• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It´s quite possible that this "cathedral" room of yours is masking the sound results, even after room correction. This spaces usually have also lots of glass and reflective floors.
I feel I'm maybe not getting your meaning-you mean the space might be too difficult to room EQ well? Maybe so. This space does not have much glass actually, mostly wood. Floors have rugs though not true acoustic ones. Due to openness and dimensions, I'd expect less room effect than other smaller spaces. So maybe it's the opposite? Actually easier to EQ, so different systems may get similar results?

GalZohar

If you compare 2 different room correction systems the bare minimum you should do for a fair comparison is use the same target curve for both, otherwise you're probably mostly just comparing the effects of the target curve. If you want to hear which one has cleaner sound (if the difference is even audible), then you should disable room correction for both and just make sure the levels are equal. In any case it's getting a bit off topic and probably should get its own thread.

Dmaumau

I feel I'm maybe not getting your meaning-you mean the space might be too difficult to room EQ well? Maybe so. This space does not have much glass actually, mostly wood. Floors have rugs though not true acoustic ones. Due to openness and dimensions, I'd expect less room effect than other smaller spaces. So maybe it's the opposite? Actually easier to EQ, so different systems may get similar results?
That´s quite the opposite. Wood floor and less glass is better, but high ceilings and larger walls, although a bit better for bass in-room response, have far more surface to reflect the mid/high frequencies and it´s quite troublesome for the room correction to smooth the curves.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Due to openness and dimensions, I'd expect less room effect
That´s quite the opposite. Wood floor and less glass is better, but high ceilings and larger walls, although a bit better for bass in-room response, have far more surface to reflect the mid/high frequencies and it´s quite troublesome for the room correction to smooth the curves.
Mmmm, good point. I was thinking more of early reflections, which would come later at less amplitude. But the tail of all that reverb...huh I should measure with REW...

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you compare 2 different room correction systems the bare minimum you should do for a fair comparison is use the same target curve for both, otherwise you're probably mostly just comparing the effects of the target curve.
Ah, yes...although if different systems have different target curves I guess then you have to decide if you are comparing the systems in toto, or trying to suss out their correction power. In this case it was like "OK what does a first pass of ARC sound like?" since I wanted to get to listening to music ;)

GalZohar

With Audyssey/Dirac you have a rather large freedom with the target curve, and Arc gives you a reasonable level of freedom although it's more limited to specific curves you're likely to use anyway (you can only configure several parameters and not a general curve).

Audiomn

Forum Donor
I’m planning on using a Denon X3600H for 7.1.4 Atmos using preouts to a 7 channel Monolith amp and the Denon’s onboard amp for the 4 Atmos speakers.

I noticed in the review that if the internal amp are left on, the preouts clip at 1.5V. The Monolith’s input sensitivity at full power is 1.6V. It outlined that if you enabled 11 channel mode, that the problem would go away.

Would this limitation still apply if put it in the 11 channel mode, but still use the onboard amp for the 4 Atmos height channels? We’re the other preouts tested other than the mains that were redirected to see if they would clip?

The content I will be playing is 7.1.4 channel Atmos content.

Thank you!

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m planning on using a Denon X3600H for 7.1.4 Atmos using preouts to a 7 channel Monolith amp and the Denon’s onboard amp for the 4 Atmos speakers.

I noticed in the review that if the internal amp are left on, the preouts clip at 1.5V. The Monolith’s input sensitivity at full power is 1.6V. It outlined that if you enabled 11 channel mode, that the problem would go away.

Would this limitation still apply if put it in the 11 channel mode, but still use the onboard amp for the 4 Atmos height channels? We’re the other preouts tested other than the mains that were redirected to see if they would clip?

Thank you!

The Denon 3600 doesn't have the same pre-out mode capability as the 3700 model. As a result, the internal amps will always be active with the Denon 3600 turned on, no matter what configuration is selected. The sound should be fine with the Monolith 7x200. I wouldn't over think this. Listen and enjoy.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

Thank you!
It doesn’t clip at 1.5 in a sense that SINAD goes rapidly to eg 1 %. It just slightly drops in SINAD. So no, don’t worry about it.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Thank you!

I have to repeat this many times, the preouts won't clip at 1.5V. Amir' s wording in those reviews are simply confusing/misleading! I suggested he did something about it ling time ago, but received no response.

Focus on the SINAD vs voltage instead of the remark about clipping and you will know there will be no clipping issues with the Monolith amps.

rccarguy

Using Mr Wolfs spreadsheet on avforums you'll still get plenty of output

jd17

Hello everyone, sorry for barging in here with a non-sound related question...
However, I thought there are probably many X3600H owners reading this thread, so it hopefully increases my chance for advice from actual experience. :)

I am interested in buying a pre-owned X3600H, but there is one potential "limitation" I am uncertain about.
When it was introduced, the X3600H did not support HDR10+ passthrough.
Can you guys tell me if that was added via firmware upgrade or if it maybe just works anyhow?

The limitation seems technically strange to me, since 4K/60Hz with Dolby Vision is supported - which does the same thing on paper...

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help with this! :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Can you guys tell me if that was added via firmware upgrade or if it maybe just works anyhow?
I don't know for sure but if it's a deal breaker don't buy until someone can tell you for sure.
I tend to doubt thats upgradeable.
Did you check with the guys on AVSforum ?

tehas

After checking some of the speaker outputs there is some problem on the output which I am pretty sure would DAMAGE SPEAKERS!
Fortunately I had no speakers hooked up so no damage. DO NOT DO THIS until someone finds a solution (if possible).
I do not have the technical know how to figure it out so I am going to go back to normal but I will check if someone thinks they can solve it.
I'm curious, what problem did you see?
Was the problem on the speaker output or on the pre-amp output?
Did you disconnect all the connectors from the amp module board? i Believe there are 4 (pre-in, 2x outputs, 1xmonitor).

01svtL

I have a V1 NAD T758 (Non-Dirac). I'm looking to upgrade to something with 2 sub inputs that will room correct for each one. I have 2 10" Speedwoofers up front next to my mains, and then a 15" HSU ULS sub in the corner of the room to fill in the ultra lows and take advantage of corner loading gains. That said, do any of these tests matter if I end up using the room correction? Meaning, if I went with a used 36/3700 Denon for XT32 or picked up an Anthem MRX520 and ran it as a pre to a power amp in order to use ARC, does it matter that the 3600 measured so much better in these tests? I only have a left and right as far as speakers go, so I run a 2.3 setup. Music is my main focus, all from digital sources. There's a bass suck where I have my speakers and 10" subs, for whatever reason, which is why I NEED the room correction.

Propheticus

... There's a bass suck where I have my speakers and 10" subs, for whatever reason, which is why I NEED the room correction.
Room correction is good for fixing peaks; you dial them down. Not so much for dips; they are caused by cancellations happening by reflections of the direct sound. Increase the volume of the direct sound and you also increase the volume of those reflections causing the cancellations... result: dip is still there.

What helps here is other placement or reflection absorption.

Top Bottom