• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

A.West

Forum Donor
No regrets so far. The 6014 hasn't been tested here, but is probably quite similar. I don't know if the pre-outs are different for the 6014, they may be more powerful but less clean. I bought it refurbished (but it looked new to me) for the same price I saw the 3600 listed, so I didn't really pay more for it. I use on screen display, because the viewport is tiny.

rccarguy

I'm considering using this AVR as a av pre in my 7.2 system. I have ATI 2000 series amps. It states 34dB of gain through RCA jacks. Input voltage for full rated power is 1.6v

So will I have any issues leaving it in AVR mode, or best to use the 11channel pre amp hack? I assume L/R speaker outputs on the AVR are disabled, so if I wanted to add height/atmos to move past 7.2, I can just use the AVR for those channels, and the 7 main channels powered by my ATI.

Currently using a Lexicon MC-8

s0schen

Forum Donor
I'm considering using this AVR as a av pre in my 7.2 system. I have ATI 2000 series amps. It states 34dB of gain through RCA jacks. Input voltage for full rated power is 1.6v

So will I have any issues leaving it in AVR mode, or best to use the 11channel pre amp hack? I assume L/R speaker outputs on the AVR are disabled, so if I wanted to add height/atmos to move past 7.2, I can just use the AVR for those channels, and the 7 main channels powered by my ATI.

Currently using a Lexicon MC-8

Just purchased one to pair with Outlaw 7140. The AVR amps are used for the Front Heights and Rear Surrounds. The external amp powers the rest and zone 2. The superior DAC measurements were acquired in 11 channel mode. Mine has been working well so far in an admittedly non audiophile setup. Most importantly it solved some irritating HDMI-CEC issues and hum coming from an 8 yr old receiver.

rccarguy

Has the 4500 been tested wouldn't mind seeing how it fairs, it's only £100 more

tparm

Forum Donor
Kind of off topic, but pertinent based on talk of using external amps for LR channel with this unit; anyone out a Monolith amp on a bench? I haven’t seen a true indepth review with measurements anywhere.

Thanks.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Kind of off topic, but pertinent based on talk of using external amps for LR channel with this unit; anyone out a Monolith amp on a bench? I haven’t seen a true indepth review with measurements anywhere.

Thanks.

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/monoprice-monolith-7-channel-amplifier-review
The nice thing about this amp is that you could use it with all pre-outs on either the 3500 or 3600 while keeping SINAD very low at around 95dB or greater, since it takes less than 1.5 volts for full power.

tparm

Forum Donor
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/monoprice-monolith-7-channel-amplifier-review
The nice thing about this amp is that you could use it with all pre-outs on either the 3500 or 3600 while keeping SINAD very low at around 95dB or greater, since it takes less than 1.5 volts for full power.
Wow, it faired very well. Thanks for the link, I had read that a while back and forgot they tested it that thoroughly. Tempting combo if my AVR850 (shipping to Amir tomorrow) doesn’t measure well.

tparm

Forum Donor
No regrets so far. The 6014 hasn't been tested here, but is probably quite similar. I don't know if the pre-outs are different for the 6014, they may be more powerful but less clean. I bought it refurbished (but it looked new to me) for the same price I saw the 3600 listed, so I didn't really pay more for it. I use on screen display, because the viewport is tiny.
Just looked at the 6014 manual, it has the "11.1" setting too and I'd guess the architecture is very similar to the 3600.

tparm

Forum Donor
I have not used XT32. I was burned out. Take a leap and buy an Anthem. Not cheap and Amir trashed the 520. I bought anyway and will not look back. Anthem room correction is stunning. On a side note, Amir, word correction does weird things to your name. It is becoming weirder. I think it is a conspiracy by "them. "
Read Amir’s review of XT 32? Perhaps you bailed too soon. Coming from a Dirac worshiper,

acal

Has the 4500 been tested wouldn't mind seeing how it fairs, it's only £100 more

I'm also wondering about this well, and especially whether it shares the same ability to get two pre-out channels disconnected from the amps.

Referencing Amir's review of the 3600 and the 3500, and comparing the manuals (and also the 4500), it's not 100% clear to me what needs to go on in the amp assign settings to get pre-outs for the L/R main channels that's disconnected from the amps (I run a 5.0 setup FWIW). Asked differently, what language in the Denon manual makes it obvious that the 3600 can be configured to have pre-out channels (in the main zone) disconnected from the amps, but the 3500 lacks this capability? Looking at images of the back of the 3500 vs 3600 does not make the answer obvious. I think the answer is somewhere here in the 3600 manual (here's the matching section in the 3500 manual) -- it would great if someone could explain how this works (and from there, whether the 4500 can do the same thing).

HionHiFi

I'd be using the Denon 3600 as a 2-ch. integrated amplifier. I'd like to improve the amplifier quality if possible which leads me to the Outlaw Model 2200. However it seems with the 3600's idiosyncrasies the amplifier may or may not be an audible improvement.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be using the Denon 3600 as a 2-ch. integrated amplifier. I'd like to improve the amplifier quality if possible which leads me to the Outlaw Model 2200. However it seems with the 3600's idiosyncrasies the amplifier may or may not be an audible improvement.

But it would allow you to turn the volume up by about 3 dB without worry of any audible degradation.

HionHiFi

But it would allow you to turn the volume up by about 3 dB without worry of any audible degradation.
That’s cool. It wouldn’t really be something I’d benefit a great deal from. I don’t play my system very loud. I probably wouldn’t every push it past the limits of the built-in amplifiers.

rccarguy

Just more concern if you have 4 ohm speakers, which I have. And not worried about damaging the speakers (treble drivers no longer available) I have peace of mind I can crank it up to any level and not damage the speakers (200W x7)

Sure you could move up the range of AVR's to get more power to compete against dedicated amps, but once you do that may as well get seperates.

Buying poweramps is done once in every 15 years, but a new AV heart is more often than that.

HionHiFi

I’m picking up a Denon AVR-X3600H as a 2-Channel Integrated Amplifier. It has so many useful features that I can't ignore. With high resolution audio over HDMI, room correction, power amplifier and good performance, it seems to offer a-lot more value and possibly performance over my NAD C390DD. The benefit of room correction alone I think is enough to negate the higher-endness of the NAD C390DD.

I’d be using the Denon’s built-in amplifiers to drive the PSB Stratus Goldi’s. My focus is audibility and less on empirical measurements, to a certain degree.

I’m trying to figure out if the deficiencies, if any, will affect audio quality during a normal listening session.

Question about DAC performance:
Is the measurement using a continuous 1 kHz test tone?

If so, the clipping “issue” isn't really an issue with real music. Most music isn’t compromised of continuous test tones and thus wouldn’t clip the amplifier and affect DAC performance in the way found in the bench test. The amplifier and DAC issues found in this bench test aren’t likely to be audible at normal listening levels.

If not, are the amplifier and DAC issues found in the bench test audible at normal listening levels?

Note:
I do not have surround speakers yet nor a subwoofer though I may add them in the future.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can you do a digital in, audio out frequency response?
The filter response gives you that for high frequency response:

index.php

As you see, it is flat to 21 kHz or so.

Sagnet

Please help me understand how amp assignment works on this thing. I'm using the X3600H in a pure 5.2 setup, using only the onboard power amps. I rarely go louder than -20 dB, so it's plenty of power for me (what does -20dB translate to in Vrms, by the way?).

I have set the amp assign to 7.2 + Zone2. Does that mean that the two Zone2 amps are idling all the time? Would it make any difference if I switched to 11.1 or 9.1, and set all height speakers to none? Would that turn off the four unused power amps?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please help me understand how amp assignment works on this thing. I'm using the X3600H in a pure 5.2 setup, using only the onboard power amps. I rarely go louder than -20 dB, so it's plenty of power for me (what does -20dB translate to in Vrms, by the way?).

I have set the amp assign to 7.2 + Zone2. Does that mean that the two Zone2 amps are idling all the time? Would it make any difference if I switched to 11.1 or 9.1, and set all height speakers to none? Would that turn off the four unused power amps?
I believe you have set it up to take advantage of the amp assign feature to get the best performance. You have disconnected the R/L amp from your L/R channels so it won't degrade performance by having the amps connected. Nothing else to do (no other layouts will help). Also, unfortunately you cannot turn off the amps, so they are still idling and wasting some energy. I don't know what -20db translates to. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Top Bottom