• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 83 18.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 209 47.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 120 27.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 7.2%

• Total voters

dlaloum

Major Contributor
no, BBC dip is based on how human react to the frequency. human likes BBC dip so speaker is designed to match that dip. Not other way around. of course, you can design or move the dip anywhere, that does not mean human like that non-BBC dip.

" Since our ears are extra sensitive in this region to frequency and phase shifts, speaker crossovers between tweeters and midrange drivers can create harshness if this dip is not introduced. This can especially affect voices and therefore can be distracting."

1) the human ear is especially sensitive within that frequency range
2) this is a common frequency at which crossovers are often located
3) The crossover generated distortions are then interpreted by our ear as harshness - hence the BBC specified a dip at this frequency to reduce the harshness...BUT - this harshness only happens IF a crossover is located in that frequency range. - if there is no crossover, or the crossover is at a different frequency, then you bear the audible cost of the dip, without any of the benefits

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And the BBC dip reduces that range - resulting in dailogue clarity issues.... no surprises

As usual, the Simplehomecinema.com site did not disappoint!

I would add that for those who want to know the real reasons for the BBC dip in the 1960'/70's, they can try and get an answer from the horse's mouth, such as those directly involved, example:

May be @amirm can get an answer from Alan Shaw, or interview him.:)

and/or join the debates in threads (there must be a few) such as the following:

For those who want to know whether they need that dip, it is quite easy to:

- Run REW (I would do it from 1 meter, or outdoor) to see the FR. That should tell you if there is that shallow dip (2-3 dB) at the crossover point and where it lies.
- Use MultEQ X, as dlaloum mentioned, to implement such a "BBC dip" in that frequency range (as shown by the REW FR curve).

Then one can do their own listening test to find out if it sound better with vs without the dip.

If MultEQ X is not available, it should be easy enough to do it manually with PEQ.

I quickly checked a Harbeth and a B&W speakers that Amir measured, and they don't have such a dip at the crossover point, not at 2 kHz anyway but they seem to have a dip at much below the XO point. Also checked the LS50, also no such dip at the XO, but again, have one at freq much below that.

It seems to me, as others alluded to, speakers designed in recent years likely won't benefit from Audyssey's default dip, and can potentially made worse with it, though it is possible that implementing one at frequencies based not on 2 kHz, but on frequencies shown in the REW plots may (or may not) have merits, depending on the individual's preference.

Example curve, for the B&W 805S:

Crossover: 4,000 Hz
Dip: Seems to be at around 2,500 Hz

index.php

Last edited:
Reactions: QSi

EWL5

If I were to purchase the UMIK-1 and the $20 app, should that tide me over until DL license goes on sale?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I were to purchase the UMIK-1 and the $20 app, should that tide me over until DL license goes on sale?

In my opinion, yes, assuming you will be using REW with the Mic too. Just keep in mind if you want to achieve not only good audible results but also pretty curves, you may have to spend a lot of time (potentially many hours) using the $20 app, vs the $200 MultEQ X app. If you are not keen on pretty curves, a couple of hours should get you good enough results.

EWL5

In my opinion, yes, assuming you will be using REW with the Mic too. Just keep in mind if you want to achieve not only good audible results but also pretty curves, you may have to spend a lot of time (potentially many hours) using the $20 app, vs the $200 MultEQ X app. If you are not keen on pretty curves, a couple of hours should get you good enough results.
I've seen REW mentioned a couple times but I have no idea what it is!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen REW mentioned a couple times but I have no idea what it is!

It is easy to learn and use, as there are many helpful posts, and YT videos. It let you pot frequency response curves, among many other useful curves. All those Audyssey, Anthem ARC, and even Dirac Live's predicted curves are useful, but they do differ quite a bit with the actual measured response curves.

Example of comparison for REW measured curve vs Audyssey's predicted curves:

Example of a tutorial for dummies, by Amir:

EWL5

It is easy to learn and use, as there are many helpful posts, and YT videos. It let you pot frequency response curves, among many other useful curves. All those Audyssey, Anthem ARC, and even Dirac Live's predicted curves are useful, but they do differ quite a bit with the actual measured response curves.

Example of comparison for REW measured curve vs Audyssey's predicted curves:

Example of a tutorial for dummies, by Amir:
To be honest, I don't have a lot of time to fiddle with REW and to make curves pretty. I'd like for it to be as automated as possible, which is what made Dirac Live so attractive to me. Am I wrong in understanding that DL requires the least amount of fiddling after a calibration?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest, I don't have a lot of time to fiddle with REW and to make curves pretty. I'd like for it to be as automated as possible, which is what made Dirac Live so attractive to me. Am I wrong in understanding that DL requires the least amount of fiddling after a calibration?

I mentioned REW but you asked "If I were to purchase the UMIK-1 and the $20 app, should that tide me over until DL license goes on sale?"

So I thought you would use REW. If you just want to use the $20 app on its own, then you don't need to purchase the Umik-1 mic. You only need one when you are ready to purchase the Dirac Live license.

About your new question, in my experience, DL does require the least amount of fiddling after a calibration. With Audyssey, you likely would have to tilt the bass up a little, disable MRC and play with the HF roll off curves. If you only want to correct/eq to below 2000 Hz, then even with Audyssey, you probably only have to tilt the bass curve, bump the sub level up a few dB and you are done, so no much fiddling required either.

EWL5

I mentioned REW but you asked "If I were to purchase the UMIK-1 and the $20 app, should that tide me over until DL license goes on sale?"

So I thought you would use REW. If you just want to use the $20 app on its own, then you don't need to purchase the Umik-1 mic. You only need one when you are ready to purchase the Dirac Live license.

About your new question, in my experience, DL does require the least amount of fiddling after a calibration. With Audyssey, you likely would have to tilt the bass up a little, disable MRC and play with the HF roll off curves. If you only want to correct/eq to below 2000 Hz, then even with Audyssey, you probably only have to tilt the bass curve, bump the sub level up a few dB and you are done, so no much fiddling required either.
My reasoning behind purchasing the UMIK-1 is with the thinking that it can only make for a better calibration regardless of whether I go with Audyssey or DL vs the puck that comes in the box. Are you saying it won't make a difference when using the $20 app?

susanstone

" Since our ears are extra sensitive in this region to frequency and phase shifts, speaker crossovers between tweeters and midrange drivers can create harshness if this dip is not introduced. This can especially affect voices and therefore can be distracting."

1) the human ear is especially sensitive within that frequency range
2) this is a common frequency at which crossovers are often located
3) The crossover generated distortions are then interpreted by our ear as harshness - hence the BBC specified a dip at this frequency to reduce the harshness...BUT - this harshness only happens IF a crossover is located in that frequency range. - if there is no crossover, or the crossover is at a different frequency, then you bear the audible cost of the dip, without any of the benefits
I don't think it is the crossover cause the problem. otherwise, speaker designer can just move the crossover to a different location. It is the other way around, because of human ears are sensitive in this region, your speaker is designed to do crossover or dip at that location. If you make the speaker flat on this frequency range, your speaker will sound harsh. Look at Peng's 805 graph, crossover is at 4000, but dip is still around 2.x kHz. In general, human prefer what they hear with BBC dip. It does not matter how you achieve it, by speaker design or by manipulating/filtering the output. If the speakers for whatever reason don't have that dip and AVR doesn't compensate it, the sound won't be good to ordinary people.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My reasoning behind purchasing the UMIK-1 is with the thinking that it can only make for a better calibration regardless of whether I go with Audyssey or DL vs the puck that comes in the box. Are you saying it won't make a difference when using the $20 app?
Audyssey only works with the puck attached directly to the AVR (even with the mobile app or MultEQ-X). You can't use the UMIK-1 with Audyssey, only REW and Dirac.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't believe it would make a differene. The mic that came with the unit is not individually calibrated but I have used those for years, and have not seen any evidence the Umik-1 would produce audibly better results.

People's claims are, like mine, just claims...

EWL5

Audyssey only works with the puck attached directly to the AVR (even with the mobile app or MultEQ-X). You can't use the UMIK-1 with Audyssey, only REW and Dirac.
Taking a hard look at the product page, I only just realized it's a USB connection from the UMIK-1 (presumably to a PC and most likely a laptop).

This is good info as I may just forgo buying the app and go straight to the UMIK-1/Dirac expense. Do most folks buy the mic direct from the miniDSP site or is it possible to get it cheaper somewhere else?

EWL5

I don't believe it would make a differene. The mic that came with the unit is not individually calibrated but I have used those for years, and have not seen any evidence the Umik-1 would produce audibly better results.

Would an older USB microphone from my Rockband/Guitar Hero days work as well as the UMIK-1?

jhwalker

I don't think it is the crossover cause the problem. otherwise, speaker designer can just move the crossover to a different location. It is the other way around, because of human ears are sensitive in this region, your speaker is designed to do crossover or dip at that location. If you make the speaker flat on this frequency range, your speaker will sound harsh. Look at Peng's 805 graph, crossover is at 4000, but dip is still around 2.x kHz. In general, human prefer what they hear with BBC dip. It does not matter how you achieve it, by speaker design or by manipulating/filtering the output. If the speakers for whatever reason don't have that dip and AVR doesn't compensate it, the sound won't be good to ordinary people.
My Revel F208s measure with a dip precisely at 2.2kHz (i.e., right at their crossover).

So for me, the Audyssey MRC is not needed and, in fact, would be detrimental.

Image 7-26-23 at 11.49 AM.jpg

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Taking a hard look at the product page, I only just realized it's a USB connection from the UMIK-1 (presumably to a PC and most likely a laptop).

This is good info as I may just forgo buying the app and go straight to the UMIK-1/Dirac expense. Do most folks buy the mic direct from the miniDSP site or is it possible to get it cheaper somewhere else?
I bought mine from Amazon, but I think it's probably about the same price.

susanstone

My Revel F208s measure with a dip precisely at 2.2kHz (i.e., right at their crossover).

So for me, the Audyssey MRC is not needed and, in fact, would be detrimental.

View attachment 301526
Yes. this makes sense to use speaker dip. However, do you disable MRC or exclude the frequency from Audyssey? or both? If you only disable MRC but don't exclude the frequency, you end up with a flatten curve instead of dip.

jhwalker

Yes. this makes sense to use speaker dip. However, do you disable MRC or exclude the frequency from Audyssey? or both? If you only disable MRC but don't exclude the frequency, you end up with a flatten curve instead of dip.
Personally, I use the app to

1) turn off MRC
2) limit correction range to <400Hz for all speakers

My speakers don’t need “correction” other than in the bass range, for best integration with subwoofers.

susanstone

Personally, I use the app to

1) turn off MRC
2) limit correction range to <400Hz for all speakers

My speakers don’t need “correction” other than in the bass range, for best integration with subwoofers.
yeah. that is my understanding. when limiting correction range, it does not matter MRC is on or off.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Below 1KHz most microphones are fairly accurate and i don’t think you should engage Room EQ above that but rather just buy decent speakers from the begining.

I understand your rationale.

Top Bottom