• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

SlowCar

I dont know anything about apple but does the device your using have EQ? It could be adding extra bass?
As far as I can check I don't see anything EQed - additional I think that AirPlay should just simply stream content (no additional processing on iPad side)

ABall

Forum Donor
Maybe someone with Airplay can confirm, I would be surprised if an iPad didnt have the option of EQ. Good luck man. Oh by the way, have you checked the tone control settings on the 3700? They were off on mine by default though.

SlowCar

Maybe someone with Airplay can confirm, I would be surprised if an iPad didnt have the option of EQ. Good luck man. Oh by the way, have you checked the tone control settings on the 3700? They were off on mine by default though.
Where is it?

ABall

Forum Donor
Where is it?
Press OPTION.
An option menu screen is displayed.
When the input source is “HEOS Music”, an option menu for online music is displayed. Select “AVR Options…”, then press ENTER.
Use
shirosankaku
shirosankaku-Reverse
to select “Tone”, then press ENTER.
The “Tone” screen is displayed.
Use
White-Arrow-Left
White-Arrow-Right
to set the tone control function to on/off.
On:Allow tone adjustment (bass, treble).
Off
(Default):
Playback without tone adjustment.
Select “On” in step 3 and press
shirosankaku-Reverse
to select the sound range to be adjusted.
Bass:Adjust bass.
Treble:Adjust treble.
Use
White-Arrow-Left
White-Arrow-Right
to adjust the tone, then press ENTER.
-6 dB – +6 dB (Default : 0 dB)

“Tone” settings are stored for each input source.
This cannot be set when the sound mode is set to “Direct” or “Pure Direct”.
This item cannot be set when “Dynamic EQ” is set to “On”. link
You cannot set this when no audio signal is input or in the menu “HDMI Audio Out” is set to “TV”. link

It's not just in Heos mode though, I found the tone control menue when I connected an echo dot to the bluetooth input, very handy.

DrStranger

I just plug everything into the AVR. Never had issues (knock on wood).

Plus if you don't, you can't get the AVR's OSD.
I am not sure I follow? If you plug in the TV to the Monitor you get the OSD of the AVR? What does that have to do with separating up non-HDMI (video capable) gear to AVR and video capable gear direct to the TV and push the sound to the AVR from TV to eARC on the AVR? Out of curiosity, does the web interface of the 3700 not give you the same as OSD menu in terms of options and settings?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm saying if you don't have your video go through the AVR, you can't get the OSD. That annoys some people and it would probably annoy me. I have never used the web interface, but in theory it would be worth looking into. Sometimes people just want to check the input format, the active speakers, if they have Audyssey on, what the volume level is, if Eco mode is on or off, those kinds of things.

N1ck

They’re mostly £1050 up from £975 a month ago. Also companies such as Richersounds have stopped including a 6 year warranty as standard. £75 more with 4 years less warranty. Prices seem to be going up.

ABall

Forum Donor
They’re mostly £1050 up from £975 a month ago. Also companies such as Richersounds have stopped including a 6 year warranty as standard. £75 more with 4 years less warranty. Prices seem to be going up.
There are still the odd company doing it for 1299 but its pointless when it can still be found for 999 with stock, IE, Canterbury Hifi, Ortons. Richersounds have always offered an extra 5 years warranty for 10%, Its no surprise they stopped when they had to compete with falling prices, they are now loosing 250 quid off the top.

I think they were in very short supply a month ago because I have been waiting for many months, we havent been able to buy them trade for a very long time, the UK had a large delivery not long ago.

N1ck

Are you a retailer?
Any idea whether the recent batch of x3700 have the original AKM DACs or are they still using the lower grade replacements?

ABall

Forum Donor
Are you a retailer?
Any idea whether the recent batch of x3700 have the original AKM DACs or are they still using the lower grade replacements?
No I'm an Installer, we have been waiting months and months for the mid/low priced Denon's at our available distributor. No idea on the DAC's used sorry, I purchased one of the latest 3700's for home a few weeks ago and I have to say, If they are lower grade, I am still VERY VERY happy with it. I had an Onkyo 709 which retailed for 800 quid, (im cheap) I could never listen to it for 2 channel music so ive always had separate pre/power amps and a Gustard-X18 DAC, I have now sold everything and Im done chasing rainbows.

I will pull the lid this weekend and see if the DAC chips are visible without ripping it apart.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Are you a retailer?
I never seen hard evidence that the ESS chips perform worse than the AKMs. Do you have any?

In contrast there is this

N1ck

Is the x3700 using ESS DACs? I thought they used Burr Brown PCM5102a DACs.

Tagh_Azog

Hi there,

I am looking for a solution to my Home Cinema but can't find it anywhere. I cannot use my eARC to send the audio to my current Denon 4520 because my TV doesn't do pass-through on DTS... I cannot either use directly the sources to the Denon because it is old and does not support 4K (HDR, etc.)

Since i want an amp (was looking forward Nuprime MCX or K38), i was looking to preamp that just does well all the current formats and without 200 000 channels... The only one i found is not a preamp, but this Denon X3700H... How come i cannot find a preamp specified in just preamplification and instead find it in integrated amp where i do not need its amp stage at all?
Do i have to pay for a very expensive Anthem 90 updated version (with way too many channels i don't need) to have just the same features of preamplification than the X3700H?

Is there not any good preamp that just supports all the modern features (4K 120Hz, HDR Dolby Vision/HDR10+) ?

Thanks for your help, i'm going crazy with my failing research...

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi there,

I am looking for a solution to my Home Cinema but can't find it anywhere. I cannot use my eARC to send the audio to my current Denon 4520 because my TV doesn't do pass-through on DTS... I cannot either use directly the sources to the Denon because it is old and does not support 4K (HDR, etc.)

Since i want an amp (was looking forward Nuprime MCX or K38), i was looking to preamp that just does well all the current formats and without 200 000 channels... The only one i found is not a preamp, but this Denon X3700H... How come i cannot find a preamp specified in just preamplification and instead find it in integrated amp where i do not need its amp stage at all?
Do i have to pay for a very expensive Anthem 90 updated version (with way too many channels i don't need) to have just the same features of preamplification than the X3700H?

Is there not any good preamp that just supports all the modern features (4K 120Hz, HDR Dolby Vision/HDR10+) ?

Thanks for your help, i'm going crazy with my failing research...
That is certainly something many of us wish for. So far only super expensive ones are known and those often don’t even measure as good as the Denon x Series. I guess the market is still too small for the big brands to bother.

GalZohar

If one can make a receiver with the performance of a processor when used as one, and at a cheaper price than what said processor (with no amps) would cost (for whatever reasons, for example lower demand while requiring separate production), then why not just sell that? I suppose that is why no such product exists. If Denon would think they can make a processor version of the 3700 in a way that they think can increase their profits, I'm sure they would. Also, amp section won't be the only feature that you will never use in the Denon. If they made each feature optional we would have an insane number of variants. Having less products with more features is probably what they find more profitable, and we win in the end by not having to pay separately for each feature, as we get a product that is cheaper than what it would be if tgey had to produce and support many variants.

Tagh_Azog

But if I use only 7.2.4, will the X3700H performs just as well as a Anthem AVM70 which cost 4 times the price (and does not even provide amplification)?
Is the DAC or any electronics inside making better sound quality as a preamp? In my eyes at the moment I see absolutely no reason at all to go for a very expensive preamp while the very low cost X3700H just does everything you need with pre-out...

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
But if I use only 7.2.4, will the X3700H performs just as well as a Anthem AVM70 which cost 4 times the price (and does not even provide amplification)?
Is the DAC or any electronics inside making better sound quality as a preamp? In my eyes at the moment I see absolutely no reason at all to go for a very expensive preamp while the very low cost X3700H just does everything you need with pre-out...
Yes. They both measure pretty much identical. So unless you see a feature in the AVM which you absolutely must have, go or stay with the X3700.

Top Bottom