• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I believe it means that the onboard amp can’t be disable for the center channel even if you’re using the center channel pre-out. I doubt that any of this matters unless you’re doing hi-fi music critical listening, unless you use the center for hi-fi music, which I don’t.

There must be something that my little brain is not computing. There is a pre out which allows you to add an external amp but you can't disable the internal centre channel amp. Doesn't make sense.

How the hell would you use the pre out if the centre channel is using an internal amp, you'll be using two amps simultaneously. I am totally lost. Either you have a pre out or you don't...

Well, yes I will be using the the pre outs for a possible multichannel set up for critical music listening with my own external amps for all channels well 5.1 to be exact and using cheap speakers with the internal amplification for television switching amp assign back and forth to allocate which one ill be using.

John Galt

Forum Donor
There must be something that my little brain is not computing. There is a pre out which allows you to add an external amp but you can't disable the internal centre channel amp. Doesn't make sense.

How the hell would you use the pre out if the centre channel is using an internal amp, you'll be using two amps simultaneously. I am totally lost. Either you have a pre out or you don't...

Well, yes I will be using the the pre outs for a possible multichannel set up for critical music listening with my own external amps for all channels well 5.1 to be exact and using cheap speakers with the internal amplification for television switching amp assign back and forth to allocate which one ill be using.

Yep, the internal amps are still running (even if you’re using pre-outs to outboard amps), wasting electricity, and apparently decreasing sound quality. I know it doesn’t make sense.

The trick mode on the 3600 only allows you to disable the front left and right channel onboard amps. Maddening, isn‘t it? I have a 3500, and there’s not even a trick mode for that model.

Trdat

Forum Donor
"John Galt, post: 390957, member: 13238"]Yep, the internal amps are still running (even if you’re using pre-outs to outboard amps), wasting electricity, and apparently decreasing sound quality. I know it doesn’t make sense.

So are you essentially using the external or internal amp in this case? I'm confused, okay lets waste electricity and decrease sound quality a little(by how much though?) but what amp are we utilising internal or external? And how bad would it be? I need to figure this out:cool:

The trick mode on the 3600 only allows you to disable the front left and right channel onboard amps. Maddening, isn‘t it?

So I wasn't far off with my uncalled for rant, Denon has purposely not allowed to disengage the centre channel so us audiophiles go with the higher models. I think tactics like this deserve to be called out.

John Galt

Forum Donor
So are you essentially using the external or internal amp in this case? I'm confused, okay lets waste electricity and decrease sound quality a little(by how much though?) but what amp are we utilising internal or external? And how bad would it be? I need to figure this out:cool:

So I wasn't far off with my uncalled for rant, Denon has purposely not allowed to disengage the centre channel so us audiophiles go with the higher models. I think tactics like this deserve to be called out.

If you’re using the pre-outs for an outboard amp then the outboard is running your speakers, and the onboard amp for that channel is....generating heat, wasting electricity, producing no sound, and reducing performance of the pre-outs.

When I bought my 3500 I incorrectly assumed that the onboard amps would be completely idle when using my outboard amps. I’m also disappointed that this isn’t the case, but it may be standard practice for other manufacturers as well. I don’t know.

Last edited:

Trdat

Forum Donor
If you’re using the pre-outs for an outboard amp then the outboard is running your speakers, and the onboard amp for that channel is....generating heat and wasting electricity.

Thank you very much for the clarification. But it seems its not that bad, yes its maddening but if I am getting 1.5 volts out of the centre channel then its okay?

When I bought my 3500 I incorrectly assumed that the onboard amps would be completely idle when using my outboard amps. I’m also disappointed that this isn’t the case, but it may be standard practice for other manufacturers as well. I don’t know.

Damn:mad:

Can you also confirm seeing that you are a previous owner of a Denon similar to the X3600 that I should be able to switch amp assign to go from say my external amps to internal amps. A few changes on the remote is cool just checking that is all it is.... I understand there will be no settings savings and that Audyssey might not be applicable to the second application. But at least its an easy change from critical listening to a home theatre set up.

Trdat

Forum Donor
What is the point of this AVR if you cannot use a USB to connect to directly a computer. Then will have to use HDMI and the DAC test was done with coxial, we know HDMI is very poor for audio according to Amir. I am trying to understand why it would be done with coaxial?

Anyway, so in order to connect this to my computer I would need to connect the comp directly to my TV with HDMI then have a optical out to AVR and set the my TV ofr sound to be optical out. But how would the optical compare to the coaxial in the DAC measurements?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the point of this AVR if you cannot use a USB to connect to directly a computer. Then will have to use HDMI and the DAC test was done with coxial, we know HDMI is very poor for audio according to Amir. I am trying to understand why it would be done with coaxial?

Anyway, so in order to connect this to my computer I would need to connect the comp directly to my TV with HDMI then have a optical out to AVR and set the my TV ofr sound to be optical out. But how would the optical compare to the coaxial in the DAC measurements?

HDMI was tested, performance is the same. Also not sure why you wouldn't just connect the computer to the AVR with HDMI. There's no sense in this having USB, the whole point of it is to decode proprietary surround formats like Atmos, not to act as a basic 8 channel DAC nor to connect to PCs.

John Galt

Forum Donor
HDMI was tested, performance is the same. Also not sure why you wouldn't just connect the computer to the AVR with HDMI. There's no sense in this having USB, the whole point of it is to decode proprietary surround formats like Atmos, not to act as a basic 8 channel DAC nor to connect to PCs.

I don’t understand the USB need. The only thing I use the USB port for is for system config backup, everything else is hooked up via HDMI.

tparm

Forum Donor
Ok, neophyte questions here..... I don’t understand the voltage matching of a pre/pro or receiver to external amps; could one expect good results using either a monolith 5x or even a 3x, or outlaw 5000 amp for main channels and assigning four onboard amps for Atmos channels? Recommendation of Monolith or Outlaw?

Also, by installing a miniDSP DDRC-24 in-line I can get Dirac for $400 (I own a UMIK-1)? Having had experience with both XT32 w/ app and Dirac, I prefer Dirac, especially with music.

Onboard hi-res streaming (can get rid of my Node 2), adding Dirac, great user interface, clean-ish ability to add external application all for say $2,450 using a monolith 3 seems to be a great option.

What am I missing? EDIT: guess this only gives me Dirac for sub integration, boo).

Thanks,

Trevor

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
Since home theater is specified for 85dB average with 105 dB peaks, you could argue that a SINAD of 85 is plenty and for full transparency for a premium setup, 105 dB.

Maybe in anechoic room or with over-the-ear headphones. In average room you'll have at least 30dB of noise so you can safely lower your figures by that ammount.

tparm

Forum Donor
Or perhaps Denon just makes a 6600 with more power and same clean DAC architecture. Please.....

Just curious, has anyone seen any legit test results for NAD T778? Not trying to derail the thread, just asking.

carlob

Forum Donor
Just curious, has anyone seen any legit test results for NAD T778?

The T778 supports 4K only for one HDMI out so it's out of question for me even before reading its measurements.

carlob

Forum Donor
two hdmi outs but only one is 4k. I think is the only AVR on the market with this limitation.
Out of question if you have a tv and a projector (both 4k).

tparm

Forum Donor
As I read further the amplifier disconnect may not actually benefit me. I run 5.2.4 so from what I understand i can’t select “11.1” and get the benefit of this capability As I assume it will throw an error code (car term) when XT32 is run since there will be two speakers missing. True or do i misunderstand?

scanspeak

As I read further the amplifier disconnect may not actually benefit me. I run 5.2.4 so from what I understand i can’t select “11.1” and get the benefit of this capability As I assume it will throw an error code (car term) when XT32 is run since there will be two speakers missing. True or do i misunderstand?

Can't you select 11.1 and then when it comes to setting up your speaker sizes, select "none" for the speakers you are not using? Can an owner confirm if this works as most people I assume don't have 11.1 setups?

Last edited:

tparm

Forum Donor
Can't you select 11.1 and then when it comes to setting up your speaker sizes, select "none" for the speakers you are not using? Can an owner confirm if this works as most people I assume don't have 11.1 setups?
That is a very good question.....

scanspeak

I have a 5.1 setup so this is the critical question for me before I pull the trigger.

A.West

Forum Donor
Yes, I didn't even need to reconfigure much or even rerun Audyssey after switching to 11 channel mode. All you lose is Zone 2 capability, which I never wanted. (I own a similar Marantz 6014).
I run a 5.2 speakers setup. Does the lower SINAD really make an audible difference is another question. -95db vs -75db of distortion - either audible?

scanspeak

Thanks :) Can I ask if you have any regrets going with the 6014 vs the X3600H? I'm still on the fence - the Marantz display is the biggest turnoff.

Top Bottom