theoretically provide 170 watts to the front LR speakers. Is that STILL not enough to compensate for low current? Do I need an external amp for the fronts?

Based on what you are describing, if you are satisfied with the features and functionality provided by x3800h and the issue is only with the amount of power delivered for L/C/R channels, I would recommend you to check Buckeye 3 channel NCx500 (https://www.buckeyeamp.com/shop/p/hypex-ncx500-amplifier-3-channel) series
or Purifi 1et400a series (https://www.buckeyeamp.com/shop/p/purifi-1et400a-amplifier-3-channel), -- this is not a brand promotion; just a cost-effective recommendation, you can do this with any other preferred amp choice.

You will have to configure your x3800h to indicate that L/C/Rs are powered externally. This would be the starting point rather than buying x4800h.

it would be great if could post the exact model of your L/C/R speakers.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I have a Denon x3800h but considering whether I need x4800h. Are these receivers considered “high current” enough?

I have a 5.1.4 setup. All my speakers are reasonably easy to drive except for my L/R fronts. Do I need a power amp?

My fronts are 4ohm speakers that have dips between 90-400hz down to 3ohm. Everywhere else is 4ohms or higher. They are rated 86db sensitive for 2.83v.

After the speakers are calibrated using Audyssey, my listening level is -30db to -25db. On some occasions I have gone to -20db, but mostly when the source content seems quieter than usual. I have never exceeded -20db, ever.

reference is defined as 85db average, and 105db peaks. This suggests that for my usage, I need power to get to 65db averages and 85db peaks.

Using the online SPL calculator, I input the speakers as 83db sensitive, because the 2.83v required for 86db is 2 watts, rather than 1. I only calculate one speaker, away from walls, 12.5 feet away. Under these parameters, I only need 25 watts per channel for the fronts. To have 3db or 6db headroom I need 50 or 100 watts.

because of that, I used an old receiver to power all 6 of my surround speakers. The Denon is only powering the front 3. Which, according to ASR bench tests should net me at least 100w per channel.

I later learned from reading threads here that it’s not so simple. It’s not just watts I need, but I need a “high current” amplifier to drive my low impedance speakers properly. So even though I have 100 watts, it’s Still not enough?

So, what now? Does a x4800h provide sufficient current? If I offload the center speaker to the old external receiver, the Denon should theoretically provide 170 watts to the front LR speakers. Is that STILL not enough to compensate for low current? Do I need an external amp for the fronts?
As Peng and as you also outlined. Your X3800 will be fine. However if you ever want to drive your speakers harder the easiest solution and also a good long term solution is adding power amps (and the one recommended by the previous poster are very good). Start with the X3800 listen and then decide to add power amps.

I also have very clean power amps attached to my AVR. The AVR technology evolves quicker and I simply exchange the AVR (currently X3700, waiting for X3900 ;-))) and keep the power amps to drive my KEF Reference 3. And I can tell you the effect of adding the power amps was quite underwhelming, so think wisely before spending the money.

siggen

Similar question as another poster. I have the avr-x4300h and looking at current models. Is there anything I will gain? I run a nice external amp, so power is not an issue. TV is 4k, so 8k not needed.

a. For sound quality, would it better to get these or a Wiim Pro Plus (which would also help in (b) below.)

b. I do use Tidal, and hate using the HEOS app for it. Do the newer models have a newer HEOS app or is the same UI ? I use an nvidia shield as my tidal connect endpoint from my tidal app on phone. This means both shield and TV have to be on as well. Would be nice to just have a good audio only UI for Tidal from phone to AVR.

c. Also, I have 2 up firing speakers for front dolby atmos, but the sounds effects are always ehh. Is there any difference in Atmos implementation in the newer units?

d. Any longevity issues with the older AVR? Its now several years old but runs like a champ. I guess I'm just bitten by Black Friday sales :)

Thx!

ban25

c. Also, I have 2 up firing speakers for front dolby atmos, but the sounds effects are always ehh. Is there any difference in Atmos implementation in the newer units?
Upfiring is a gimmick where people see "DD Atmos" on their front-panel display and then imagine sounds are coming from above. :D

Just disconnect the upfiring speakers and sell them.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Similar question as another poster. I have the avr-x4300h and looking at current models. Is there anything I will gain? I run a nice external amp, so power is not an issue. TV is 4k, so 8k not needed.

a. For sound quality, would it better to get these or a Wiim Pro Plus (which would also help in (b) below.)

b. I do use Tidal, and hate using the HEOS app for it. Do the newer models have a newer HEOS app or is the same UI ? I use an nvidia shield as my tidal connect endpoint from my tidal app on phone. This means both shield and TV have to be on as well. Would be nice to just have a good audio only UI for Tidal from phone to AVR.

d. Any longevity issues with the older AVR? Its now several years old but runs like a champ. I guess I'm just bitten by Black Friday sales :)

Thx!
a) No. No difference in sound quality from an electronic point of view. H o w e v e r …. the new models offer better room correction algorithms and a better user interface to tweak your preference curve (eg MultiEQX or even Dirac).

b) I presume it is the same Heos app. However you don’t need to use that app (I certainly don’t) to stream Tidal. Just use a UPnP “streamer” such as mconnectHD for iOS. I use it with Quobuz.

c) Already answered above.

d) Sorry can’t tell. So far I haven’t come much complaints here.

G-Can

hey crew, I would really appreciate some input, Ive been loorking this forum for a while, but just recently registered.

I know Amir hasnt given "recomend" mark, for X3700 and X3800 denons, but Ive read somewhere thats only important if you are running external amplification, which I am not.

Currently I own Marantz SR5010, and have an itch due to current sales/discounts, to upgrade from current 5.1.2 setup at home to a 5.1.4, (cant go 7.1.2 or 4 due to space contraints) as well to get a general upgrade in sound, I never seem to get Audysey to make me a sound Id like or expect. I have a for LCR: Kef Q300+Q600, rear KEF Q100, and for current 2 atmos speakers I have some little polk bookshelfs I have between trussers firing downwatd above listening couch. Planing on removine those and getting 4 of same atmos speakers.

I have narrowed it down to Onkyo NR7100 and Denon X3800H. What it seems is that for Denon to ger DIrac I would need to pay $300 extraon top of the price of AVR?
while Onkyo comes with DIrac included in price of AVR. Is that correct?

I am leaning hard towards Onkyo, but I need some solid pro and con.

M4_Carbon

Hi all, newbie audiophile - bought the 3800 + Dirac full bandwidth - and Sony AN1000. Currently comparing them side by side. Totally torn. I'm new to calibration so would appreciate some advice.

Is it possible to reduce the harsh brightness of the 3800? I've reduced the treble of the Harmon curve (max -3db) in Dirac for F+C. And I've also increased the mid range by +10db to balance out the treble. It's definitely better, but I still find it fatiguing at the moment.

I really don't want the Sony - build quality is worse, it's a little buggy, and sound separation/musicality isn't as good as the 3800. BUT overall, the movie experience with 360 spatial sound mapping hmm, I can't explain it - overall immersion is better. Really is. Music is good too (not as technical as the 3800, but overall a very enjoyable/easy listen).

I have KEF5005 speakers and a Rel T1 5.1 setup. I also have a Sib Evo 5.1 package that I wanted to integrate with the Denon - but I first wanted to compare the 3800 to the AN1000 like for like before making the decision to add more speakers.

My current thoughts - Auro (or DTS X/Virtual) cannot compete with Sony 360 spatial sound mapping. I think it is doing something similar to what Dirac ART intends to do. But the cost of DIRAC ART is prohibitive (if it becomes available or supported on the 3800). I'm in the UK and the best Sony I can get is the entry level AN1000. Both the Sony and 3800 (including Dirac full bandwidth) are the same price.

Thoughts appreciated from anyone on how I can fine tune the 3800 to remove the harshness as I really want to keep it!

Top Bottom