• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you mean sound quality penalty?
Yes, penalty to sound quality.

It sounds like a new feature announcement for an existing feature. This is good for Roon,s profile.

- Rich

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm in regards to the SINAD chart and the unit showing 99... Do you think there should be some sort of notation that it only applies to the L/R channels in amp assign mode? I would assume people would read the review, but I some may draw the wrong conslusion regarding the SINAD of 99. Might now be necessary but a thought.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here are the HDMI input tests. First the dashboard:

Denon AVR-X3600H AVR X3600 Home Theater Dolby Atmos DAC HDMI Audio Measurements.png

And jitter:

Denon AVR-X3600H AVR X3600 Home Theater Dolby Atmos DAC HDMI Jitter Audio Measurements.png

Basically the same as S/PDIF.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm in regards to the SINAD chart and the unit showing 99... Do you think there should be some sort of notation that it only applies to the L/R channels in amp assign mode? I would assume people would read the review, but I some may draw the wrong conslusion regarding the SINAD of 99. Might now be necessary but a thought.
Yes, I should have been more specific that it is left and right performance.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I guess my big question is, if you attach those Revel M16’s and play some tunes, do you have the same experience as before just wanting to keep listening to the combo?

Yes subjective, but if it all involves components that measure well already, does it all still instill enjoyment as before?

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I don't know if my right eardrum is perforated, but I do get an irritating resonance with french horns, cellos, and certain vocals. I think it's a result of my four children screaming in my ear when they were little, as well as from when I would forget to wear ear plugs at auto racing events over the years.
Indy NASCAR 25 years ago sent me out of the stands.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, first attempt at running Audyssey App was a bust. As soon as it runs the chirp on the left speaker, it complains that it lost connection with the receiver. Of course it has no problem talking to it before or after that. :( Updating the AVR right now to see if that fixes anything.

amira

My experience with the Audyssey App was awful. One of the worst room correction systems I tested, especially with music.

hmt

Amirm, could you test if eco mode really has no influence on SINAD when the pre outs are not in pre amp mode? I suspect that the distortion from the amps sets in much earlier and thus affects the pre outs earlier.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So I guess my big question is, if you attach those Revel M16’s and play some tunes, do you have the same experience as before just wanting to keep listening to the combo?

Yes subjective, but if it all involves components that measure well already, does it all still instill enjoyment as before?
I tested them with my Revel Salon 2 as part of testing the EQ system. I was pleasantly surprised how power was available in two channel mode. It had no trouble pushing these speakers to frightening levels :). It ran pretty hot though as the fan still did not come on.

Thank you Amir for this test.
After my thread todays way to Atmos thankful i understand now what makes the differences. After the thread i choose exactly this AVR. And now after i see your test i´m more happy than ever. For this money i would say this is the best you can choose and i want to say a big THANKs to all of this forum which get me on the right way!

Go on guys!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amirm, could you test if eco mode really has no influence on SINAD when the pre outs are not in pre amp mode? I suspect that the distortion from the amps sets in much earlier and thus affects the pre outs earlier.

In order not to confuse the issue, we should not refer to that as a pre amp mode. Only the X8500H offers the pre amp mode. As you know, the way this "pre amp" mode was achieved, by tricking the avr to think that it is being used for 11.1 channel, so that the front left and right channel amps could be assigned to the height channels and the front left/right to their pre-outs only. I am quite sure this is not a designed feature, it is just a consequence/by product of the amp assign feature. If it was meant to be a two channel pre-amp mode, they would let you do it with the X6500H and SR8012, but you can't do it with those two.

Your suggested test is a good one. Depending on how they limit the power amp output, you may be right that while it won't limit the pre-out voltage, it may in fact result in a drop in SINAD at a lower voltage, say around 0.5 to 0.75 V (just my educated guess). I have been using external amps with my X4400H and have ECO on and front left/right on pre-outs only and have never detected any distortions even at very high level. So even if SINAD did drop, it probably won't be lower than 60, more likely 65 I would think (SINAD 60 is 0.1% THD+N), as that's probably my threshold of audibility.:D

Let's see if Amir has the extra time and is curious enough to do the experiment.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tested them with my Revel Salon 2 as part of testing the EQ system. I was pleasantly surprised how power was available in two channel mode. It had no trouble pushing these speakers to frightening levels :). It ran pretty hot though as the fan still did not come on.

That's why I always suggest putting a quite fan or two on top of those AVRs, Denon or Marantz. Marantz would be slightly warmer due to the extra HDAM buffer stage. I believe the internal fans are there to help limit potential warranty claims, so they don't turn on until the unit hits temperatures that won't be enough to kill it on thermal right away, but will likely be enough to shorten it life expectancy to not much beyond the 3 year warranty period. If you look at the pictures of the heat sinks for the D&M and comparable Yamaha that apparently run cooler, one has to wonder if D&M's are biased a little higher to help minimize crossover distortions. Does the AP has a way to measure crossover distortions, or it just get buried with the THD? If so, I suppose if you could measure down to a minimum of, say 0.01 W/10 mW level, the THD shown would probably be dominated by crossover distortions, am I right, and does the AP has the resolution to go that low?

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, first attempt at running Audyssey App was a bust. As soon as it runs the chirp on the left speaker, it complains that it lost connection with the receiver. Of course it has no problem talking to it before or after that. :( Updating the AVR right now to see if that fixes anything.

I ran my on my Galaxy pad and it also loss communication once in a while, though 9/10 it managed to finish all 13 measurements without issues. It may be possible your have some interference where the avr is located, causing the wifi signal to be not strong/stable enough for the measurements?

Or it could simply be the App missing some updates? I do remember when I first got the App, it did lose connections quite often, there must have been at least 2 or 3 updates since launch.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Introducing the Denon AVP-X3600H 9.2 channel processor - MSRP $899 USD
Denon AVP-X3600H Processsor.jpg

This new slimline processor includes Roon, HEOS, Audyssey and 100 dB S/N preamp outputs at 2 volts.

If only this was real :)

- Rich

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Introducing the Denon AVP-X3600H 9.2 channel processor - MSRP $899 USD
View attachment 59555

This new slimline processor includes Roon, HEOS, Audyssey and 100 dB S/N preamp outputs at 2 volts.

If only this were real :)

- Rich

$899! You got to be kidding, you stripped out 9 channels of power amps and a decent size power supply, and no XLR?? I would say $799 at the most. And for that much money please gold plate the connectors so it can sound warm and musical like its Marantz cousins.;)

Top Bottom